Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

Duh, BL = body lift. I read that as 'B'all joint 'L'ift. Such a dork. Don't have a body lift, thus why my fender-met-a-BFH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Drop the diff. No more blown CVs. Angle it a bit and you still have a smooth front driveline too.
Diff drops don't seem like they'd be very easy on our generation IFS because of the front cross member. It pivots the pinion down if you lower the rear two mounts because of the front mount being pretty inflexible. Plus with a diff drop it makes the rear IFS truss harder to fit (just need a custom one, off the shelf units assume none).

Attachment 10192

BTW, Steve Schaefer's shop truck is a pretty good example of a capable, budget build.

http://www.yotatech.com/f86/sonoran-...y-28-s-104077/

"Hey Macarena!" -- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 08-26-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Duh, BL = body lift. I read that as 'B'all joint 'L'ift. Such a dork. Don't have a body lift, thus why my fender-met-a-BFH.

Diff drops don't seem like they'd be very easy on our generation IFS because of the front cross member. It pivots the pinion down if you lower the rear two mounts because of the front mount being pretty inflexible. Plus with a diff drop it makes the rear IFS truss harder to fit (just need a custom one, off the shelf units assume none).

Attachment 10192

BTW, Steve Schaefer's shop truck is a pretty good example of a capable, budget build.

http://www.yotatech.com/f86/sonoran-...y-28-s-104077/

Cool.

These rigs with the 3.0 V6 that came later...how hard is it to change out the timing belt and head gaskets that you always hear about? Those early 90s 4Runners are dirt cheap these days too...

What do you guys think about those? No top off, but I always liked the body style.
'96 FZJ80
'00 UZJ100

TLCA # 14207
Old 08-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Royal pain in the butt. Not an easy motor to work on. Lousy mileage too - although with only 31s and in prime tune I did get 21mpg out of my '89 XtraCab 3.0 on the highway. Before the HGs failed.

I never got better than 15mpg in my '90 4Runner 3.0, however. Before and after its HGs failed and we had to put in a new shortblock (wife drove it at that time ).

It IS, however, a great platform for a 3.4L swap! The most painless one in fact. That would be the only reason I would buy one.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Royal pain in the butt. Not an easy motor to work on. Lousy mileage too - although with only 31s and in prime tune I did get 21mpg out of my '89 XtraCab 3.0 on the highway. Before the HGs failed.

I never got better than 15mpg in my '90 4Runner 3.0, however. Before and after its HGs failed and we had to put in a new shortblock (wife drove it at that time ).

It IS, however, a great platform for a 3.4L swap! The most painless one in fact. That would be the only reason I would buy one.
With a new head gasket and timing belt, would the 3.0 be a pretty reliable engine?
'96 FZJ80
'00 UZJ100

TLCA # 14207
Old 08-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

With regard to the 3.0.

I have a buddy with a 3.4 swapped truck, 95 4runner.

With the 3.4L motor, he has more power, better gas mileage, AND he gained TONS of room in the engine bay.

I cannot think of a toyota motor that is worse to work on than the 3.0.

IMO, don't bother.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 08-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmontgo View Post
With a new head gasket and timing belt, would the 3.0 be a pretty reliable engine?
For all of the bad rumors, the 3VZ is really an OK motor. It does not make much more power than a 22R-E and so the risk/reward isn't high, but with good headgaskets they do last alright. Can do 200K when they don't blow HGs and get regular maintenance. Like Isaac says, the 3.4L is a better motor, but is it worth the time and effort to swap? Hard to say, if you have a 3.0L that's running OK it would be hard to justify for me to spend the money and weekends swapping it out just 'cause. I would not rebuild a 3.0L, though.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post

That is a cool truck right there

Okay, shameless plug for my truck, I'll admit

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead

Last edited by AxleIke; 08-15-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
In my opinion, based on experience, having been 2 for 2 on premature HG failures, one costing a short block, on well maintained machines, I would have to say no. The head clamping arrangement is substandard, and the things cannot breathe.

Brian Cobain did his 3.4L swap into a pre-96 4Runner in a weekend. While he is a very good mechanic, this does let you know the swap is not unreasonable.

A 3.4L in a first generation 4Runner is just about ideal in terms of power, reliability, and mileage. Plus grin factor. Supercharge it, and you better get some teeth whitener cuz folks will get a lot of chances to inspect them.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Hmmmm.

I just found a perfect condition 1990 2nd gen 2-door (rare) with a new head gasket, water pump, and timing belt replaced with 186,000 miles, no rust, and good maintenance history. Such a clean rig and runs great...but I am nervous about this motor from what I hear here. It is cool because it's so unusual, but...
'96 FZJ80
'00 UZJ100

TLCA # 14207
Old 08-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Hmmmm.

I just found a perfect condition 1990 2nd gen 2-door (rare) with a new head gasket, water pump, and timing belt replaced with 186,000 miles, no rust, and good maintenance history. Such a clean rig and runs great...but I am nervous about this motor from what I hear here. It is cool because it's so unusual, but...
If it runs reasonably well and the price is fair, I wouldn't worry much. Having a 2-door 2nd gen 4Runner would be cool alone. So what if the engine goes, put in a 3.4L and have a super cool truck. If the engine is original with 186K and has had the HG recall done, it's probably good for a while more.