Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
it's a manual.
Duh. I knew that. An EGT gauge is still worthwhile.

As far as the harsh ride goes, take a look at how far you are off the front bump stops. I wouldn't think this would be a problem with the trucks, but the X's were only about 1/2" off from the factory. They bottomed out on road paint, and rode like you are describing. As you know, it may just be that the thing was made to carry stuff, and the rear needs some weight to ride well.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Re: the ride - don't run 80 psi in the tires all the time, if that's the way it sits now. It will wear out the center of the tire and it will ride more poorly. I sometimes leave 80 in the back and 55 in the front - but 80 in the front results in a brutal ride. I just put KYB GasAdjust shocks on my '01 Crew/shortbed ($178 from Rock Auto) and they are just right - not too firm, but firm enough. I didn't want to spend yet another $100 more on Bilsteins, so these were a deal. A load in the back will smooth things out, too. With the highly-sophisticated 2 leaf front springs, don't expect much in the ride department.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

80 is for loaded only iirc. I'd run probably 20% less unloaded.

john (johnny) henley
Old 06-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Bill;

Another powerstroke fan here, got two of them in the fleet, one 99 6spd an one 03 auto. Stay with the fords, my friend. The new 6.7 is said to be a match with the old 7.3. I think your old problems where just one truck and that dealer. More than welcome to look at both of mine someday, if you wish.
99 F350 reserve hauler
03 F350 crew cab dually the bigger hauler
04 Lance 1121
90 fastiva r.i.p. 336k
01 vw golf daily driver Gone
01 Tacoma double cab
KDDHQ
Old 06-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

Cool, Mike... yeah I am committed to this one...
20 year truck. I try to not buy anything else.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
Duh. I knew that. An EGT gauge is still worthwhile.

As far as the harsh ride goes, take a look at how far you are off the front bump stops. I wouldn't think this would be a problem with the trucks, but the X's were only about 1/2" off from the factory. They bottomed out on road paint, and rode like you are describing. As you know, it may just be that the thing was made to carry stuff, and the rear needs some weight to ride well.

Mark
Yeah, it definitely rides better with the camper. Still slightly off the overloads. Has a lot more sway (nothing unmanageable, just noticeable) and I noticed it tends to rock a bit which made me think shocks are at end of life.

Good advice all, I will look out for deals on shocks. Airbags may be in the future but I'm not really looking for cash drains right now if I can avoid it...
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Hmmm, seems like there are a lot of Rancho haters on FTE... admittedly I have had to replace two complete sets on the Chili, but each time was for free under warranty and amounted to a significant upgrade with the latest design... ???

Four Wheel Parts has a sale on today with a $100 rebate which makes it not unreasonable to pick up 9 way adjustable gas charged shocks. Huh.

So whassup with all that hatin'?
KDRCH
Bio Page
Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Hmmm, seems like there are a lot of Rancho haters on FTE... admittedly I have had to replace two complete sets on the Chili, but each time was for free under warranty and amounted to a significant upgrade with the latest design... ???

Four Wheel Parts has a sale on today with a $100 rebate which makes it not unreasonable to pick up 9 way adjustable gas charged shocks. Huh.

So whassup with all that hatin'?
I guess it's like buying reman parts at Autozone... If you don't mind replacing them often then go for it?

I prefer to get stuff that lasts a while so I don't feel like I am doing the same crap twice.
82 FJ40
Old 06-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

I dunno, I don't do AutoZone, but only one set of Ranchos could be said to have really failed (the second set got some tiny amounts of air that allowed small undamped movement - which the Chili, bless her heart, exposed immediately. as in, ... ). The first set just weeped a bit. Still free replacement. Show me some shocks that don't eventually weep.

Even after the rebate, Bilsteins are cheaper. So I got those.
KDRCH
Bio Page
Old 06-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

New shocks may help the camper sway a little but don't expect a big improvement. If your truck doesn't have the camper special package on it, start checking around with the wrecking yards. You want to get the anti-sway bar and brackets that come with the camper special option. They were fairly common and I think the range of years that will fit the rear of your truck is pretty big.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 NOW 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock & (2) 1970 Boss 302 Mustang's THEN 69 FJ40 Buggy "Meanie", Mini-truck "Gecko" & 74 FJ40 "Blue Mule"