Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

I believe it does have the camper sway bar. I know it has the tow package. Regards the rocking horse ride on the concrete section of 285, the guy at Aspen Park Automotive says it is notorious. Long wheel base vehicles of any kind suffer.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

My Tundra will rock sometimes on concrete roads, my buddy noticed it too in his '07 F-150. Dunno.
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari intercooled turbo, Warn M12000, OEM CDL switch, cup holder, and hand throttle, Metric TLC leather, heated seats, JDM switches, Puma OBA
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
I dunno, I don't do AutoZone, but only one set of Ranchos could be said to have really failed (the second set got some tiny amounts of air that allowed small undamped movement - which the Chili, bless her heart, exposed immediately. as in, ... ). The first set just weeped a bit. Still free replacement. Show me some shocks that don't eventually weep
x2 I'm still running my first set of Rancho 9000x's. Goin on 5 years now and they're just showing surface rust but still work fine.

TLCA #23166

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, SOLD, then totalled

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 06-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I believe it does have the camper sway bar. I know it has the tow package. Regards the rocking horse ride on the concrete section of 285, the guy at Aspen Park Automotive says it is notorious. Long wheel base vehicles of any kind suffer.
Front to back rocking yes, but the side to side is what you really want to control especially when you have to drive with strong cross winds.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 NOW 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock & (2) 1970 Boss 302 Mustang's THEN 69 FJ40 Buggy "Meanie", Mini-truck "Gecko" & 74 FJ40 "Blue Mule"
Old 06-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Oh yes they do. Even my corrolla rocks slightly on that section. My dads Taco with FWC is really bad. My 4runner gets it some, but nothing like the taco.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 06-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

OK, you 7.3 PSD owners... what oil and change interval do you run? I have heard bad things about Rotella T synth for some reason but can't track down exactly why...???

(This thread just turned into a dreaded oil thread... )
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
OK, you 7.3 PSD owners... what oil and change interval do you run? I have heard bad things about Rotella T synth for some reason but can't track down exactly why...???

(This thread just turned into a dreaded oil thread... )
I used to use Rotella in my Cummins Dodge. At 100,000 I had the valves adjusted and the diesel shop in Az stated there was a lot of sludge in the engine and asked if I was using Rotella. When I told him yes, he recommended using Valvoline Premium Blue, so I switched. He had seen problems with Rotella engines before. I changed oil about every 5000 miles. Just fyi...Terry

"2016" Tundra 4X4 Crew Max, -Airstream Tow Vehicle "Daily Driver"
Old 06-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttubb View Post
I used to use Rotella in my Cummins Dodge. At 100,000 I had the valves adjusted and the diesel shop in Az stated there was a lot of sludge in the engine and asked if I was using Rotella. When I told him yes, he recommended using Valvoline Premium Blue, so I switched. He had seen problems with Rotella engines before. I changed oil about every 5000 miles. Just fyi...Terry
this is what I run in my duramax, and I ran in my previous 7.3 also. Same intervals, about 5K
Old 06-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

In the past, I ran <whatever's on sale> 15w-40 diesel oil in my 7.3 and changed it every 3K. I have switched to synthetic Rotella T6 5w-40 and will change it at 6K intervals. Many folks in the FTE forum run the T6 synthetic on a 10K mile interval and have done Blackstone reports to back up the idea. Since 7.3s are very hard on oil (the injectors cause oil breakdown due to sheer) they are simply an engine that needs more frequent changes. I have not read/heard of issues with any Rotella. My truck seems to burn a bit of the 5W-40, but not an excessive amount.

I really like the T6 5w-40 in the winter - easy starts, no romps, much less gray smoke. I have one (or 2) dead glow plugs, so a 5 degree F start for me is quite an adventure in smoke. With 15w-40 a start at that temp (without a block heater) was a gamble. With T6, it fires right up.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

T6 5w-40 too. Change it annually, which works out to about 5k miles.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com