Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-04-2015, 04:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

Well the engine and transmission are back in and the tub is now painted so it's reassembly time finally. The engine is got a spare head on it for the time being while I do some finish work on the final head.

The head that's going on for final assembly has had the combustion chambers cleaned and polished so I'm going to cc them and do any final trim work to match them before coating them with a ceramic coating (assuming I can figure out how to fit the ~30" long head in my curing oven). I already applied that to the piston tops and dry film lube to the skirts before reassembly.

The balance showed upward of 20 grams difference between connecting rods. That's pretty awful. We went through a stack of old rods, got 6 that were close enough and then my guys at the other shop matched everything to under 1/2 gram by removing material. Same with the OEM cast pistons.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

Howdy from Norway! Since Steve is making such great progress I thought I would chime in with some factoids: The balanced rotating assembly out of Steve's original 2F ended up in Ricardo's 40. Steve has the original hard top from the Blue Mule to install on this rig. Steve gave me an oem power steering box off of this rig which I installed on the Blue Mule, then it went to Pritchetts for an oem restoration of a 40 in return for a Saginaw PS conversion straight swap.

He has worked for years to get the hydraulic lifter thing worked out, I want to see that part for sure.

You know I could come over and drag that old yellow C4 out of your driveway and you would have a lot more room to work. Have the tires rotted off of it yet?
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 NOW 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock & (2) 1970 Boss 302 Mustang's THEN 69 FJ40 Buggy "Meanie", Mini-truck "Gecko" & 74 FJ40 "Blue Mule"
Old 10-13-2015, 06:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

Greetings Randy, enjoy Norway. I never made it there, Finland was as close as I got and I was sick as a dog the whole time.

The Corvette is gone, I gave it to charity last summer to make room. I had just lost interest in it and it was time to really concentrate on getting the 40 back together.

For the last couple of weeks I've been working on the body. I got the tub finished first, yesterday I got the hood, fenders and tailgate painted in spite of having an infected tooth. Root canal is on the agenda for me later this morning.

It's coming together finally!
TLCA #23619
Old 10-13-2015, 09:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

pics!
we love 40 pics!!!
Old 10-13-2015, 09:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Let me finish sanding/painting the front sheet metal, the two aprons above the fenders, and the windshield. Then I'll install those last last body parts and take some more pics.
TLCA #23619
Old 12-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Time for some more pics...

Well, it's been bitterly cold, but I get some garage time in whenever we get a break from the worst of it. Lately I have been doing inside the shop work, making brackets, gaskets, wiring harnesses, etc. The list of little detail items that need to be done to finish this job is never ending it seems.

I had already done just enough on the intake manifold to make sure I could make the idea work so I turned some attention to getting it done and installed on the new engine. I had already pocketed the top for the injector and throttle body mounting plates so I assembled the plates using Permatex "Right Stuff"

The "Idle Air Circuit" requires several plates sandwiched together to form the circuit. I used a Ford Throttle body because it had the IAC throttle bypass channel molded into the front of the throttle body, so I didn't need to plumb a separate fresh air supply into the IAC valve.

The IAC valve is on the right, it's a spring loaded solenoid that opens to a degree proportional to a pulsed signal from the ECM to keep the engine at the specified idle speed when it's cold. The IAC channel in the throttle body can be seen on the bottom of the TB on the left.

The last thing I decided to do on the intake manifold before reinstalling it was to make an air gap between it and the exhaust manifold.

I removed all of the clutter inside the exhaust manifold before having it ceramic coated.

Of course I needed a cover plate to block off the area under the air gap.

This left me with a nice air gap measuring 5/8 inch between the two manifolds.

Here's the finished injector rail.

I had to make a new gas pedal.

I also made a custom cable and throttle body bracket for it. (That picture came out blurry).
TLCA #23619
Old 12-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Wasatch Cruisers

Please call or email for pricing, tech, stock check, etc
Join us on Facebook
Old 12-07-2015, 11:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

I love seeing all the detail! Thank you for providing. Much more interesting than the threads where someone writes "then I turbo'd it"...
But I know it is more effort, thank you!

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!

Last edited by Hulk; 01-10-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Still working, slowly cause it's too damn cold out in the garage...

Aside from the custom dash work I've been doing that I posted in another thread, here's the latest.

When you go closed loop FI, the air injection has to go since it would corrupt the O2 sensor data. I started with the JimC air pump eliminator, but decided to go another way by using this instead-

Here's what it looks like mounted with my custom bracket, it has the benefit of making both belts exactly the same so I have to only keep one spare, and belt replacement is tool less..

Earlier in this thread I said I was going to vent the gas tank and not worry about a charcoal canister. Well, after getting into the details of Megasquirt tuning I discovered controlling a canister purge valve would actually be really easy without code modifications.

So I picked up one of these

The bracket is home made, and fits on the master brake cylinder mounting ears like so..

So my now current plan is to run the charcoal canister with a MS purge control cycle once the tune is done.
TLCA #23619
Old 01-11-2016, 12:56 AM
Wasatch Cruisers

Very slick smog eliminator!
Please call or email for pricing, tech, stock check, etc
Join us on Facebook