Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 02-19-2017, 08:48 AM
Cruise Moab Chairman & RS Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpow View Post
So I might suggest to CM BOD that adding a check box on the CM web signup for having HAM could help in seeing what % of participants have moved forward (at least I don't remember seeing such a thing). If nothing else it would enable data points for multiple years to show the growth.
BTW, just passed the Tech and General exams yesterday.
Rather than a check box upon signup, we do follow-up surveys. Typical HAM usage is around 15%. In Rising Sun as a club, we're typically around 30-40%.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 03-29-2017, 01:21 PM
Rock Stacker

Hey folks.
I am not a Rising Sun member, but I just signed up for forum membership to field some questions about CM (hope that's OK).

I just passed the Technician exam a couple days ago, and would like to participate in the HAM communications at CM. I'm as newbie as newbie gets, and have a few questions:

Is there a pre-arranged bandplan for the event?
Is there a Moab area bandplan in general?
I assume most HAM coms will be via simplex?
Any recommendations for setting up my radio before CM?

FYI, I've got a Yaesu FT-60R HT and roof-mounted 1/2 wave antenna that I have yet to use (still waiting for my call sign to show up), but am excited to figure it all out.

Thanks for your time.

Ryan
("Hayes" from MUD)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:25 PM
Webmaster

For starters: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...t=22635&page=2 Post #15 is for 2017. Others will chime in to help answer your questions.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:34 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Ryan, non-members are more than welcome to participate in the forum, show up for meetings, publicly posted events, etc. so welcome to the party.

Each state generally has a band plan, we stay within the Utah band plan guidelines for CM, and from the link Crash posted above you can have your gear all pre-programed with the frequency for your trails. Simplex is easy enough that there may not be a huge advantage to pre-programming but you may want to pre-program the repeaters you'll pass by along the way and the one in Moab, Monticello, etc.. they may not be used much by event participants but could be indispensable in an emergency and you may find some hams to rag chew with on them.

Mostly, make sure your CB is in great working order for Cruise Moab as it's the primary radio in use, then go nuts on ham plans.
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
Follow CRUISE MOAB on Facebook
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, Ever Evolving, now with SLEE SHOCKS!!
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/all purpose truck, mild build so far.

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 03-30-2017, 09:41 AM
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys.
I'll program some repeater channels and maybe my trail simplex channels as well. Call sign showed up yesterday (KI7MAW), so I'll start poking around on the airwaves and figure some of this out.
CB is good-to-go.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:02 PM
Rock Stacker

Dumb question but here goes:

If my radio (FT-60R) has the Automatic Repeater Shifts enabled, do I need to do anything other than save the output frequency of a given repeater? Will it know to shift + or - for the specific repeater?

For example, it looks like the Abajo Peak repeater is 146.610 MHz with a MINUS 6 kHz shift for input, while the Mt. Ellen 147.080 MHz with a PLUS 6 kHz shift for input.

My radio clearly defaults to the 6 kHz shift on 2m, but how does it know when to shift + or -?
Or should I disable the ARS and manually program everything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimCOTaco View Post
Ryan, non-members are more than welcome to participate in the forum, show up for meetings, publicly posted events, etc. so welcome to the party.

Each state generally has a band plan, we stay within the Utah band plan guidelines for CM, and from the link Crash posted above you can have your gear all pre-programed with the frequency for your trails. Simplex is easy enough that there may not be a huge advantage to pre-programming but you may want to pre-program the repeaters you'll pass by along the way and the one in Moab, Monticello, etc.. they may not be used much by event participants but could be indispensable in an emergency and you may find some hams to rag chew with on them.

Mostly, make sure your CB is in great working order for Cruise Moab as it's the primary radio in use, then go nuts on ham plans.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

If your radio was sold for ham (as opposed to commercial or otherwise) and has the factory firmware intact (freebanding usually breaks ARS) then ARS is usually correct on repeater shift. It's basically uniform across the U.S. There are odd balls to the convention (we call them odd splits) or exceptions to general bandplans so always verify that your radio got it right.

The reason for up or down shift has to do with the way band plans are designed, repeater inputs and outputs are usually assigned to the same chunks of spectrum.

ARS knows if you program a repeater output to shift in the following generalized way:
145.1 MHz - 145.5 MHz -600 kHz
146.0 MHz - 146.4 MHz +600 kHz
146.6 MHz - 147.0 MHz -600 kHz
147.0 MHz - 147.4 MHz +600 kHz
147.6 MHz - 148.0 MHz -600 kHz

In Colorado, for example.
144.500 - 144.900 Inputs
145.100 - 145.500 Outputs (-0.6 MHz)
146.010 - 146.370 Inputs
146.610 - 146.970 Outputs (-0.6 MHz)
147.000 - 147.390 Outputs (+0.6 MHz)
147.600 - 147.990 Inputs

So you can see as long as a band plan places either input or output within those ranges the shift will be right. It's not that the repeaters everywhere have to be the same in/out, band plans just have to stick to the +/- shift convention and ARRL recommended frequency usages. An individual band plan can tinker with the edges of the repeater parts, usually to add an extra simplex channel depending on 15KHz or 20KHz spacing. But as long as the repeaters adhere the general scheme ARS is effective.

"Hey Macarena!" -- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 03-30-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:37 PM
Rock Stacker

I get it. After going the process on my radio it appears to be showing the correct shifts for the repeaters I'm looking at.

If the repeater listing shows a CTCSS tone, I will still need to manually program this, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
If your radio was sold for ham (as opposed to commercial or otherwise) and has the factory firmware intact (freebanding usually breaks ARS) then ARS is usually correct on repeater shift. It's basically uniform across the U.S. There are odd balls to the convention (we call them odd splits) or exceptions to general bandplans so always verify that your radio got it right.

The reason for up or down shift has to do with the way band plans are designed, repeater inputs and outputs are usually assigned to the same chunks of spectrum.

145.1 MHz - 145.5 MHz -600 kHz
146.0 MHz - 146.4 MHz +600 kHz
146.6 MHz - 147.0 MHz -600 kHz
147.0 MHz - 147.4 MHz +600 kHz
147.6 MHz - 148.0 MHz -600 kHz
Old 03-30-2017, 01:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

The particular CTCSS selected is not uniform. It's usually either picked by the repeater managing group to be common on all their repeaters or selected based on local conditions, either another repeater or some sort of interference makes one tone better. You almost never have to program a tone on the receive side, that's for your convenience (it can reduce random noise opening your receiver). But to open the repeater input you have to usually have the right tone on, otherwise the repeater will assume your transmission is just noise.

"Hey Macarena!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-30-2017, 02:14 PM
Rock Stacker

I appreciate your time here.
So for example--the Abajo Peak repeater lists a 88.5 Hz tone here:
http://www.sdarc.us/repeaters/abajo.html

I'll need to run that tone to get a transmission through the repeater, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
The particular CTCSS selected is not uniform. It's usually either picked by the repeater managing group to be common on all their repeaters or selected based on local conditions, either another repeater or some sort of interference makes one tone better. You almost never have to program a tone on the receive side, that's for your convenience (it can reduce random noise opening your receiver). But to open the repeater input you have to usually have the right tone on, otherwise the repeater will assume your transmission is just noise.