Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 04-23-2016, 10:49 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman & RS Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcow246 View Post
Thanks Jeff
You're welcome John, I did ping Art and pointed him to this thread, hopefully he'll chime in soon. My vote is to make an exception for cases like yours and revise our requirements starting next year.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-24-2016, 08:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

I agree. We should train the crew doing inspections on what to look for on a "legit" tire repair kit. And questions to ask to understand whether the person actually know how to use it?

1) Do you mind if I check out your tire repair kit?
2) What's the largest gash you've had to fill on the trail (in friendly conversational tone)?
White 2008 GX470 - Nearly Stock

"When you come upon the guy barely pushing on his pedals, barely turning the cranks, RESERVE JUDGEMENT...for you have no idea the HELL he conquered before you finally caught up to him." PDL

http://www.vrbo.com/322094
Old 04-24-2016, 01:09 PM
Rock Stacker

Paul,
I'd be happy to let you check out my repair kit and tools.
My worst sidewall cut was about 4", causing an instant flat. That was on the final climb of Carnage Canyon, and I was running solo during All 4 Fun. I was able to repair that one without stitching, just a lot of plugs and higher tire pressure, with no weight on the tire during the repair. It held fine to get me off the trail, and was still holding air the next day.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

John...I definitely wasn't referring to you with my comment. As you know we have all kind that show up from across the country to CM.

I, myself, am certainly no expert. In fact, I've only watched a YouTube video. So, in essence, I am exactly the person you want to weed out from going out on the trail without an actual spare tire. It is obvious from our conversation on the forum that you could probably teach the class. I am the guy that would be stuck on the trail without a spare!
White 2008 GX470 - Nearly Stock

"When you come upon the guy barely pushing on his pedals, barely turning the cranks, RESERVE JUDGEMENT...for you have no idea the HELL he conquered before you finally caught up to him." PDL

http://www.vrbo.com/322094
Old 04-24-2016, 08:40 PM
Rock Stacker

Paul,

I guess I did read that as being personal, but now that I've re-read it, I agree that it would be a good way to add "ability to repair" to the tech inspection!

I feel that the more time one spends on the trail, the more experience(s) one is bound to have. As much as I love the availability of YouTube videos for just about anything, there really is no substitute for first hand experience.
Since I have spent the last 25 years wheeling the hardest trails in Moab, and the 5 years prior to that wheeling the Southeast, I feel like I have had my share of first hand experience. I can tell you that you can 'wheel for days/weeks/months without having any issues, or you can spend 3 days on a 3/4 mile trail because everything goes wrong, and keeps going wrong!
I developed a one day "Introduction to 4 Wheeling" course about 5 years ago for our club, and a follow up advanced techniques course. Although most of our members have plenty of experience, I have found that the semi-newbies who think they know how things are supposed to be done, have loved the introductory course. I haven't had to organize the advanced course, because its easier to teach it on an as needed basis on the trail. I still don't profess to "know it all", and I'm skeptical of anyone who does. I've seen people doing things on the trail that left me shaking my head in disgust, and I've seen innovative ideas that I've incorporated even in the last couple of years.

I don't go to a lot of organized events like Cruise Moab, so I'm genuinely looking forward to this one!
Old 04-24-2016, 10:21 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman & RS Secretary

HA! I have been burned by YouTube videos on how to repair my washing machine and where the f*ck my battery is on my Yamaha Zuma, both dead-wrong, and both resulting in needless work and actual damage.

Among the things that I (and hope those reading this) have come to appreciate is the wealth of misinformation and just plain wrong stuff there is on the interweb. Too many web wheelers. Those that actually know what the heck they're doing are typically too busy doing correct repairs and mods to bother spend their time on the interweb.

As Madcow writes, there is no substitute for first hand experience, and over the years I have made it a personal requirement that NOTHING I write on this or any other forum or in any email is not from first hand experience, unless I preface it with "I have read that...". As such, I seldom give as much advice as others do.

That said, I have many, many experiences with tire plugs, and they are all but one positive. The first time I took a screw through the tread and took it to the local tire store, watch what they charged me $15 to do, I said to myself "heck yeah I could do that just as well!". So a $5 investment in a plug kit and around 5 or 6 plugged tires that survived their expected tread life after plugging I can certainly say that plugging works just fine for screw or nail-sized round punctures in the tread.

The one that wasn't positive was a fairly large cut my son got on the tire of his pickup truck from a utility blade at a construction site. I looked at it and said "nope, plug isn't gonna work on that one, glad you bought the warrantee".

Whole 'nother discussion: Split rims and tubes. I have an overlander friend friend from Namibia who uses tubed tyres, split rims and only carries spare tyres and tube patch kits, that's what they do down there. Not necessarily rock crawling, just getting from point A which is 200km from point B.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-25-2016, 09:46 PM
Event Coordinator

Default If its a buggy I don't care about a spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcow246 View Post
Agreed, the (42") spare takes up way too much room and/or blocks visibility. My other issue with it, is the weight distribution when mounted off the back. All of this combined with the virtually non-existent need, means that mine stays on the trailer. If I REALLY need it, it is a matching tire and wheel, so I can keep wheeling for the rest of the week.
Hi Madcow246,
If you are running a buggy I would not worry about a spare. You probably trailer your rig to the trail head and could get off the trail without one.
It is the daily driver and awd rigs that I feel require a spare.

My biggest thing is that you can communicate with the group (CB), that your rig is clean from fluid leaks and every effort has been made to have good steering and suspension parts.

Have fun at cruise moab and see you at tech inspection.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:00 AM
Rock Stacker

John,
After your statement about sewing up a tire, I searched and found some videos showing it being done. So taking videos with a grain of salt, I would like to know what you have in your tire kit in addition to a plug kit. For two reasons, I am a tech inspector and second would like to upgrade my tire kit. The video showed using heavy thread, but did not show how they punched holes to run thread through, assuming an awl. Then they put a big honking patch on inside of tire.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

Hopefully Tuckytres lets me skate through tech this year, cause that's what I'm used to.

97 LX450
Old 04-27-2016, 09:16 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckytres View Post
Hi Madcow246,
If you are running a buggy I would not worry about a spare. You probably trailer your rig to the trail head and could get off the trail without one.
It is the daily driver and awd rigs that I feel require a spare.

My biggest thing is that you can communicate with the group (CB), that your rig is clean from fluid leaks and every effort has been made to have good steering and suspension parts.

Have fun at cruise moab and see you at tech inspection.

Mine is definitely not a daily driver. I do tow it to Moab, and depending on the trail, I will tow if necessary, but highly unlikely for the three trails for which I'll be running (Spike / Moab Rim / Hell's Rev). It is most definitely streetable, and I do have a good CB and no leaks.
Attached Images