Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

I always use the Wal-Mart brand 15w-40 dino oil in all of my diesels. In my 7.3's I changed it at 5K even though the Blackstone report said I could easily go to 7500 and still be safe. All of those trucks went 200K+ without an issue.

In my Dodge 6.7 I routinely ran the same oil to 10K based on the Blackstone reports. It was still well within the safety margins.

According to the Blackstone reports, the Wal-Mart oil has the same lubricity and anti wear additives that the higher priced name brands have, so I never saw the value of paying more for Rotella, Valvoline, etc. This is the same oil my father-in-law ran in his Caterpillar tractors and Kenworth dump trucks. I helped him maintain those rigs and rebuild engines and I never saw any sign of premature wear due to using the less expensive oil.

For me the same logic applies for synthetic oil. Unless you are going to run it for 10K+ miles using oil reports to guide you, I think you are just pouring money down the drain.

There Bill, I kicked it off so we can now have a proper oil arguement
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 NOW 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock & (2) 1970 Boss 302 Mustang's THEN 69 FJ40 Buggy "Meanie", Mini-truck "Gecko" & 74 FJ40 "Blue Mule"
Old 06-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

LOL
So... the Rotella that reportedly sludges... are we talking synth or dino?

Hmmm, I just can't get past the idea of running WallyWorld oil in my $12K motor... I've always been a Valvoline guy, and run Valvoline SynPower in the Chili. But SynPower is not diesel rated (and not cheap). By Valvoline blue premium you mean dino oil? There is always Motorcraft oil at WallyWorld and it is actually a) not too expensive and b) comes in 5 qt. jugs, making the math easier for 15 qt. oil changes without any left over.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

you're way overthinking it. go to autozone, by diesel rated valvoline blue, or whatever brand you want, and run it. No ones ever blown one up because of dino vs synthetic. Put the wrong oil in maybe but diesel formulated oil, you'll be fine.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

FWIW, the NAPA brand oil is the same as Valvoline. look on the back of the bottle. Save yourself some $$ when changing chili oil next time.
82 FJ40
Old 06-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
LOL
So... the Rotella that reportedly sludges... are we talking synth or dino?

Hmmm, I just can't get past the idea of running WallyWorld oil in my $12K motor... I've always been a Valvoline guy, and run Valvoline SynPower in the Chili. But SynPower is not diesel rated (and not cheap). By Valvoline blue premium you mean dino oil? There is always Motorcraft oil at WallyWorld and it is actually a) not too expensive and b) comes in 5 qt. jugs, making the math easier for 15 qt. oil changes without any left over.
Remember Walmart doesn't refine their own oil. They just buy a bazillion gallons a year from one of the 3 or 4 refiners that make all US motor oil, and slap it in a bottle with their brand on it. Read the bottles, they will tell you the oil meets all of the same specifications as the more expensive oils. Try one oil change with it, send the used sample in to Blackstone whenever you decide to change it and keep the results. Then do it all over again using your most expensive dino oil for comparison. Compare the results of the 2 oil reports, you will see no difference. Thats the best way to prove it to yourself, scientific evidence. Everything else is just marketing hype.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 NOW 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock & (2) 1970 Boss 302 Mustang's THEN 69 FJ40 Buggy "Meanie", Mini-truck "Gecko" & 74 FJ40 "Blue Mule"
Old 06-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
FWIW, the NAPA brand oil is the same as Valvoline. look on the back of the bottle. Save yourself some $$ when changing chili oil next time.
Same as SynPower? As in, refined by Valvoline?
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Same as SynPower? As in, refined by Valvoline?
Both are refined by Ashland. Like Randy said above, most oils come from a handful of refineries and they are rebadged to go to wherever retail outlet they need to go.
82 FJ40
Old 06-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

What Jeremy and Randy said, even though I happen to run Rotella, and put next to no stock in the whole Rotella/sludge thing. Search both terms on FTE. You won't find much.

I prefer synthetic purely because of the cold start issue. I had to start mine with 15w-40after sitting outside in Crested Butte for a few days, and it was not a fun experience. I got it started, but it took awhile, and sounded like it was going to come apart for the first few minutes.

Also, count on having some oil around. If you beat on one of these for 5000 miles between changes, you'll have to add some.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Both are refined by Ashland. Like Randy said above, most oils come from a handful of refineries and they are rebadged to go to wherever retail outlet they need to go.
Yep, the only difference between the various brands is they each have their own "secret" formula they give to the refiner to blend. The truth is they all use the same additives to combat foaming, give better lubricity, etc, etc. They just use them in different quantities to differentiate their product.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Oh and it is no mystery either... it says it on the back of the bottle...
82 FJ40