Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Stuck in Breckenridge

Hi All,

I'm a visitor in your neck of the woods, having driven out from northern California to visit family in Thorton. We've come up to Breckenridge for a couple of days skiing and my '87 FJ60 has developed real trouble shifting. Both my mechanic, Georg Esterer, and MUD member BreckenridgeCruiser suggested I reach out to your club. Long story short, the seals in the clutch slave cylinder are probably bad. Air keeps getting into the system, but there are no fluid leaks, not at the master cylinder and not at the slave cylinder. The line from MC to SC appears to be fine. This truck has a 1HZ/turbo mated to an H55. Rebuild kits are not readily available, but the internals of a USA '86 FJ60 SC will swap into the H55 SC. So, Carquest in Silverthorne says they will have the '86 SC for me on Monday pm. It's also possible that there is something wrong with the MC, and I'm willing to swap that out, too. I haven't been able to line up the MC yet. I plan to call the various parts stores in Frisco/Silverthorne tomorrow morning, but if I strike out on the MC, or if they can't deliver on the SC, does anyone have these parts available that I could purchase tomorrow? I need to be back at work in California on Wed if possible, which is still doable if I can swap these out tomorrow. I've never changed out the clutch MC or SC, but I have all the tools I think I'd need and am hoping for the best. Thanks in advance! Steve Pryor (m) 925-519-1135
Old 01-06-2015, 01:07 AM
Disappointing

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Sorry to hear it! The work shouldn't be too hard -- are you trying to do it yourself or having someone do it for you? Did you get it fixed already?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:33 AM
Cruise Moab Chairman & RS Secretary

Dang, just saw this. I have a NIB clutch master for my '87 60 sitting on the shelf. It's a half hour swap at most. I might have a used slave sitting around too, and I have an OEM slave rebuild kit sitting on my workbench. I had a 1HZ in my HZJ75 so I'm familiar with that setup too.

IIRC, the flare fittings on the slave are 8mm, which are a trick without a flare wrench. Of course the 10mm hexes on the master normally require a flare wrench too.

It's after midnight, I'll give you a call tomorrow.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 01-06-2015, 11:58 AM

Steve, I live in Breck and have some tools but I don't have a garage or any warm, dry place to work on a truck. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out. I grew up in Livermore and my folks still live there. Kevin (970)547-8006
Old 01-07-2015, 09:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

Hey Steve I live iver in Silverthorne and will be headed down to the Toyota dealer and Denver tonight. Just saw your post. Let me know if I can grab anything for you. Have all the tools you and maybe able to line up a garage. Steve 303-915-9528.
Sold1979/83 Fj40, 1987 Fj60, 2006 TRD Taco.
TLCA#22362

A nation that destroys its soil destroys itself-FDR