Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

are you in the Boulder area again any time soon? I just tore my whole front axle apart on the 40 to rebuild it and if you've never done it and have questions I could show you what it looks like before you dig in. It's really pretty easy, but just figured i'd offer.

Also, i like the 1/2" drive sockets... they make it easier for me to tighten the wheel bearings to set them nice and tight before I back them off and bring them up to the right preload.. but that's just me.
82 FJ40
Old 10-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

I use a 14" long 3/8 snapon. So problly the same leverage.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

I also use a 1/2" version and an 18" breaker bar to set the bearings initially.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
I use a 14" long 3/8 snapon. So problly the same leverage.
FWIW, the difference between a 14" and 18" breaker is about 25% to 30% higher moment (e.g. torque) for a given force. IOW, if you put 30 lbf (roughly 130 N-m) on an 18" (roughly 0.45 meter) breaker you get about 45 lb-ft of torque and the same force with a 14" (roughly 0.35 meters) breaker gives you 36 lb-ft.

"Hey Macarena!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-26-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
are you in the Boulder area again any time soon? I just tore my whole front axle apart on the 40 to rebuild it and if you've never done it and have questions I could show you what it looks like before you dig in. It's really pretty easy, but just figured i'd offer.

Also, i like the 1/2" drive sockets... they make it easier for me to tighten the wheel bearings to set them nice and tight before I back them off and bring them up to the right preload.. but that's just me.
Thanks for the offer, so far every thing is going smooth except for a couple things. The lower Trunnion bearing is beat and the index ring doesn't look good. I went ahead and ordered all new bearings just to be safe. I got everything off last night in about an hour, hopefully the re-assembly goes as smoothly. I'm going to spend today cleaning everything off. I live in boulder, on Gapter rd if you want to stop by sometime.
Here are some pics.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Awesome, looks like things are progressing smoothly! Seems like you've got it all figured out

I mixed you up with somebody else.. that's why I thought you weren't in Boulder anymore.. sorry!
82 FJ40