Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Trail Ready

Default Diesel swap laws?

What are the laws in Denver regarding putting a Toyota diesel motor that wasn't offered in the usa into a usa 1fz powered fj80? Im guessing its not legal.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Stripe View Post
What are the laws in Denver regarding putting a Toyota diesel motor that wasn't offered in the usa into a usa 1fz powered fj80? Im guessing its not legal.
Why are you guessing that?

There's plenty of legal ways to do it.

If you are remotely serious, I would go to your county inspection office (the county run smog check places) and ask to talk to someone--because they will be the ones who are required to inspect it when it's all done.

In general:
  • Engine from the same "class" of vehicle
  • Engine same age or newer than vehicle
  • No emissions equipment removed

And you'll be fine just about anywhere in the country. I've swapped diesels into 3 Toyotas (and slowly finishing up a 4th) now, in a more stringent area than CO. Last time (the 61) I was in and out of the inspection office in 10 minutes, most of that was the inspectors ogling the engine and the swap.

Dan
Old 05-01-2017, 11:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

Unfortunately a lot of 1HD-T and 1HD-FT engines predate 1FZ 80s, so you'd probably be looking at trying to source a later 1HD-FT or 1HZ to do the swap, or get an earlier 80 rolling chassis to swap into. I can't remember all the year cutoffs in detail but it's probably going to be something like that.
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari intercooled turbo, Warn M12000, OEM CDL switch, cup holder, and hand throttle, Metric TLC leather, heated seats, JDM switches, Puma OBA
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 05-01-2017, 11:44 AM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
Why are you guessing that?

There's plenty of legal ways to do it.

If you are remotely serious, I would go to your county inspection office (the county run smog check places) and ask to talk to someone--because they will be the ones who are required to inspect it when it's all done.

In general:
  • Engine from the same "class" of vehicle
  • Engine same age or newer than vehicle
  • No emissions equipment removed

And you'll be fine just about anywhere in the country. I've swapped diesels into 3 Toyotas (and slowly finishing up a 4th) now, in a more stringent area than CO. Last time (the 61) I was in and out of the inspection office in 10 minutes, most of that was the inspectors ogling the engine and the swap.

Dan
I thought I read that somewhere that's why I I was only guessing
Old 05-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Trail Ready

So do any of the Toyota diesels bolt up to the 80 auto trans?
Old 05-01-2017, 06:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Stripe View Post
So do any of the Toyota diesels bolt up to the 80 auto trans?
Sort of....

The 1HZ and 1HD-T lines were the diesel engine options for trucks that got the 1FZ, so for the most part they use the same transmissions. HOWEVER, you often need the correct bell housing to bolt the two together, and AFAIK the Auto trannies are integral. The guts are the same (A440 or 442, IIRC), but the mating surface to the engine is different.

If you are serious about doing this, the easiest way to do it would be to bring in an entire vehicle to do the swap. Second easiest would be a half cut. Then doing it in parts. If you do it in parts, I wouldn't buy an engine without a transmission/T-Case as part of the deal. A complete vehicle (from a wreck, or rusted or something) gets you all the little bits you need to do the swap, which is where the real money is. The engine is the cheap part.

Like I said, I'd call the smog shop that you will have to deal with. They may not care about the engine year vs. vehicle year at all. They didn't in my cases, although I never put an engine older than the vehicle.

Dan
Old 05-02-2017, 09:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

Wouldn't the diesel have different shift points than the 1FZ on an auto trans?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 05-02-2017, 10:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

Engine year matters in Colorado... Must be newer than chassis year. When I sold my 82 Mini-truck, the guy that bought it thought he could get the Buick 231 that was in it to pass emissions. He didnt ask any questions, bought all the emissions components for a 79 Buick Regal, installed, tuned and immediately failed inspection because of engine model year.
77 VW Beetle
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed

Long live the carburetor!
Old 05-02-2017, 10:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

Some other thoughts, your torque convertor would be wrong for a Diesel, and would need to be rebuilt to handle the lower stall speed of the diesel. Any diesel powered vehicle older than 10 years needs a yearly emission inspection(not really that bad, just needs to pass an opacity test). But the cost is about 75-90 based on where you get the test done. You may also need to regear the differential to fully benefit from the Diesel Torque.
Benefits are for you to decide.

Last edited by powderpig; 05-02-2017 at 10:55 AM. Reason: adding more
Old 05-02-2017, 11:18 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprosise View Post
Engine year matters in Colorado... Must be newer than chassis year.
I understand this is the rule but wonder how that works practically speaking. Does the DMV know engine serial numbers or do you have to keep paperwork to document the donor? IOW, how would they know one 231 or small block or 22R from another?

Second, how does this work with engines not normally in the U.S., such as most Toyota diesels? I know there are swaps to 2KD-FTV in Tacomas as new as 2014, such as the Diesel Toys guys down in Texas are doing.

That engine has never been in an EPA-recognized vehicle here and there's no way I could see to end-around using 25-year old vehicles. So are these vehicles only legal in non-emissions states or what?

Do engines need to even be EPA-approved as long as they meet whatever visual and tailpipe emissions requirements apply? That is to say that EPA status is only important to manufacturers or individuals trying to import a vehicle through customs. I'm wondering if fuel-type changes actually are easier, or well better described as less restrictive, than gas-to-gas engine swaps which would fall under different restrictions.

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus