Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 01-11-2018, 07:52 PM
Wincher

Update: I was able to get the Yaesu installed and get APRS going. The antenna mount from Gamiviti worked perfectly and I learned how to run wires through the little grommet and everything! I drove around to see if I was beaconing and I was!!

Now, to figure out how to program frequencies. Is there a favorite repeater network that people use? I have been hearing lots of chatter on 145.150 but can't find what repeater network that is on.

Thanks for everyone's advice!
Old 01-12-2018, 06:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

I think you're hearing the 145.145 repeater, you're just off 5KHz.

http://w0cra.org/squaw

Quote:
145.145 -- the 145.145 MHz (input -.600 MHz) W0CRA/R two-meter repeater is the rag-chew repeater of all rag-chew repeaters. For activity at all hours and discussions on almost all topics, this is the place to be! The 145.145 repeater averages 50 to 80 hours of use per week.

This repeater requires a CTCSS tone of 107.2 Hz for access. The repeater transmits a CTCSS tone of 107.2 Hz. You can program your radio to only receive signals with the tone to prevent reception of noise and intermod.

The repeater is comprised of a GE Master II repeater, ARR preamp, and an S-COM 7330 controller. The repeater shares the Celwave transmitter combiner, receiver multicoupler and a pair of 9-db antennas with directional patterns aimed at Denver with the other Squaw Mountain two-meter repeaters.

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 01-12-2018, 05:38 PM
Rock Stacker

See if this help you get started. There is a huge repeater list in another thread on this forum but this is my list - I've refined it a bit since I made this file but not much. These are repeaters that I've heard traffic on around here and I use in my radios. It's a bit 70cm heavy since I was working with a Baofeng for awhile that was poor on 2m. Column G is the tone squelch frequency you need to set to get into the repeater.

edit: oh yeah, you have an FTM-100. I just added a .zip attachment. You should be able to import the .csv in the attached zip right into one of (or both of) the memory banks in ADMS-7 and put them right into your radio. It's "FT1D Format". I say "should" because importing into ADMS-7 has been less than smooth for me. But this file was exported out of mine and so it should import fine if you don't edit it. As soon as you edit anything all bets are off in my experience....I may invest in the RT Systems software to see if it's an improvement. Import has been pretty useless for me except after I manually programmed all the common channels I wanted I exported from Band A and then imported into Band B. Importing from other sources - or even editing an export file in excel then trying to import it back - has been unsuccessful for me using the Yaesu software.

edit 2: If you want to play with digital the 449.775 repeater on Green Mountain (in both files) is a Yaesu System Fusion repeater that's pretty active - both locally and also because it's linked to a wider network. Fun to play with and as I said plenty of activity. Sound quality doesn't exactly inspire me want to go out and invest in more digital gear though.

edit 3: here's a good list of nets around here. Good way to practice radio operations. Most welcome you to check in just "for the count" - you don't need to have anything to say about the topic. http://rmrl.org/rl/denver-area-net-l...rea-repeaters/
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Curated Repeater List UV-5R.xlsx (11.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: zip FTM-400D Edited Memories.zip (3.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by GV27; 01-12-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:12 AM
Wincher

Wow, Thanks GV27... I programmed 145.145 in so was able to listen in. I will now attempt to use my cable and the software to load the repeater list. I experimented briefly with the SD card function but I couldn't get it to see the SD card. I may have a bad SD card but I'll give it a try again. I'll also try directly connecting the cable to the computer.

Thanks! I think my neighbors think I'm odd sitting in my truck at all hours with lights glowing!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:55 AM
Wincher

Update: One step forward, one step back but eventually made forward progress.

1) . I could not get the SD card to be recognized. Turns out, bad SD card
2). Was able to load memories (thanks to GV27) using the FTM 100 software and GV27's list. But did have problems. See below.
3) . Yesterday, I was able to get APRS/SMS to work. Here's where it got interesting.

I could not for the life of me figure out how to use a computer to upload and download memory settings. I've been in software for a long time and know my way around software and this isn't exactly cutting edge stuff. But, as it turned out, I had the most current firmware but didn't have the most current software. I finally downloaded the right version and it went well.

According to the manual included in the box, I had to hold the GM button down for over 1 second and it would pull up the message screen. I tried it dozens of times and called Ham Radio Outlet to see if they had any ideas. A guy named Larry was super nice and came out to my LC to see if he could figure it out. He printed out parts of the manual and everything. Couldn't figure it out.

It wasn't just the software version that was out of sync. I had the most current firmware but as it turns out, the manual in the box was for the old firmware. So, I had went back out to the Yaesu site under manuals and pulled down the latest. The firmware included some new features that the old manual had wrong. Once I was able to see the procedure for the current firmware with the most current manual it all went well.

The updates were around the Group Monitoring mode. Apparently, if those of us with the capability set our DG-ID to the same number and frequency, we would only hear each other.

Once I figured out which Manual, I was able to test the APRS/SMS Gateway and was able to send test messages to a cell and respond and have it show up on the Ham.

Fun stuff. Just thought I would send my word of advice: check your versions of firmware and the manual and software!
Old 01-18-2018, 10:23 PM
Vice Commander

Oh man, way to keep at it. Some of the menus can take lots getting used to; and that's when they provide correct documentation. Glad to see more APRS on the trail.
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
Follow CRUISE MOAB on Facebook
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, Ever Evolving, now with SLEE SHOCKS!!
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/all purpose truck, mild build so far.

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 01-19-2018, 02:11 PM
Rock Stacker

When playing with APRS it's fun to check out aprs.fi. It shows you at Quebec and Arapahoe at 7:30 last night. https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FKE0BTW. BTW, it's normal with APRS to add a suffix to your callsign for APRS messages. -9 is "mobile station". i.e. my station identifies itself as KE0OIC-9.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
When playing with APRS it's fun to check out aprs.fi. It shows you at Quebec and Arapahoe at 7:30 last night. https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FKE0BTW. BTW, it's normal with APRS to add a suffix to your callsign for APRS messages. -9 is "mobile station". i.e. my station identifies itself as KE0OIC-9.
http://www.aprs.org/aprs11/SSIDs.txt

Quote:
SSID RECOMMENDATIONS: It is very convenient to other mobile
operators or others looking at callsigns flashing by, to be able to
recognize some common applications at a glance. Here are the
recommendations for the 16 possible SSID's (the limit of 16 comes
from the 4 bits available in the AX.25 protocol. Note, The SSID of
zero is dropped by most display applications. So a callsign with no
SSID has an SSID of 0.

-0 Your primary station usually fixed and message capable
-1 generic additional station, digi, mobile, wx, etc
-2 generic additional station, digi, mobile, wx, etc
-3 generic additional station, digi, mobile, wx, etc
-4 generic additional station, digi, mobile, wx, etc
-5 Other networks (Dstar, Iphones, Androids, Blackberry's etc)
-6 Special activity, Satellite ops, camping or 6 meters, etc
-7 walkie talkies, HT's or other human portable
-8 boats, sailboats, RV's or second main mobile
-9 Primary Mobile (usually message capable)
-10 internet, Igates, echolink, winlink, AVRS, APRN, etc
-11 balloons, aircraft, spacecraft, etc
-12 APRStt, DTMF, RFID, devices, one-way trackers*, etc
-13 Weather stations
-14 Truckers or generally full time drivers
-15 generic additional station, digi, mobile, wx, etc

* One-way trackers should best use the -12 one-way SSID indicator
because the -9's usually mean a ham in full APRS communication
both message and voice. The -9's can be contacted by APRS message
or by Voice on his frequency included in his beacon, or on Voice
Alert if he is in simplex range. The -12's are just moving Icons
on the map and since they have no 2 way communication for ham radio
they are not generally of routine interest to other operators.

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 01-20-2018, 05:10 PM
Wincher

Great! I will go out and change my SSID on my radio to be -9. I had initially done it but didn't know what the benefits were but now I see. I'll look for you GV27 - KE0OIC-9. This is really fun! Thanks Dave as well!
Old Today, 08:17 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
This is really fun!
Ain't it though?!?

This time of year you can follow me on my adventures to exciting off-road areas like the Federal Center Park and Ride or traversing legendary trails like 6th Avenue.