Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Has anyone used Saul's Automotive in Denver?

Hi members, I have an 80 series landcruiser that we've been overlanding for the last two years, across the states, down to Panama, and back. We are finally on our way home to TN and our brakes started to go out. Usually Robbie in Boulder is my mechanic but he is in Alaska right now and we have to leave town in the next couple days. I took the cruiser to Saul's Automotive and it apparently needs wheel bearings, pads and rotors, etc, but I just want to see if anyone else has used him before? Also any other recommendations for a second opinion in the area? Thanks!
Old 09-16-2017, 06:01 PM
Trail Ready

You could try Groove Toyota. I've never heard of Sauls
Old 09-16-2017, 06:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

ATLR...But don't think they're open weekends.

1977 FJ40 "Stella"

KD0VUP
Old 09-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin77777 View Post
Hi members, I have an 80 series landcruiser that we've been overlanding for the last two years, across the states, down to Panama, and back. We are finally on our way home to TN and our brakes started to go out. Usually Robbie in Boulder is my mechanic but he is in Alaska right now and we have to leave town in the next couple days. I took the cruiser to Saul's Automotive and it apparently needs wheel bearings, pads and rotors, etc, but I just want to see if anyone else has used him before? Also any other recommendations for a second opinion in the area? Thanks!
Hi Karin, I see my FB reply to you was a little late, you already found RS! I would be EXTREMELY skeptical that you need new wheel bearings unless they were run dry or some kind of catastrophic issue like your adjuster nut backed out.

Has Saul's disassembled your knuckles for inspection? If not it sounds like they are just trying to take advantage of you!

Is your 80 driveable or has the front end already been taken apart? There are a bunch of us here who would be glad to give you a (highly qualified) second opinion, as well as a bunch of us who would be happy to tear in there and fix your Land Cruiser for you.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 09-16-2017, 10:41 PM
Rock Stacker

Hey thanks so much for all the info here. You all are a wealth of information and I highly value your opinions. I took the cruiser out of the shop today. I noticed that they had a box of parts sitting beside the truck and most of the parts were made in china so I was done at that point. They did not tear down the knuckles at all and I'm not even sure they took the wheel completely off.
Jeff, I appreciate your reaching out and I will pm you about the possibility of looking at it for a second opinion. It is drivable, but I don't think it would be smart to drive down a lot of mountains or anything with the brake issue. I can drive it though.

As far as the short history of the problem goes, basically we got the truck "fixed" in Costa Rica by a land cruiser restoration shop that didn't know how to do brakes properly on an 80 series...They mostly work on 40's. Since then, I've noticed a little bit of wheel shaking while driving, but a lot of shaking when I brake. I've gotten the wheels aligned and balanced which helped a tiny bit. The hotter the brakes are, the more it shakes. I gear down a lot to prevent overheating on hills, etc. but over time on the way back from Costa Rica it has gotten way worse. I think the Utah/Aspen/Breckenridge/Boulder/Denver route finally killed them. The brakes work, but now the front drags with each wheel turn when I'm stopping. Also yesterday someone cut in front of me and when I hit the brakes, the brake pedal pushed back at me a few times and afterward even smashing the pedal to the floor only gave me just enough room to not hit the guy in front of me. This is why I am feeling some urgency...it didn't feel safe. We are supposed to head to KC on Monday so we can make it to TN for a day or two to unload some stuff and then we're immediately off to Overland Expo in Asheville.
Saul said the problem was that the Costa Rica mechanics loosened the wheel bearings so much that the wheel wasn't fully verticle, which made the brakes have to work extra hard to stabilize the wheel when braking. This is just what he said. I felt the rotors and they did have some grooves in them...especially on the left side. Not sure about the state of the calipers though. It's currently running 100 series pads.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:53 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Also Adler automotive in wheat ridge does good work on land cruisers
Probably could get you in soon
2010 4runner
1984 Westfalia
1982 Honda Trail 110
Salsa Bucksaw
TLCA # 16767
Old 09-16-2017, 11:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

sounds like your rotors are seriously warped or the spindle nut is loose, or most likely at this point, both
ige tlca #1431
62 fj40
65 fj45
71 fj55
78 fj55
95 fzj80
96 fzj80
Old 09-16-2017, 11:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Hey thanks so much for all the info here. You all are a wealth of information and I highly value your opinions. I took the cruiser out of the shop today. I noticed that they had a box of parts sitting beside the truck and most of the parts were made in china so I was done at that point. They did not tear down the knuckles at all and I'm not even sure they took the wheel completely off.
Jeff, I appreciate your reaching out and I will pm you about the possibility of looking at it for a second opinion. It is drivable, but I don't think it would be smart to drive down a lot of mountains or anything with the brake issue. I can drive it though.

As far as the short history of the problem goes, basically we got the truck "fixed" in Costa Rica by a land cruiser restoration shop that didn't know how to do brakes properly on an 80 series...They mostly work on 40's. Since then, I've noticed a little bit of wheel shaking while driving, but a lot of shaking when I brake. I've gotten the wheels aligned and balanced which helped a tiny bit. The hotter the brakes are, the more it shakes. I gear down a lot to prevent overheating on hills, etc. but over time on the way back from Costa Rica it has gotten way worse. I think the Utah/Aspen/Breckenridge/Boulder/Denver route finally killed them. The brakes work, but now the front drags with each wheel turn when I'm stopping. Also yesterday someone cut in front of me and when I hit the brakes, the brake pedal pushed back at me a few times and afterward even smashing the pedal to the floor only gave me just enough room to not hit the guy in front of me. This is why I am feeling some urgency...it didn't feel safe. We are supposed to head to KC on Monday so we can make it to TN for a day or two to unload some stuff and then we're immediately off to Overland Expo in Asheville.
Saul said the problem was that the Costa Rica mechanics loosened the wheel bearings so much that the wheel wasn't fully verticle, which made the brakes have to work extra hard to stabilize the wheel when braking. This is just what he said. I felt the rotors and they did have some grooves in them...especially on the left side. Not sure about the state of the calipers though. It's currently running 100 series pads.
That (Whats Sauls shop told you) doesnt make sense. If you can jack the wheel up and grab it at the 12 and 6 and try and see if there is play. If the bearings are loose, you can feel it.

You can grab at the 9 and 3 oclock positions to see if there is play in the tie rods

Look under the knuckle and make sure your bolts are nice and tight. They are the 4 bolts on the bottom of this photo

I wonder if it is a stuck brake caliper.

This thread should show you how easy it is to get to your bearings if they are loose and it is pretty easy to replace the bearings, brake rotors or pads

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fro...for-faq.78276/

Let us know what part of town you are in and if need to borrow tools. I don't have an 80 anymore but I still have the tools
16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan

Old 09-16-2017, 11:11 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman

Quote:

Awesome, excellent info Karin! Now that we know the full story, it may be as simple as adjusting the wheel bearings to their proper preload, or maybe something else. But if I were you I would have one of us do a second opinion on your situation. There are a bunch of us in Rising Sun who may not be professional shops but are more than qualified to diagnose what is going on and get you pointed in the right direction as far as correcting the issue.

I anticipate having the entire morning tomorrow to help you out, bring your rig up here, we'll pull you into the garage and either confirm Saul's diagnosis or maybe find you a better solution to your problem. One way or the other we will get you back to TN safely!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 09-16-2017, 11:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

If you wanted to come to the Boulder Mtn's (Sugarloaf area) I'd take a look at it, not a pro by any means but I know how to do brakes/wheel bearings. I'll be at home working on the 40 and with inlaws hanging with my wife, so aside from perhaps a bike ride i'd be down to clown. NAPA is in town and *might* have parts if we need them. I don't have any 80 parts. Send me a PM if you're interested.
82 FJ40

Tags
boulder, brakes, denver, saul's