Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 09-27-2017, 06:52 PM
Land Use Coordinator

Default Request for Volunteers for CUSP

So I received the following post on the Rising Sun Facebook Page today. I called and spoke with Rachel at the CUSP. I told her what we do with our volunteer work for the forest service, and that something like this would easily coincide with that work. I'm sure we can find some folks here who may have a good ATV or side by side to help out with this. She also said that there might be some way we could also help out with full sized vehicles, especially if we had a trailer or two. We're going to keep in touch and see if we can get something going here to help them out. The tentative dates are Saturday, October the 21st, or perhaps Saturday, October the 28th. Think it over and let me know if any of you can lend a hand. if so, we can decide which Saturday works best for us. Seems like its for a really good cause. Thanks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORIGINAL FACEBOOK POST:

Thank you for the add. I'm here because I'm working on fire rehabilitation projects in the Hayman Burn scar for a non-profit organization (CUSP Coalition for the Upper South Platte). We could really use the help of ATV or side-by-side owners to drive materials up a freshly-blazed trail around Horse Creek/Deckers. Volunteers would only need to drive back and forth, as our crew will load and unload materials. We need to stage materials in otherwise difficult to access areas, so that we can later go in and build some erosion control structures.
This is somewhat of an exclusive opportunity, as this area is not typically open for the public, though it is beautiful!
I hope this isn't considered spam... but if anyone has any suggestions or would like to chat on this further, please email me at rachel@cusp.ws, or call my office at 719-748-0033 (ask for Rachel). Thanks very much for reading!

http://volunteer.cusp.ws/?event=atv-...rehabilitation
TLCA #22468

The "Honey Badger"- 2003 4-Door Tacoma -- SASed, Locked, Built, and Abnormally Aspirated.

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.

Spread the Gospel of the Wilderness.
Go to the Mountains and hear their good tidings.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:20 AM
Club Treasurer

We have worked with CUSP a few times in the past. Here is an example of a very productive work day: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...highlight=cusp

95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
Old 09-28-2017, 03:39 PM
Land Use Coordinator

Rachel called me again today. We talked about doing a pre-run. Basically I'm going to go out there with their head guy and see what this trail in question looks like and if if I think our trucks can navigate it. I'm not sure exactly when this will happen, but I'll report back as soon as I know something.
TLCA #22468

The "Honey Badger"- 2003 4-Door Tacoma -- SASed, Locked, Built, and Abnormally Aspirated.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:38 PM
Land Use Coordinator

Default Request for Volunteers for CUSP

I just got back from Deckers where I met up with Jeff from CUSP. We walked most of the area where we will be driving. I don't think this area is going to be an issue for our full sized vehicles. However, there will be some trail creation needed.
We will be operating out in the Hammen burn scar between Deckers and The Gulches. There are no roads or trails at this point. The "trail" that we're going to use is little more than an old washed out fire access trail in some parts, and most of it will be in a huge river bed.

So here's what we're going to need.

VEHICLES:
We will need 4-6 rigs.
Preferably rigs with open truck beds, good roof racks, a very capable off-road trailer, or all three. 4-door rigs would be helpful as we will need to transport personnel from the main road staging area in as far as we can get them towards the work area. But 4-doors are not required.
At least 33" Tires and good ground clearance are a must.
Armor is definitely a plus as we may be bumping over some logs and there are several gullies that we will be flexing on pretty good in order to get through.
Winches are also a plus in case we need to move large logs, etc.

TOOLS:

Bring gloves and eye protection. Hearing protection would be a plus as well since there will be chain saws running. (Don't bring chain saws, apparently we aren't allowed to use them. But from what I understand, CUSP may be running them.)
Shovels, axes, straps, tie-downs/ratchet straps, hand saws, and anything else that's easy to carry that you think will be helpful in building trails.

This is happening on OCT 21st. We will be meeting in Deckers at the country store at 9:00 sharp. The staging area is another 10 minutes south from there on the west side of the road. There is no gas out there. So make sure you've filled up on the way out there. If you're coming in from the south, Sedalia is the last gas station. If you're coming in from the north, you'll need to top off in Connifer/Aspen Park. If you're late and no one is at the store when you get there, head south. We will more than likely be staged up just off the side of the road. At least for a little while. I'll also have my CB on Ch. 4 and HAM on 146.460

BRING A LUNCH!

More than likely, we will be out there until almost dark. So make sure you bring plenty of water and food for an all day outing.
It may be cold, especially moving towards dark, so BRING WARM CLOTHES! Hopefully we don't get any snow before then.

The basic mission is this:
Get the CUSP personnel, supplies, and light equipment in as far as we can to the first work site. This may take several trips. This will require some trail building.
Once this is completed, we will then start working on furthering the trail into the back country. This is important for future work days. We will more than likely be working with CUSP on these projects in this area several times this winter and all of next summer. The plan is to build a trail network to be able to access far back into this remote area to continue erosion mitigation and re-seeding efforts for years to come.

Let me know if you're available ASAP.

THANKS!
TLCA #22468

Last edited by TheHoneyBadger; 10-17-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:36 PM
Land Use Coordinator

*bump*
TLCA #22468

Old 10-06-2017, 09:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

unfortunately, that's the state delegates meeting. as president, i should probably be there
ige tlca #1431
62 fj40
65 fj45
71 fj55
78 fj55
95 fzj80
96 fzj80
Old 10-11-2017, 09:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

There gotta be some folks ready to help out with this. Im even ashamed I cant go, but were still trying.

Cmon rising sun! We cant leave Travis out there all alone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLCA #23166

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, SOLD, then totalled

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 10-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman & RS Secretary

This should be moved from Land Use to Event Staging so more people see it - I didn't until it was pointed out in the Kingston Peak recovery thread. I will try to make this run, even though it means I will have to close my store on Saturday.

I'll see if I can get my chain saw started, it has been a couple years and even with Stay-bil I bet the gas is no good.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 10-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
This should be moved from Land Use to Event Staging so more people see it - I didn't until it was pointed out in the Kingston Peak recovery thread. I will try to make this run, even though it means I will have to close my store on Saturday.

I'll see if I can get my chain saw started, it has been a couple years and even with Stay-bil I bet the gas is no good.
Shudder to think someone might look at the Land Use page!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Welcome. Lots of "northsiders" here in the club. We're known to have some of the strongest, coolest and most awesome club members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-13-2017, 11:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Travesty. Ive been pimping it out hardcore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLCA #23166

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, SOLD, then totalled

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver

Tags
volunteer, work