Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-10-2018, 08:42 PM
Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

Default Spring task list.

I've been going over everything. What needs to be done for CM and what my budget allows. To be honest, i'm pretty impressed with the rig as it stands. Did well in the Swell in December over the bday run.

I'll post my reasoning/choice for equipment in a later build thread. For now. Just looking for advise help on a few items.

Here is what i've prioritized to be ready for CM. Removed a few wanted items for the practicals.

Whats already been done:

Timing belt and Water Pump.
Knock Sensors and MAF.

What i'm looking at:

Streamline fluids etc.
New group 31 battery. Need recommendations.
-Plus new terminals.
CV axles. Again Recommendations. CVJ Axles? Seem to remember using them a lot when at Lexus.
Yeasu-FTM-400xdr.
-This will include a Blue Seas fuse block for installation.
Wire up fridge. What all is needed so as to not rely on cig plug?
-Again, Blue Seas Fues Block?
Recovery Gear.

Thanks all in advance.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  109.1 KB

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 01-11-2018, 12:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have been very happy with Deka batteries, Yeasu-FTM-400 (we sooooo fancy now!) and my blue-sea fuse box equipped aux wiring. Would be fun to work on both in my garage with you!
Old 01-11-2018, 07:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

I've been using the X2 Power batteries since Sears discontinued the platinum series. The X2 is a rebadged NorthStar. I've been really happy with them. No complaints on the Deka AGM in my Subaru. But that one sees little demand to test it.

Witt's End offers some fridge cord replacements using Anderson connectors. You might buy there or simply take it as inspiration to build your own.

I can't help much with CV's.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-11-2018, 07:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh4rnnr View Post
Wire up fridge. What all is needed so as to not rely on cig plug?
I missed this part for the fridge. The ARB cord with plug that screws into the ARB socket is a winner. Kurt sells them. Wire the socket from the blue sea auxiliary fuse box. Done.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Witt's End offers some fridge cord replacements using Anderson connectors. You might buy there or simply take it as inspiration to build your own.
Are you talking about these?

http://absolute-wits-end.com/anderso...te-wiring-kit/

For $145 you can buy a whole lot of stock Engel cords to cut and refit with Power Poles. Wow. And what's with using the SB50 connectors? Those are rated over 100 amps for a fridge that draws 2 amps.

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 01-11-2018, 08:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have Anderson Powerpole connectors if you need a few.

I would run a large ga wire with a large fuse (100amp?, rating of wire and max of fuse block) to a blue sea in the rear of the truck. Then you always have power back there for anything you want to do in the future.

Horribly Painted Moonglow '95 FZJ80 Has Some - Still Needs More!
White 2008 GX470 - Begging for a lift
1967 FJ40 - Nearly Stock

"When you come upon the guy barely pushing on his pedals, barely turning the cranks, RESERVE JUDGEMENT...for you have no idea the HELL he conquered before you finally caught up to him." PDL

http://www.vrbo.com/322094
Old 01-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Are you talking about these?

http://absolute-wits-end.com/anderso...te-wiring-kit/

For $145 you can buy a whole lot of stock Engel cords to cut and refit with Power Poles. Wow. And what's with using the SB50 connectors? Those are rated over 100 amps for a fridge that draws 2 amps.
That is what I was referring too. Yes the cost is high thus why the inspirational comment. I get pricing as a low volume item. But if you can do it yourself the. Obviously do so.

If you have an Engel there is always the hardware kit from them. https://www.engelcoolers.com/dc-cord-hard-wire.html
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGEONE View Post
I would run a large ga wire with a large fuse (100amp?, rating of wire and max of fuse block) to a blue sea in the rear of the truck. Then you always have power back there for anything you want to do in the future.
I do this. Fusebox in the 80 is on the side of the passenger seat (a location pioneered by Christo)

For line protection I am a fan of the "Marine Rated Battery Fuse" (MRBF) Terminal Fuse Blocks by Blue Sea or Cooper/Bussman. They protect against short circuit to ground by the power feed line. For example: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Systems-.../dp/B071H9NL9G
Old 01-13-2018, 03:48 PM
Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
I have been very happy with Deka batteries, Yeasu-FTM-400 (we sooooo fancy now!) and my blue-sea fuse box equipped aux wiring. Would be fun to work on both in my garage with you!
Maybe a Fridge/Ham install party at Markofsky's once I get all items?

Quote:
I've been using the X2 Power batteries since Sears discontinued the platinum series. The X2 is a rebadged NorthStar. I've been really happy with them. No complaints on the Deka AGM in my Subaru. But that one sees little demand to test it.

That's a nice battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGEONE View Post
I have Anderson Powerpole connectors if you need a few.

Thanks for the offer on those..

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 01-13-2018, 04:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:

X3 on the x2 batteries. Weve got a few & they are bomber. The one in the troopy sits for weeks on end without being started, with the clock/radio draws & such, but has never failed to hit like a champ when we turn it over. It is several years old to at the point (5 or 6 at the least). Ive got a pro deal at batteries plus, which is worth about 10% off or so. You are welcome to use it if you end up getting a battery there.