Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-25-2018, 09:19 AM
Lifted

Default Looking for a welder and torch to do some quick work

As the title states... I'm looking for a welder and torch to use this weekend. I need to replace my 2" box tubing in my rear bumper and weld in some tabs on the front of my frame rails. I can pay cash or beer or help you with a project you've been itching to do! Or if anyone knows of a place to rent a space to do the work I would be down for that also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2018, 01:02 AM
Cruise Moab Chairman

Pictures would help. I have an O/A torch and a MIG welder. More detail on the scope of the project would be helpful?
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 01-26-2018, 10:25 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Pictures would help. I have an O/A torch and a MIG welder. More detail on the scope of the project would be helpful?
We used 1/8 inch box tubing for the main body of the bumper. Put the receiver tubing through both sides of the bumper and welded it on both ends with a few inches sticking out on the front and rear for an open hole clear through. We used a Miller MIG running off of 220 for fab of the bumper. Wire diameter and power settings were set by my dad and I'm not sure what they were off the top of my head.

My pops is in town till Tuesday morning before he flies back to Ohio and takes his skills of perfectionism with him! He cut the proper length of replacement tubing and drilled it for the pin at his shop and brought it out with him. We need to cut out the old and replace with the new.

I also have two tabs with nuts welded into them that I need to weld on the front of my frame rails to attach my shrockworks winch bumper. That should only take a few minutes after they are placed in properly.

I took my bumpers and sliders off my 97 4runner when it died and have them to put on my 01 4runner. I am going to get them blasted and repowder coated before I put them on the new rig.

We know what we are getting into as this will be the second time we've done it and just need some space and tools. I thought about driving back to Ohio to use his heated garage and lift with the luxury of his plasma torch but it's a 20hr trip one way and I don't have the time. I also don't have the $ to hire someone at $120/hr and love that my dad is ocd with this stuff.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:28 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the RX View Post
We used 1/8 inch box tubing for the main body of the bumper. Put the receiver tubing through both sides of the bumper and welded it on both ends with a few inches sticking out on the front and rear for an open hole clear through. We used a Miller MIG running off of 220 for fab of the bumper. Wire diameter and power settings were set by my dad and I'm not sure what they were off the top of my head.

My pops is in town till Tuesday morning before he flies back to Ohio and takes his skills of perfectionism with him! He cut the proper length of replacement tubing and drilled it for the pin at his shop and brought it out with him. We need to cut out the old and replace with the new.

I also have two tabs with nuts welded into them that I need to weld on the front of my frame rails to attach my shrockworks winch bumper. That should only take a few minutes after they are placed in properly.

I took my bumpers and sliders off my 97 4runner when it died and have them to put on my 01 4runner. I am going to get them blasted and repowder coated before I put them on the new rig.

We know what we are getting into as this will be the second time we've done it and just need some space and tools. I thought about driving back to Ohio to use his heated garage and lift with the luxury of his plasma torch but it's a 20hr trip one way and I don't have the time. I also don't have the $ to hire someone at $120/hr and love that my dad is ocd with this stuff.

Photos

Old 01-26-2018, 05:35 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Found a MIG and a torch to use. Thanks!

Old 01-29-2018, 11:59 AM
Lifted

We didn't even need the welder and torch. Rented a sawsall and bought some metal blades and used them to essentially sand the corners of the inside of the box tubing to make the fit for all hitch inserts we could find I the neighborhood. Saved us hours of time and not cutting or welding!

Old 01-29-2018, 08:59 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the RX View Post
We didn't even need the welder and torch. Rented a sawsall and bought some metal blades and used them to essentially sand the corners of the inside of the box tubing to make the fit for all hitch inserts we could find I the neighborhood. Saved us hours of time and not cutting or welding!

I have also found that a sawzall is a wonderful tool for metal cutting, far more precise than a plasma cutter when handled properly.

But in your case, you didn't use the sawzall for cutting but for sanding...here's to creativity!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 02-04-2018, 12:00 PM
Lifted

Quote:
I have also found that a sawzall is a wonderful tool for metal cutting, far more precise than a plasma cutter when handled properly.

But in your case, you didn't use the sawzall for cutting but for sanding...here's to creativity!
Massive time and material saver!