Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
OK, Randy's Dodge is nice, but why over the Duramax?
Didn't Randy trade that in and get a Ford last year?
2000 4 Runner, my daughter's truck, thanks Dan!
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 05-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattybumppo View Post
Didn't Randy trade that in and get a Ford last year?
Yes he did.

As mentioned before, don't rule out a 07+ tundra with the 5.7. That is what I tow the 40 with and it has plenty of power. I think I bew past NattyB on Sunday......

97 LX450
Old 05-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

I've had every brand of diesel pickup at one time or another since I got my 1986 Ford with a non-turbo diesel. My two cents:

If you go with a Dodge go with an 2007.5 or newer. That gets you the 6.7 diesel instead of the 5.9. The 6.7 will walk away from any 5.9 towing unless the 5.9 is heavily modified. Plus, the 6.7 equipped units have the new 5 speed automatic that is integrated into the standard exhaust brake. That tranny is equal to the allison as far as strength and reliability and the exhaust brake is the best in the industry hands down. A good running 6.7 will out tow a comparable Ford or GM truck. Dodge's quality has improved as far as the cabs and interior but still just below Ford/GM in fit & finish, they are also slightly smaller than a similar GM/Ford. Dodge fixed the CEL issue with the early 6.7's via ECM SW changes. The Dodges are notorious for needing the ball joints replaced up front at 65K to 80K miles. If you replace them with the good after market units then it's fixed for a long time. The other downside to me is the Dodge's do not offer a locking hub up front so the front drive train turns all of the time (Ford & GM's have hubs). Comparable rigs, the Dodge will always be the least expensive. Comparable rigs, the Dodge will usually have slightly less fuel economy because of the emissions system they use. They inject fuel behind the turbo on the exhaust stroke so it burns in the DPF to burn out the soot. It impacts fuel MPG by 1-2 mpg compared to a Ford or GM. However on a newer Ford/GM you have to buy urea fluid every 2500 miles ($12 for 3 gallons at Walmart) whereas the Dodge does not require urea.

As far as Fords, assuming you want a newer style unit, stay away from the 6.0 units. Beautiful trucks but the owner that has a 6.0 that hasn't blown up or suffered major issues are the exception. Ask me how I know. Ford also made a 6.4 truck for 2-3 years, these were also International diesels that had twin turbos and suffered few of the issues the 6.0 had. They were very powerful but their fuel mileage was horrible. I have the new 6.7 diesel Ford calls the Scorpion, actually made by Ford. So far the entire truck has been perfect, only time will tell. The Ford has an excellent automatic tranny with a factory trailer brake controller integrated into the electronics of the engine/tranny. When you have your trailer plugged in it senses it and adjusts your shift points to maximize power while increasing tranny line pressure to make shifts firmer, less slipping, less heat, etc. It also controls the exhaust brake on downhills. The Ford exhaust brake works OK and will hold my truck with camper/trailer/FJ40 going down the Georgetown grade in 4th gear at 65mph without touching the brakes. But, it doesn't hold a candle to the exhaust brake on the Dodge. Fuel economy is better than the Dodge and about the same as a GM. Pulling power I would say is ever so slightly less than my Dodge. With the same camper/trailer/FJ40 the Dodge would hit the tunnel going West at 70mph whereas the Ford is only doing 60-65. The Ford is probably the most expensive of the 3 but has by far the nicest interior, the most room and the smoothest ride.

The GM/Chevys are also great trucks. Some of the older ones had minor engine issues but nothing like the 6.0 Fords. The allison trannys have always been very strong. In an empty truck drag race the GM will always win with the Ford in 2nd and the Dodge 3rd. Loaded, pulling 12K it would probably be Dodge, GM then Ford across the finish line. Interior fit & finish is good (body by Fisher, right?). Gm's exhaust brake is better than the Ford but not as good as the Dodge, plus only the newer GM's have an exhaust brake. If you will be towing it is worth getting a truck equipped with one. The only reason I didn't buy a new one last year was I preferred the Ford's exterior look and Motorola employees got a huge discount from Ford.

All of the new trucks are rated at 400 hp and about 450 ft lbs of torque. You would be happy with any brand you choose. A unmodified truck that has been well maintained up to 100k miles is just getting broke in. If you find a truck you have questions about, give me a call.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 NOW 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock & (2) 1970 Boss 302 Mustang's THEN 69 FJ40 Buggy "Meanie", Mini-truck "Gecko" & 74 FJ40 "Blue Mule"
Old 05-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

I purchased a 01 Ford 7.3 low mileage and very clean if I might say. I looked at all brands and you should do the research. Chevy Dmax/Allison are very hard to find or beat, Ford 7.3 powerstroke 99 till 03 are great , but the Dodges don't get very good reviews for fit and finish (engine is strong Cummins is bad ass but the rest is weak

I would go with a 1 ton deisel truck not a 3/4 ton. Weight on truck campers can be and is deceiving . My 1999 S&S Camper is 2850 lbs dry weight Not very heavy till its loaded and wet. Toss Red Chili on a trailer and you are there.
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Good info all, especially Randy, thank you much. The nicer newer Dodges look to be a bit over my price range unless it was a high miler. So if I found a low miler it would likely be a 5.9. Bad choice?

Yep, learned enough this week to stay away from the 6.0 Fords. I did find a '00 7.3L with 80K miles/ 1 owner for a nice price, but very basic trim package including crank windows. Air was (thankfully) added. That would save quite a bit... but... I hope to live with this thing for 10-20 years. It would be nice to have SOME creature comforts.

My credit union is now on the hunt for a truck, and if I go through them I save another 1% on the loan, which I am pre-approved for. So sooner or later it will happen. Not to say it wouldn't be worth it to jump on a low mileage one!

We'll see... :popcorn:
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
Yes he did.

As mentioned before, don't rule out a 07+ tundra with the 5.7. That is what I tow the 40 with and it has plenty of power. I think I bew past NattyB on Sunday......
Mmm, I dunno... premium price, not diesel... Mileage lugging a truck camper around plus the occasional flat tow?
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Mmm, I dunno... premium price, not diesel... Mileage lugging a truck camper around plus the occasional flat tow?
Just realized you want to put a camper on the truck in addition to pulling a trailer.....stay away from a fuely, go desiel.

97 LX450
Old 05-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

bill - i am prejudice on the 7.3's from when I worked for fomoco. All I'll say is just how many international 4500/4700 trucks do you see still doing duty (same motor), how many ambulances do you see that are 7.3's, etc etc.

The glow plug issue has one simple fix. Either wait for the flipping light to go out, or plug it in below 30 deg.

as for the tranny, add a cooler and your fine.

as for suspension, yeah, it's leaf, but they are super stable and can actually handle rough duty. we all know about the problems dodge had with it's 3 link on the early/mid dodges.

having own a chevy fueler 3/4ton, I can tell you that they are nice on the highway. Ford didn't pay attention to the creature comforts until the mid 2000's.

If I were looking, and cost was an issue, I would jump on the first 7.3 I could find with no gooseneck in the back, with a documented history.

john (johnny) henley
Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

What Beater said...

We've had our '01 Excursion for 9 years, and I hope to own it at least 10+ more. The original tranny only lasted 17K, as the early '01's had a known problem that tended to take them out at a young age. The Ford reman replacement lasted exactly 100K before the coast clutches went out. I replaced it with a BTS, though Ford now makes a 4R100HD that wouldn't be a bad choice, and is less money. As Johnny said, a tranny cooler helps a lot, and is cheap.

Other than the tranny, maintenance hasn't been too bad, and I could do just about all the work myself. Most of it has been brakes, front axle service, fixing exhaust and boost leaks, etc. If you decide you want more power, the cost of ownership starts to go up, though is still way cheaper than a $65K new one.

The problem with the 7.3's is that people know what they have. I'm not at all interested in selling, but if I were I'd want a fortune, and would likely get it.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 05-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
bill - i am prejudice on the 7.3's from when I worked for fomoco. All I'll say is just how many international 4500/4700 trucks do you see still doing duty (same motor), how many ambulances do you see that are 7.3's, etc etc.

The glow plug issue has one simple fix. Either wait for the flipping light to go out, or plug it in below 30 deg.

as for the tranny, add a cooler and your fine.

as for suspension, yeah, it's leaf, but they are super stable and can actually handle rough duty. we all know about the problems dodge had with it's 3 link on the early/mid dodges.
If I were looking, and cost was an issue, I would jump on the first 7.3 I could find with no gooseneck in the back, with a documented history.
On my 97 PS... Though I was irritated at the Ford dealer's inability to fix a cold weather idle issue, and also at the new paint that cracked on the hood requiring a repaint (under warranty, but still...)... that was then and this was now. My mech skilz have improved, and then I was hankering for a wheeler so the PS went. Now I find myself wishing I still had that thing. I found the ride just fine and hell for stout, and creature comforts, if a tad Neanderthal and supersized, were fine. 17mpg no matter where or how I drove. I plugged it in every winter night and had no troubles there.

Yer making me think I should jump on that affordable base model I found... Came across another one with 20K miles (not a typo), but of course it was as gone as an F14 hittin' the burners... Bird in hand, birds in bush... dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
What Beater said...

We've had our '01 Excursion for 9 years, and I hope to own it at least 10+ more. The original tranny only lasted 17K, as the early '01's had a known problem that tended to take them out at a young age. The Ford reman replacement lasted exactly 100K before the coast clutches went out. I replaced it with a BTS, though Ford now makes a 4R100HD that wouldn't be a bad choice, and is less money. As Johnny said, a tranny cooler helps a lot, and is cheap.

Other than the tranny, maintenance hasn't been too bad, and I could do just about all the work myself. Most of it has been brakes, front axle service, fixing exhaust and boost leaks, etc. If you decide you want more power, the cost of ownership starts to go up, though is still way cheaper than a $65K new one.

The problem with the 7.3's is that people know what they have. I'm not at all interested in selling, but if I were I'd want a fortune, and would likely get it.

Mark
Thanks for the input. From what I have found, despite their numbers, despite ruling out any 6.0L, there are more Fords in my price range than Dodges.

If anyone has a line on one, dinner is on me.

[edit] Hmmm, lotsa knowledge here. I think we need a diesel forum kinda like the moto forum... There's a lot of knowledge, but also a lot of BS out there on them interwebs.
KDRCH
Bio Page