Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 10-22-2015, 09:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Last read

Graham Hancock's only fiction novel:
Entangled: The Eater of Souls by Graham Hancock

Recommend the entire Walt Longmire series:
Death Without Company: A Walt Longmire Mystery by Craig Johnson

Does anyone have The Dog Stars by Peter Heller?

TLCA Member# 23562 KE0FUO kilo-echo-zero-foxtrot-uniform-oscar
'64 FJ40 Chevota heavily modded
'94 FZJ80 Toyota locked & stock
'09 Yamaha V-Star 1300 bagger
Old 11-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

My update for the month:

Finally buckled down and finished Who Needs a Road?. The last half went a lot quicker than the first half. Loved the quote near the end about the Land Cruiser as it related to his life, which I added to the post a couple pages back.

I ended up buying Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, so I will work through that eventually.

Finished Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation by Steven Johnson. An interesting book that took a wide view of the history of innovation to try and discover how good ideas form and how they catch on and become successful. Honestly the concluding chapter was the most interesting to me and didn't seem to need the rest of the book at all, though the earlier chapters discussed brain activity which was interesting. In the end he divided innovations into coming from four sources: individual-market, individual-non-market, group-market, and group-non-market. There has been a shift in the last century in where the most innovations come from, and it doesn't support the model of one company or individual holding secrets or keeping discovery locked in a back room in order to gain competitive advantage in the marketplace...

Took a break and listened to Airframe by Michael Crichton just for fun. This was somewhat entertaining if not a little cheesy IMO based on some of the antics of some of the union workers. Waiting for The Lost World to come up from the library.

Next I listened to Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard by Chip Heath and Dan Heath. I think this is a fantastic book. I see a ton of application for me in my personal and work life.

Finally worked through Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In by Roger Fisher, William L. Ury and Bruce Patton. This was much harder for me to get through than The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, probably because it is more a collection of ideas for negotiating than it is a narrative. Very good tools and skills though, but definitely things that requires practice.

Next I listened to The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell. This is a historical fiction piece that is the first in a series of novels that covers England around the time of the reign of King Alfred in the late 9th century and early 10th century. This first piece covers the time period of the Danes raiding and colonizing England and some of the subsequent fighting. A little gory at times but interesting history nonetheless.

Slowly worked through The Lessons of History by Will and Ariel Durant. A series of short pieces reflecting on big-picture topics throughout history - biology, morals, religion, economics, etc. It was good reading during the morning constitution to give some thoughts for the day. I really think it would have been good to read through this during high school history class to provide an overlay to all the topics that would be studied during that 4-year tenure.

Also currently reading The Resolution for Men by Stephen Kendrick, Alex Kendrick, and Randy Alcorn. This is a companion book to the movie Courageous that came out a couple years ago, offering men perspective on how to step up into leadership among their families and other spheres of influence.

Read Crucial Accountability: Tools for Resolving Violated Expectations, Broken Commitments, and Bad Behavior by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, Al Switzler, and David Maxfield. This is another great book, with skills that will require practice over time. I'm seeing some themes repeated from book to book, such as the Fundamental Attribution Error (also discussed in Switch) and a development of trust within teams (also discussed in The Five Dysfunctions of a Team). It will be fun to explore those topics as time goes along.

Found a bunch of other good books in the Goodwill that are on my reading list. It's like they say; one man's trash is another man's treasure. To list a few off the top of my head, including some found in used book stores:
Good to Great
The Millionaire Next Door
Rich Dad, Poor Dad
The Richest Man in Babylon
The Rational Manager
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
The 8th Habit
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team
Getting to Yes
Getting Past No
Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sale
The One Minute Manager
Who Took my Cheese?
How Toyota Became #1
The World is Flat
Fast Food Nation
Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus
His Needs, Her Needs
For Men Only
Plato Republic
Pillars of the Earth
The E Myth Revisited
The Lessons of History
The Complete Story of Civilization
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari intercooled turbo, Warn M12000, OEM CDL switch, cup holder, and hand throttle, Metric TLC leather, heated seats, JDM switches, Puma OBA
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD

Last edited by subzali; 01-15-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Well it's pretty close to being a monthly update again, here's what I've been working on:

The Lost World by Michael Crichton. Threw this in the mix because of Jurassic World coming out recently, and figured I could ease up and listen to something fun. I think this book created some subconscious fear and stress though during that time; I didn't sleep well for a couple nights. Funny to admit that I guess. This is my 2nd Michael Crichton, and I've been a little disappointed at a couple things. One, some of the plot lines are predictable and cliché, and Two, I've noticed some instances where he doesn't close subplots, at least not to my satisfaction. In this one, too, his description of the workshop where the vehicles are being outfitted resembles antics more out of a reality TV show than a custom engineering fabrication shop. So that had me rolling my eyes a little bit.

She Calls Me Daddy: 7 Things You Need to Know About Building a Complete Daughter by Robert Wolgemuth

Wheat Belly by William Davis. After reading this book, I've decided to go gluten free. Not to put on a tin foil hat or anything, but this narrative provides compelling arguments as to why we are seeing so many more health problems in this country today. Not the least of which is modern wheat's effects on our bodies.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig. I am loving this book. It's hard for me to describe exactly what he's talking about because I'm not a philosophy major, but his analysis of the scientific method is really interesting, and the cross-country trip on a motorcycle just sets up sections of the book that I can't put down.

Life Without Limits: Inspiration for a Ridiculously Good Life by Nick Vujicic. This guy has an amazing story, well, obviously, being born without arms or legs and living a fulfilled and happy life in spite of those challenges. A little bit of motherhood and apple pie, but there were a couple stories in there that I related to somewhat and he helped provide me new perspective on those experiences. What a great guy.
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari intercooled turbo, Warn M12000, OEM CDL switch, cup holder, and hand throttle, Metric TLC leather, heated seats, JDM switches, Puma OBA
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD

Last edited by subzali; 01-26-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

I just finished The Martian:

http://www.amazon.com/Martian-Andy-W...ds=the+martian

Good read! Now I can go see the movie...

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 12-17-2015, 05:26 PM
Commander

Wow lot of good ones in there! I would add The Art of Possibility to your list. Judging from what you have listed, you would love it. It's the most recent thing I've read. Also check out a quick read...teaching smart people how to learn.

Mining group gold is dry as hell, but a must read if you facilitate teams and/or meetings often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
My update for the month:

Finally buckled down and finished Who Needs a Road?. The last half went a lot quicker than the first half. Loved the quote near the end about the Land Cruiser as it related to his life, which I added to the post a couple pages back.

I ended up buying Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, so I will work through that eventually.

Finished Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation by Steven Johnson. An interesting book that took a wide view of the history of innovation to try and discover how good ideas form and how they catch on and become successful. Honestly the concluding chapter was the most interesting to me and didn't seem to need the rest of the book at all, though the earlier chapters discussed brain activity which was interesting. In the end he divided innovations into coming from four sources: individual-market, individual-non-market, group-market, and group-non-market. There has been a shift in the last century in where the most innovations come from, and it doesn't support the model of one company or individual holding secrets or keeping discovery locked in a back room in order to gain competitive advantage in the marketplace...

Took a break and listened to Airframe by Michael Crichton just for fun. This was somewhat entertaining if not a little cheesy IMO based on some of the antics of some of the union workers. Waiting for The Lost World to come up from the library.

Next I listened to Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard by Chip Heath and Dan Heath. I think this is a fantastic book. I see a ton of application for me in my personal and work life.

Finally worked through Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In by Roger Fisher, William L. Ury and Bruce Patton. This was much harder for me to get through than The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, probably because it is more a collection of ideas for negotiating than it is a narrative. Very good tools and skills though, but definitely things that requires practice.

Next I listened to The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell. This is a historical fiction piece that is the first in a series of novels that covers England around the time of the reign of King Alfred in the late 9th century and early 10th century. This first piece covers the time period of the Danes raiding and colonizing England and some of the subsequent fighting. A little gory at times but interesting history nonetheless.

Currently reading The Lessons of History by Will and Ariel Durant. A series of short pieces reflecting on big-picture topics throughout history - biology, morals, religion, economics, etc. It was good reading during the morning constitution to give some thoughts for the day. I really think it would have been good to read through this during high school history class to provide an overlay to all the topics that would be studied during that 4-year tenure.

Also currently reading The Resolution for Men by Stephen Kendrick, Alex Kendrick, and Randy Alcorn. This is a companion book to the movie Courageous that came out a couple years ago, offering men perspective on how to step up into leadership among their families and other spheres of influence.

Also currently reading Crucial Accountability: Tools for Resolving Violated Expectations, Broken Commitments, and Bad Behavior by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, Al Switzler, and David Maxfield. This looks to be another great book, with skills that will require practice over time.

Found a bunch of other good books in the Goodwill that are on my reading list. It's like they say; one man's trash is another man's treasure. To list a few off the top of my head, including some found in used book stores:
Good to Great
The Millionaire Next Door
Rich Dad, Poor Dad
The Richest Man in Babylon
The Rational Manager
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
The 8th Habit
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team
Getting to Yes
Getting Past No
Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sale
The One Minute Manager
Who Took my Cheese?
How Toyota Became #1
The World is Flat
Fast Food Nation
Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus
His Needs, Her Needs
For Men Only
Plato Republic
Pillars of the Earth
The E Myth Revisited
The Lessons of History
The Complete Story of Civilization

2008 mall cruiser - aka Black Beauty - ramps good
1994 fzj80 - nearly 500,000 miles young - thrasher rig
84 FJ60 low gears, locked, fun, rebuilt-2FE - gone
1995 Toyota Camry, 4x4 at heart

"In God [i] trust. All others, bring data"
-E. Deming
Old 12-17-2015, 05:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
I just finished The Martian:

http://www.amazon.com/Martian-Andy-W...ds=the+martian

Good read! Now I can go see the movie...
I'm reading that one right now. Haven't seen the movie either. Kind of reads like a screenplay.

'85 FJ60
'91 Pickup
Old 12-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I'm reading that one right now. Haven't seen the movie either. Kind of reads like a screenplay.
Pretty cool that the guy wrote it on his own and self-published the first round...

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

Old 12-17-2015, 06:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Read http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Stars-Peter-Heller-ebook/

TLCA Member# 23562 KE0FUO kilo-echo-zero-foxtrot-uniform-oscar
'64 FJ40 Chevota heavily modded
'94 FZJ80 Toyota locked & stock
'09 Yamaha V-Star 1300 bagger
Old 12-18-2015, 11:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce285 View Post
That was the book they mentioned in the Trails, eh?

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

Old 12-18-2015, 10:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

http://www.amazon.com/At-End-Santa-F.../dp/1162764767

It's basically the journal kept by Sister Blandina Segale. Absolutely fascinating look at the frontier days of mostly New Mexico, but a little of Colorado.

Perry: I'll get it to you once I'm done. There's a lot more talk of Billy the Kid than I would have expected.

No wonder she's up for possible Sainthood! She was absolutely amazing!

Dan