Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 05-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Default Cruise Moab 2017 Trip Reports

I will start. It was a great event. Running trails in Moab in the desert is awesome.: thumb:

My rear axle broke coming into town from leading Hells on Sat. Ill will spare the details for now. The JadeRunner is at Metric in Grand Junction. Im also in GJ for the night and will miss going to work on Monday. I Hope to be able to get another axle from Mike at Metric and fix whatever else is broken. He has lots of other broken rigs there. Its pretty cool. Jim Sanville works there also. Neil helped me get into GJ (trailered it). Neil never leaves anyone behind.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:50 PM
Disappointing

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Great trip this year. Karie went with me and we ran a TLCA booth on vendor night. Led Fins on Thursday and Kane Creek on Saturday. Got to know Marlin and his wife Christine and their son Big Mike on the Fins run. We had some sheet metal damage on Kane Creek - trail has gotten gnarly. Saw a bunch of old friends from all over including Ross Woody from Cali. Won zero items at the raffle after buying $100 worth of tickets. Wish I was still there!
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Another awesome year of Cruise Moab. We flew our Dad out this year and our older brother came out also. They had a great time and cant wait to come back.

Steve and I ran some easier trails this year and it was a great decision. He was in his matching brown 85 FJ60. Open diffs and 33's, never had a single issue getting up the harder lines. Dome, Jax Trax and Sevenmile rim were very scenic trails that had some fun obstacles. Great groups each day and no major problems. Finally got onto a trail with a 55. Super cool to follow a pig around, especially if they are the two nicest 55's youve ever seen. Dale's FJ45LV was awesome to follow on sevenmile rim. No power steering, no power brakes, 3 on the tree, and a locker

3rd annual motor mount repair on my 60 about a mile into sevenmile rim. Took the transmission out with it also. This is the 5th motor mount Ive destroyed... time to fabricate a new one with a fail safe. I had a back up chain installed but it was slightly too long and the fan was sawing into the shroud. Along with the transmission mount failure, the chain was not enough to hold the engine from shifting around so I ratchet strapped the motor down and finished out the trail and made the highway trip home with no issues.
Attached Images

77 VW Beetle
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed

Long live the carburetor!
Old 05-08-2017, 09:03 AM
Rock Stacker

Thanks for a great event everyone. Here are the handfull of photos I snapped. A few from PSM on Friday, and a few from Metal Masher on Saturday.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2017, 09:23 AM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprosise View Post
Another awesome year of Cruise Moab. We flew our Dad out this year and our older brother came out also. They had a great time and cant wait to come back.

Steve and I ran some easier trails this year and it was a great decision. He was in his matching brown 85 FJ60. Open diffs and 33's, never had a single issue getting up the harder lines. Dome, Jax Trax and Sevenmile rim were very scenic trails that had some fun obstacles. Great groups each day and no major problems. Finally got onto a trail with a 55. Super cool to follow a pig around, especially if they are the two nicest 55's youve ever seen. Dale's FJ45LV was awesome to follow on sevenmile rim. No power steering, no power brakes, 3 on the tree, and a locker

3rd annual motor mount repair on my 60 about a mile into sevenmile rim. Took the transmission out with it also. This is the 5th motor mount Ive destroyed... time to fabricate a new one with a fail safe. I had a back up chain installed but it was slightly too long and the fan was sawing into the shroud. Along with the transmission mount failure, the chain was not enough to hold the engine from shifting around so I ratchet strapped the motor down and finished out the trail and made the highway trip home with no issues.
What brand motor mounts have you been running? Do you have a 2f?
Old 05-08-2017, 10:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Stripe View Post
What brand motor mounts have you been running? Do you have a 2f?
This weekend I broke the 3rd Toyota one, I installed it Monday before I left... Ive also broke two chinese ones. The rubber is delaminating from the top plate.

Ive even filled one stock mount with 1/4 tube of 3M window weld, that one went also, but wasn't fully cured.

Pretty much every time Ive wheeled with a low geared fj60 they have broken a motor mount. Two years ago, Jackson repaired his in moab with 3/16" braided steel cable. He broke the cable the next day on the trail.

Worn out 2F with H55f and 4.56 gears.

77 VW Beetle
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed

Long live the carburetor!
Old 05-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Vice Commander

Once I replace the trans and motor mounts with new Toyota ones at the same time, I never had an issue again. I did always carry a chain though just in case.

2008 mall cruiser - aka Black Beauty - ramps good
1994 fzj80 - nearly 500,000 miles young - thrasher rig
84 FJ60 low gears, locked, fun, rebuilt-2FE - gone
1995 Toyota Camry, 4x4 at heart

"In God [i] trust. All others, bring data"
-E. Deming
Old 05-08-2017, 11:45 AM
Rock Stacker

I ran the Kokopelli trail no issues. Great group of trucks this year.
Attached Images

1994 FZJ80 - 4" Slee lift, Slee front and rear bumper w/ tire carrier, 315 Duratracs, 4.88 Nitro Gears, CDL Switch, Cobra CB in Dash, Superwinch Talon 12.5SR, White Knuckle Sliders, Slee Part Time Kit w/AISIN Hubs, 3 to 1 Transfer Case Gear Reduction, Factory Locked and Loaded!!!
Old 05-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

So many things to say but just a few before I dive back into daily work:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Great trip this year. Karie went with me and we ran a TLCA booth on vendor night.
TLCA booth was unbelievably fantastic. Best ever for TLCA and also just great by any standard. I spent a few impulse dollars there.

Quote:

Steve and I ran some easier trails this year and it was a great decision. He was in his matching brown 85 FJ60. Open diffs and 33's, never had a single issue getting up the harder lines.
One of the things I am appreciating more about Moab is how we can have enough challenge to get the adrenalin rush while being able to just chug along in the scenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazenhart View Post
Thanks for a great event everyone. Here are the handfull of photos I snapped. A few from PSM on Friday, and a few from Metal Masher on Saturday.
Great photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRunner View Post
My rear axle broke coming into town from leading Hells on Sat. I’ll will spare the details for now. The JadeRunner is at Metric in Grand Junction. I’m also in GJ for the night and will miss going to work on Monday. I Hope to be able to get another axle from Mike at Metric and fix whatever else is broken. He has lots of other broken rigs there. It’s pretty cool. Jim Sanville works there also. Neil helped me get into GJ (trailered it). Neil never leaves anyone behind.
Mike Goodnight and his company Metric TLC saved more than one rig this year. I guess we need to warn him in advance next year and give him a personal invitation to CM!

I was once again blown away by everyone's awesomeness. People on both runs I led were simply amazing. Saturday on Poison Spider is sort of becoming a tradition for me and this year the drivers supported each other so well and were so attentive that we hardly stopped to spot. Chris in his 200 from California blew us all away with is capability. The Wisconsin crew delivered fresh (not squeaky fresh, but fresh) cheese curds. My first ones.

My rear locker stopped working while I was gunning Moab Rim Friday so I and another participant chose to head back atthe Z turn. Back at camp I started a slow diagnostic in the heat. It took a village. From Gary's multi meter to the Prosise family brake clean, grease, and RTV, and ultimately hours by Ben Ashcraft who would not stop until it was operating properly - even cutting into raffle dinner time. The inside of the actuator mechanism looked like an artifact from the Titanic. Apparently the service interval is more than once every 24 years. I did not know the actuator has a breather line and that breather needed to be extended to the other breather lines. We removed, cleaned and reinstalled the actuator at camp and it was working beautifully all day Saturday. Of course the front got jealous and stopped working so I'll be rebuilding that one next! I see a rebuild party in the near future.

My new vanity call sign worked great (till my HAM squelch stopped working) - K0FZJ

More to say, but back to work for now.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
This weekend I broke the 3rd Toyota one, I installed it Monday before I left... Ive also broke two chinese ones. The rubber is delaminating from the top plate.

Ive even filled one stock mount with 1/4 tube of 3M window weld, that one went also, but wasn't fully cured.

Pretty much every time Ive wheeled with a low geared fj60 they have broken a motor mount. Two years ago, Jackson repaired his in moab with 3/16" braided steel cable. He broke the cable the next day on the trail.

Worn out 2F with H55f and 4.56 gears.

Stock cross member or AA propeller shaft? Sounds like there is an issue with frame flex.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Welcome. Lots of "northsiders" here in the club. We're known to have some of the strongest, coolest and most awesome club members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior