Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 10-16-2017, 03:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Rampart Range Road

So, I missed the Spooky Night Run (super bummed) and the day job has not been kind as of late. Spending far too much time on planes. Heading out tomorrow for a couple of weeks.

Yesterday I needed to get out. Didn't have to be difficult. I just needed a nice exploratory cruise and to breathe some mountain air. I had Dillen and Piper with me and after a quick errand, we headed south towards Monument. I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to get that direction. Even when I had the FJ, I never went down there.

Once in Monument we headed west and up Mt Herman. It was later in the afternoon but still quite a few folks out. The requisite yahoos abounded as well.

We got up on top, then head north along Rampart Range. Beautiful cruise. Lots of great camping spots. Quiet. Few folks out for target practice.

From Rampart we turned onto Dakan Road and dropped down into Salida. Still not difficult but fun. Finally feel like I'm getting a handle on the size of the Tundra.

Got back into Salida and back home on 25. Perfect way to spend a few hours and there's a ton more I'd like to explore up there.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nice looking Tundra. Was the trail full of complete fools driving recklessly? I used to ride my dirtbike down there a long time ago until it literally got too dangerous for me to ride. Seemed like no one knew trail courtesy and everyone was out of control.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

I live near the Mt. Herman area, which connects to Rampart Range Road, and wouldn't go there unarmed, or leave a vehicle unattended for long. Fun area to poke around in, and many side trails, but too many yahoos. A recent shooting of a much-loved mountain biker has left a lot of people rattled.

http://gazette.com/hatchet-suspect-a...rticle/1613332
Old 10-17-2017, 09:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

I saw that story on the news. Did they ever find the shooter?

Also...I think you meant that you came back through Sedalia, not Salida. . Correct?

Cool pics!

Horribly Painted Moonglow '95 FZJ80 Has Some - Still Needs More!
White 2008 GX470 - Begging for a lift
1967 FJ40 - Nearly Stock

"When you come upon the guy barely pushing on his pedals, barely turning the cranks, RESERVE JUDGEMENT...for you have no idea the HELL he conquered before you finally caught up to him." PDL

http://www.vrbo.com/322094
Old 10-18-2017, 10:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

They have a guy in custody for related stupidity (menacing with hatchet, felony warrants, etc.) , but haven't fully tied him to the Mt. Herman murder.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSN View Post
Nice looking Tundra. Was the trail full of complete fools driving recklessly? I used to ride my dirtbike down there a long time ago until it literally got too dangerous for me to ride. Seemed like no one knew trail courtesy and everyone was out of control.
Yes, this was the case. Tons of people parked along the road on the way up. Several yahoos in Jeeps and side by sides absolutely flying. Once we got up top it thinned out but there were several spots on Rampart Range where people were shooting into the woods. Lots of bullet holes in the Forest Service signs. We did stop a couple of times and I made a few portraits of the kids but there was lots of nearby shooting. Couldn't tell direction so we didn't stick around long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGEONE
I think you meant that you came back through Sedalia, not Salida.
Subconsciously, I meant Salida. I definitely need some time off planes and way out of town. Outlaws Run isn't going to be here soon enough.