Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 12-28-2017, 04:45 PM
Wincher

Default New Ham Radio

Hi everyone... Just moved up from a hand held. Still need to install but I had two questions:

1) What is the best way to name repeater locations in memory? Do you use the call sign or location? I don't think I can remember all the call signs and where they are located. I was thinking of just locations but maybe I'm all wrong there.

2) I have only used the ham for simplex on the trail, but do you physically have to change frequency when you drive to hit the next repeater? On a cell phone, the tower "passes" you off to the next tower, does that happen on a ham?

Any advice or thoughts anyone could provide would be great. Still need to install the Ham but just ordered my antenna!

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2017, 05:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

You name repeaters how ever they make sense to you.

Usually a repeater is referred to by it's frequency ("I'll be listening on the 145.460 machine.") or by the name of the club or group maintaining it ("Let's use the Colorado Connection machine." or "Try the RMRL UHF machine."). Either way, it's usually the informal way most users or locals know it.

But other times I'll use the call sign, sometimes just a place ("MoabTown" perhaps), some of the frequency ("CCR-DEN" for Colorado Connection Repeater in Denver), the name given in the Repeater Book.

To your second question, yes, you tune to a repeater and use it. There's no cells to hand you off to or accept you. A repeater is a single location machine.

Now I will caveat that to say there are exceptions. One is APRS, no matter where you are it's always on the same frequency (144.390 in the U.S. for the most part), so if there's a digipeater in the area you will see it and which machine you repeat through will bounce around.

The second is digital radio (Yaesu Fusion, DMR, D-STAR). The repeaters we use with digital modes can geo-locate and figure out how to connect based on location. This is not the case with analog FM repeaters, though. You have to program them in individually.

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 12-28-2017, 05:51 PM
Wincher

Thanks Dave!! Really appreciate the advice!
Old 12-28-2017, 07:10 PM
Vice Commander

David,
You got some good advise from Dave as always. All I would add is that a lot depends on what your radio will allow and if you want to use the same names across different radios you may want to come up with a naming system short enough for fit with all your gear.
You might also want to look at 'Chirp' or similar programming software if you haven't already to streamline all of this.
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
Follow CRUISE MOAB on Facebook
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, Ever Evolving, now with SLEE SHOCKS!!
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/all purpose truck, mild build so far.

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 12-29-2017, 09:47 AM
Wincher

Hi Andy! I got the Yaesu FTM-100 which unfortunately Chirp doesn't support. There is another software that I can use. I'm just hoping when all the parts arrive this weekend, I'll be able to put it all together. Ha!
Old 12-29-2017, 10:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have names like DEN145 (145.145), RISSUN (146.460), etc. in my radio.
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari intercooled turbo, Warn M12000, OEM CDL switch, cup holder, and hand throttle, Metric TLC leather, heated seats, JDM switches, Puma OBA
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
Hi Andy! I got the Yaesu FTM-100 which unfortunately Chirp doesn't support. There is another software that I can use. I'm just hoping when all the parts arrive this weekend, I'll be able to put it all together. Ha!
I use the software that G4HFQ writes for my Yaesu radios.

http://g4hfq.co.uk/index.html

If he doesn't make software and Chirp doesn't support it then probably RT Systems would be my choice. Those guys are in Broomfield so you could get the software and cable pretty quick.

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/FTM-100...ble-s/2409.htm

Old 12-29-2017, 03:31 PM
Rock Stacker

I do similar things as above - names or locations plus system or something....example the 145.310 Colorado Connection repeater on Mt. Thorodin is THOR-CC, the Rocky Mountain Repeater League repeater (145.340) in Evergreen is EVRG-RL, 146.46 simplex is RISINGS, etc.

For repeaters you need to program in the frequency offset and often a transmit tone to get into it - but your radio will do standard offsets on standard repeater frequencies for you. You just need to make sure you put the tone in correctly. As detailed in this thread that I would guess you've already seen: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=25953

I believe your radio should come with the proper programming cable (FTM-400 does) and Yaesu's software and firmware upgrades are under the files section for your radio on their site (http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd...01E68C1E0F0BA6).
Old 12-29-2017, 04:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
I believe your radio should come with the proper programming cable (FTM-400 does) and Yaesu's software and firmware upgrades are under the files section for your radio on their site (http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd...01E68C1E0F0BA6).
Nice catch, looks like Yaesu includes the software or at least links to it for free.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:31 PM
Wincher

Wow, thanks GV27, I was just looking at the RT Systems software. It did come with a cable. Thanks so much!