Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-29-2016, 08:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Its terrible for us. It will be interesting to see how san juan co reacts to it.

Honestly in the explosion of utvs and travel in that area i haven't seen significant destruction in that area. I mean tower ruin look as it did 15 years ago. I see more destruction of petroglyphs in needles than i do in the bears ears. That should tell you something
TLCA#4180

Last edited by wesintl; 12-31-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default New info

New article from National Geographic, sheds more light on how the two new monuments will be used. More encouraging in some way.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...t-utah-nevada/

Still allows 4 wheel travel and will retain current oil and gas well, some other resource use. But prevents new resource use moving forward. More appealing to me now.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

^This. During the campaign, Trump mentioned selling off federal land in his bid to "reduce the size of government". A monument is harder to sell than BLM. The area has a bunch of gas potential, so it was thought that it would be first on the list of things to be sold.

The reason there isn't that much UTV damage is that its remote and you'd have to carry a bunch of gas. There are easier areas for the UTV's to rip up and destroy, so they stay closer to Moab proper. However, as they continue to decimate those areas, I doubt it will be long before they move further afield. Once that happens, I bet everything gets closed off, monument or not.

I'm bummed that it will be even easier to close the roads since its not BLM, but if they keep the roads open and continue to allow camping, then I'm less bummed. If it got sold, it would just be completely shut and gone forever.

I guess we will see.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 12-30-2016, 12:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

It sounds like Gov Herbert and AG Reyes plan to fight the designation: http://www.sltrib.com/news/4730722-1...-to-use?page=1

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 12-30-2016, 01:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

I think the designation is overdue, considering the "interest" that resource developers have shown in the area.

And the designation specifically maintains currently authorized uses, including "off road vehicle recreation." The most sure way to close an area to guys like us is to put in big mines and oil development. If at some point in the future there are ridiculous trail closures put forth, at least there's a comment period. And I would suggest that this is the type of area that the case can be very well made for the lack of harm we can do--in that it's an area not overrun by side-by-sides and people ripping it up generally. The only people I've seen off road in those areas are doing it because they want to see it and protect it.

...as to Utah's politicians being up in arms about it being done the "wrong way" I ask where the legislation to do it the right way is? Nothing stops them from enshrining it's designation legislatively even now. And it's protection is something I'm concerned about, given the president elect's statements about "selling" public land.

Dan
Old 12-31-2016, 10:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

This is an area that I have visited and hiked for the last 11 years. It is a beautiful area with a huge amount of sites that need to be protected. Unfortunately since most of this area is remote it has not been greatly disturbed. I am afraid that this designation will just bring in more people that are not interested in the beauty and historical value of the area. Two good examples years ago was in Arch Canyon where I love to camp at its entrance. One time traveling through the canyon, there were alot of kids (college - Southern Utah University) that were cataloging the rock art and picking up all of the pottery that are found everywhere in that canyon. The university was hired to do this to preserve the historical data. I asked where all of the pottery was going and they said in a warehouse for the forseeable future. That's a great way to preserve the sites for future generations. Second - the group "Old Broads for wilderness" (name??) was camped at the entrance to the canyon in their fancy cars, tents, brought in porti potties and catered meals. Then after 2 days they were gone back to the cities and their comfortable lives. I had to stay away from them as they were so venonous about anyone able to access the canyon, either with a vehicle or on foot. Yes we do need to protect this area but I not sure that drawing attention to the area is the best way. We need a off-road trip out there soon!
Old 12-31-2016, 11:20 AM
Hard Core 4+

For the record the "Broads" are out of Durango http://www.greatoldbroads.org
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-02-2017, 12:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

It looks like Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) HR-621(?--I thought it was 261) tries to sell off about 3 million acres of federal land. Including a sizable chunk of the new Bears Ears National Monument.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ement-chaffetz

I havne't found a specific map of which parcels within the monument it seeks to sell, but the 1997 document that identified lands for "disposal" includes acreage in the area--although I don't see a map or parcel numbers.

Dan
Old 02-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Land Use Co-Coordinator

Oh how the pendulum swings. As far as I can tell no one knows exactly where these parcels fall. Selling off public land is not cool; this train needs to be stopped before it even leaves the station
2016 Sequoia
TLCA #22702
Old 02-02-2017, 10:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindranger View Post
Oh how the pendulum swings. As far as I can tell no one knows exactly where these parcels fall. Selling off public land is not cool; this train needs to be stopped before it even leaves the station
This enrages me. What can be done?