Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 10-06-2016, 12:46 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
21 Road was pretty easy when it was dry. Wet would be a great challenge!
Must be wheeling with a bunch of wusses then...

21 RD is as challenging as you make it. That is the beauty of the trail. Sounds like you either got stuck playing follow the leader with a boring leader, or you just didn't get creative enough. If you get bored, just take a line that doesn't suck. Between that and how much it changes from week to week, makes it my favorite trail in Juction.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Disappointing

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Man, that looks like tons of fun, but I'm not taking my 80 on that trail.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman
the club voted to not tell Matt Farr what happened at the meeting.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucker View Post
Must be wheeling with a bunch of wusses then...

21 RD is as challenging as you make it. That is the beauty of the trail. Sounds like you either got stuck playing follow the leader with a boring leader, or you just didn't get creative enough. If you get bored, just take a line that doesn't suck. Between that and how much it changes from week to week, makes it my favorite trail in Juction.
Solo as I got stood up. Skipped a few of the first obstacles but went full tilt on everything after Carnage Corner. Did blow a lower link bushing which made beautiful music the rest of the day. It was very dry that day. Billings is a lot tougher options.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Welcome. Lots of "northsiders" here in the club. We're known to have some of the strongest, coolest and most awesome club members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Solo as I got stood up. Skipped a few of the first obstacles but went full tilt on everything after Carnage Corner. Did blow a lower link bushing which made beautiful music the rest of the day. It was very dry that day. Billings is a lot tougher options.
Billings may be a tougher trail overall but you are limited on what lines are taken. 21 RD offers a little freedom from the norm. Multiple lines on everything. Your only limitation is your imagination. Billings is more of a trail with certain separate obstacles, whereas 21 RD is more of a playground within the trail with fluid, ever changing obstacles.

But each has their own favorites, so I will stop forcing mine on you. Wheeling either trail is a good time.

I will try to post more of the trip later tonight.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:19 AM
Trail Ready

Wet continued to be the theme as Saturday wore on:

Old 10-07-2016, 12:28 AM
Trail Ready

We played for quite a while...

Until Alex got high centered and while trying to drive off, the tires caught and we heard a loud snap. The front would turn for about 3 revolutions and then would lock up. We figured it to be a chromo birf and decided to turn around and fix off of the trail. Here is the spot that did the damage:

Toby graciously offered up their shop (their family owns a towing company in Grand Junction) for us to do the repairs in. Alex quickly tore apart the front and swapped the birf out. We didn't see any real damage to it, but figured it to be the problem based on the metal shavings found in the knuckle. He drove it out of the shop and onto the trailer. We figured all was good and headed back to the hotel to get some much needed sleep.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:54 AM
Trail Ready

Sunday morning we all made our way out to Billings. They are making a new parking lot for us at the "main" entrance, so we parked a little farther down to take the longer way into the trail. Thanks Val (YJgirl) for the heads up! Sorry we missed you out there! While unloading the trailers, Alex had his front end lock up on him again. Same thing every couple of revolutions and the front would lock up. At this point we all figured that he actually had broken some teeth of the front ring gear. We didn't have a spare 3rd with us (I left them behind in my haste) and no one felt like starting the day wrenching, so he made the call to bail, and head home at a reasonable hour. He did manage to snap some pretty shots on his way back over the passes:

Now that it was just Toby's rig and mine, we figured we could run the trail quickly. Boy were we wrong. About halfway to the trailhead, my steering locked up while turning left. I had just recently installed hydro assist and feared the worst. It looked as I must have bent my tie rod the day before just enough, and now the ram mount on the tir rod was making contact with my spring perch. We took the time to realign the mount and decided to push onward. I ended up stopping a few times again for the same issue before we even reached the trailhead. At this point, I should have called it quits and turned home or taken off the ram. But we decided to soldier on. We entered and went through the guardian rocks:

Toby ended up getting himself stuck just after the guardian rock and while maneuvering to turn around in order to winch him out, my tie rod bent even more, locked up against the spring plate and sheared to steering arm studs off. It was all we could do to get him out and me off the trail. I babied it out until we came to the only ditch on the trail out. I went through as gingerly as I could but as I did it snapped the remaining steering studs, broke the trunion off the steering arm and manged both top and bottom trunion bearings, and trashed a RCV birf. We robbed what we could from the other side and from my spares collection, but we still were missing vital parts for the rig to be driven out. So I asked Toby if they had a 4x4 wrecker, and if they would be willing to just tow it out for me to save us the hassle of trying to keep the wheel on it. He did and called for the truck to come out and fetch us. We got it onto the truck and we began our slow crawl out.

And Toby had to get a poser shot before they unhooked me.

I dragged it onto the trailer and strapped the wheel to the truck and the truck to the trailer

All in all a good weekend was had. I have some fixing to do, and I believe Alex does still too. But hope to have it together soon for an Indy run as Alex hasn't been there yet and I have had the itch to wheel there all summer.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nice! I've been wanting to hit these trails.....