Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default My Sisters 40

Since it looks like Mike will be taking a bit of a break from his 40, and the thread on his build, I thought I might as well chime in with the work I'm doing on my Sisters 40.

Here's a little back-ground...About 5 years ago, my sister bought her husband a '71 FJ40. He has always admired my '77, and liked the idea of having a classic trail rig. She had Merle trailer it down to his place in Salida for some restoration work. Her 40 had a 305 Camaro engine installed and mated to the original 3 speed transmission. With the sale came a SM465 transmission which she had Merles crew install, as well as newer axles for disc brakes in the front, a Toyota power steering set up, and an OME springs with a 2 1/2 inch lift. She had them install a roll-bar as this 40 will spend most of its life topless (which I'll post pictures later) with intent of them installing new fenders, rear quarters, and other parts...

This happened during the time when Merle's wife fell ill, and production started grinding to a halt in Salida...Then Merles horse apparently rolled over on him breaking bones, when everything stopped all together... Anyway, long story short, Merle had her Cruiser for a little over 3 years, and got a small amount of progress done on the 40. She had it towed back to my place, where I agreed to give it a little love.

on to a couple of pictures...we all love pictures...
Attached Images

1977 FJ40 "Stella"

KD0VUP
Old 05-01-2016, 11:21 AM
Rising Sun Member

I started by replacing the fenders. The PO had a strange fondness for resting thin galvanized sheet over the rusted out spots, and then gooping on incredibly thick amounts of Bondo over. Upon purchase, we knew the sheet body parts needed a lot of work, but the frame, and the bones or the 40 were in surprisingly good shape.

Turn signals had cracks in the housing from heat and weather. Those are getting replaced.
Attached Images

1977 FJ40 "Stella"

KD0VUP
Old 05-01-2016, 11:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Fenders and rear quarters were purchased from CCOT, after reading nakmans thread about them, I relied on his insight on the quality of the parts. They are nice...
Attached Images

1977 FJ40 "Stella"

KD0VUP
Old 05-01-2016, 11:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

A few more for redundancy...
Attached Images

1977 FJ40 "Stella"

KD0VUP
Old 05-01-2016, 12:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Merle's place was supposed to fabricate a fan shroud, as the Chevy fan is so far away from the radiator, there was no air draw through it to aid in keeping the engine from overheating. I mocked up a little drawing for myself, and started cutting and bending sheet to get a shroud working. After measuring, and drilling holes for the shroud on the radiator support, I noticed the radiator was sitting inside the support, resting on the bottom tank....after getting the radiator supported, I had to re-drill the holes in the shroud to accommodate the shift in the radiator. I had to make the shroud to where it is a two piece set up as I couldn't manage enough room to get the shroud hoop around the fan, with the "box" between the radiator and the engine fan. I haven't driven it with the new shroud attached, but it should draw the air through the radiator well.
Attached Images

1977 FJ40 "Stella"

KD0VUP
Old 05-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Figured where the opening would have to be in relation to the fan, and bent my hoop to size, and cut the hole. I welded sheet pieces in the open gaps on the outside of the radiator area to keep air flow coming in through the radiator...
Attached Images

1977 FJ40 "Stella"

KD0VUP
Old 05-01-2016, 01:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Gorgeous work on the shroud, and nice work on the truck. You're doing the kind of things you almost can't effectively pay anyone to do. Keep the photos coming!
Old 05-01-2016, 04:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

looking good Kurt!

we love pictures!!!
Old 05-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Awesome, keep it up
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks

My 100 Series Land Cruiser Build Thread

My camping trailer build up thread.

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 05-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks guys, for the encouragement, these photos are from a while ago so I could show my sister the progress I've made. Most of the work I've done isn't very sexy, meaning that while necessary and time consuming, it doesn't translate visually that much headway has been made.

For instance (and somehow the pictures were deleted from my phone camera) the engine was mounted too far back making interference from the valve cover to the passenger footboard. The PO saw a much easier solution to cut a hole in the footwell to make room, and cover with indoor/outdoor carpet. Something that was missed when we first looked at the 40, but needed attention after the carpet was removed and it was revealed. I had to cut some sheet, work and bend to seal the valve cover, and weld in to place. A corner of the transmission hump was cut out in the process, which needed repair...

Numerous holes were drilled in the tub to accommodate an old school, school buss heater that was used as a rear heater...like I said, time consuming repairs that don't look like much.

Anyway...on with more pictures of progress. The barn doors, like most, had lower cancer, and in need of repair. I tried to save as much of the original parts as I could, and replaced cancerous areas.
Attached Images

1977 FJ40 "Stella"

KD0VUP