Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

My experience with an air tank was after about the first 1/4 of the first tire, it wasn't netting any real benefit, was living out of the compressor again. And that was with a belt-driven York.. however if I were to set up two compressors I'd likely plumb them to a single tank, with check valves, as you're doing.. just to keep them isolated from each other.

curious why you need to air up so fast? I'd put reliability over speed personally.. if you need to reduce total time away from home just drive faster-

05 525EXC, 06 TW200, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-01-2017, 10:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Will the tank have pressure when the compressors are not running? There lies your answer....
Ahhh, I see. Thanks whenever I think of this as water and pumps it all makes sense, when I am thinking of air my brain checks out.
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks

My 100 Series Land Cruiser Build Thread

My camping trailer build up thread.

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 11-01-2017, 10:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
My experience with an air tank was after about the first 1/4 of the first tire, it wasn't netting any real benefit, was living out of the compressor again. And that was with a belt-driven York.. however if I were to set up two compressors I'd likely plumb them to a single tank, with check valves, as you're doing.. just to keep them isolated from each other.

curious why you need to air up so fast? I'd put reliability over speed personally.. if you need to reduce total time away from home just drive faster-
Tim, if I am honest I want to see if I can get even remotely close to the performance of the ARB twin compressor for a fraction of the cost. I KNOW it is an awesome unit, but I can't justify the cost at this time. I'd like to add air to the 100 and the 40, as right now I use a HUGE 20# CO2 Setup which is FAST but cumbersome. These little guys combined are about the size of a lunch box... so I thought I'd try.

Short answer is, I have been spoiled by CO2's speed. Gotta' try to milk any performance I can out of a compressor. Plus again, it's the game of trying something new.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Drew, have you thought about a smaller CO2 setup? I've wheeled for years off a 10lb tank, and would often have air left over for friends rigs. As part of an effort to make my 4runner less of a pig I've moved to a 5lb tank. It'll fill my 39.5x16.5 Rockers 3 times, which is plenty for me. I'll pickup another 5lb tank to keep in my tow rig before spring.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 11-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yes, CO2 really rocks. But with my family of five and hauling that big tank around things are getting pretty tight and space is at a premium. I might still run CO2 in the 40 as I can bolt to the side of the tub under the rollbar.

However, I have been looking for an onboard air solution for the 100, and I really wanted the dual ARB compressor but the price tag all in is nearly 600 bucks. This is as much about the project as it is about the results for me. I know there's better options, but this is the road I'm taking for now.

I had a little time to strip the compressor down to the bare bones today. They're actually very compact all said and done. I also fabricated a couple of little brackets to mount them too. I just have to drill holes for ventilation to the cylinders and I can bolt it all together. I will add check valves and then combine the hoses via a T to the air compressor tank that I will be in the spare location. From there I'll plumb 2 lines and be done.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2017, 02:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'm going to try and source a few heat sinks to eat and cooling this thing down as I imagine it being beside a set of rear drawers eventually.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default My quad compressor build...

Not sure if you've made many connections yet, but I found that this thread sealer results in way less leaks than the tape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Horribly Painted Moonglow '95 FZJ80 Has Some - Still Needs More!
White 2008 GX470 - Nearly Stock

"When you come upon the guy barely pushing on his pedals, barely turning the cranks, RESERVE JUDGEMENT...for you have no idea the HELL he conquered before you finally caught up to him." PDL

http://www.vrbo.com/322094
Old 11-01-2017, 02:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Paul, I'll pick some up.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Pipe diameter absolutely limits flow in a relatively fixed pressure regime. You need to balance pipe diameter with your compressor output. Too small and you will get very little flow. Too big and the compressor will not keep up or be able to build pressure.

Nakman is correct. You will see very little improvement in speed with the tank beyond the first tire. My brother has a tank on his 100. To me it was so much extra hassle to plumb the tank for the minimal benefit that I would not recommend it at all.

That is for tires of course. For very minimal use of air tools, it would work better. But running an impact for a long duration of time isn’t awesome.

As for performance reference, my ARB twin will fill a 33 on a 16 inch rim from 12 to 35 in about 1:15. Once you get your system rigged up you can report back on how it does on yours and we can do some conversions to see how it stacks up.

I think it will be close. To me, the bigger question is reliability. Not that you can’t have issues with an ARB but most last a long time and have parts support from ARB. They were designed to live under the hood whereas these were not, and given the price, I’m guessing they are Chinese. . The one advantage you have is the initial cost looks like it will be about 1/5-1/4 of the ARB cost (looks like you will be in the 100-150 range vs 500). So even if they fail completely, Costco takes everything back, so you could get at least a little of your money back.

Or, you might get 20 years use.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 11-01-2017, 04:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Isaac and I agree. Longevity of service is the big question. It'll be fun to see where it lands when I get it plumbed in. Interesting about the air tank... maybe I'll add a train horn to make it worth while. I am hoping to be under $125 all in.