Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-18-2017, 08:59 AM
Lifted

Default Getting wired for a trailer

I have an 01 4runner. I got an estimate for getting wired up for a round plug. It was pushing $700. I'm not paying that as the parts only cost $200 with the most expensive part being the brake controller at $170 of I choose that one. Some are cheaper and for what I can pull, the fancy one is not necessary.

I found out after I installed the flat 4 pin off my old runner that I didn't need to splice into the wires on the back. Turns out 00 to 02 were all wired for trailers with a plug under the truck behind the drivers rear wheelwell.

My questions are:

1) is the little box the converts the separate break and turn signal to one site present in the plug and play from the factory?

2) is there a round plug (say for a tundra) that will plug into thos factory plug for the 4 pin and then all I would need it to run wire from the battery and break controller to the rest of the wiring harness?

3) if that is the case, where should I run the wires? Through the cab where they stay safe and warm or along the frame where they are exposed to the elements?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 09:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

Brake controller is about $100
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2YOU7V09L79IX

You can buy the 7 pin pigtail for under $40 and wire it yourself.
16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan

Old 10-18-2017, 12:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

With the exception of the brake controller you can hook all the wires up in the rear quarter Panel. Mine had a plug (had the factory tow package).

However, what are you towing (since you are getting a brake controller). My 99 tows up to about 1500 or 2k lbs but it sucks at the high end. I tried to tow a car hauler with it and it was probably the most terrifying thing I’ve ever done. Almost no front brakes at all. Ended up going 15 mph on the shoulder.

Anyway, just a thought.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 10-18-2017, 09:17 PM
Lifted

I'm not planning on going overboard with weight. It seems any trailers worth using have the round plug. My buddies enclosed trailer has that style with electric brakes. Not sure if it has reverse lights or if trailers are still set up with reverse lights anymore. But I have free reign to use it and will be using it when I take my armor to get recoated as well as anything i need to mobe that doesnt fit in the bacl of the 4runner. I thought about skipping the brake controller but it would make pulling much nicer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2017, 07:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

I rented a car hauler, it was only a 4 wire plug, so no brakes on the trailer either. I was like Isaac...There's a lot of weight pushing your back end when the trailer is free wheeling like that...I was almost denied the rental (pulling with my Sequoia) because the weight of my vehicle was light for the load I was pulling (a Range Rover)

1977 FJ40 "Stella"

KD0VUP
Old 10-19-2017, 08:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtnkegger View Post
I rented a car hauler, it was only a 4 wire plug, so no brakes on the trailer either.
Are you talking about a U-Haul sort of thing? They have hydraulic surge brakes, so it's built into the tongue. When you brake in the tow vehicle the tongue compresses and operates the trailer brakes, it's got a little master cylinder that gets activated so it's like there's someone pushing a brake pedal for you. That's how they get away with only using a 4-way flat plug on them.

"Hey Macarena!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Not U-Haul per se, but a local rental place. Maybe that's what they had, but you could feel the push from behind while braking...I didn't have to go far, just across town, but think it would have been a miserable trip if I had to go any distance, or higher speed.

1977 FJ40 "Stella"

KD0VUP
Old 10-19-2017, 11:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

It would have had brakes of some sort, any trailer over 3,000 lbs requires them in Colorado.

"Hey Macarena!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-19-2017, 12:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

7 pins (round plug are the same 4 circuits found in a 4 flat controller but with the addition of three more circuits...

1. Aux battery charger cable.
2. Brake controller.
3. Reverse or auxillary circuit.

I'd tap into the 4 pin location and run a 4/7 pin combo through your bumper, I'd keep the wiring outside and in a loom.

Like this...
Attached Images

1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks

My 100 Series Land Cruiser Build Thread

My camping trailer build up thread.

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 10-19-2017, 01:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Is your 01 pre-wired for the controller under the dash. Most newer truck are. Generally you find a pigtail in the glove box when you buy it new. Even if not, wiring a trailer controller is pretty easy. Plus you already have the 4-pin so your half done.

That 4/7-pin unit Drew posted would work well. I used a similar unit that you'd find on a Tundra or F250 from the factory. Got it from E-Trailer. I also had a 4-pin prior so I was just mounting the controller, tap into the brake pedal circuit under the dash, supply it power, and then run a couple lines back to the plug. I did everything outside the cabin.
2004 Starcraft 10RT