Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-17-2017, 08:29 AM

Default Lost brakes yesterday on Fall River Road

Went up Fall River road trail up to Fall River Reservoir yesterday with a fishing buddy. I chained up to get through some deep snow drifts and had to which up the last 20 yards. One of the chains was loose, it came off the wheel and got wrapped around the DS front axle. It ended up slicing through the brake line. Fun drive home back to Westminster from there...

Now the work begins. I know I need the brake line from the steel line to the caliper. I'll probably replace all 4 of them, drain the fluid, new fluid in, new ABS sensor wire (that got trashed too). Bleed the brake lines.... Rotate the tires.

What else should I consider?!
Old 12-17-2017, 08:16 PM
Wincher

I just did all the brake lines, I don’t have a power bleeder, I bleed at the calipers then up by the master cylinder, had to tap calipers w rubber mallet to get extra air out. What chains do you have? I got knew ones this year w the auto adjusting cams. They are made by titan chains. Then AAA gold membership, I get 2 free 100 mile tows a year as does my wife.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Bummer. Chains are unstoppable. Until they wreck your truck

Might be a good time to do extended brake lines if you ever think you'll go taller?

Horribly Painted Moonglow '95 FZJ80 Has Some - Still Needs More!
White 2008 GX470 - Begging for a lift
1967 FJ40 - Nearly Stock

"When you come upon the guy barely pushing on his pedals, barely turning the cranks, RESERVE JUDGEMENT...for you have no idea the HELL he conquered before you finally caught up to him." PDL

http://www.vrbo.com/322094
Old 12-17-2017, 09:29 PM

Default Brake bleeding

For bleeding brake lines, I'm going to try the traditional method with two people (pump brake, open bleeder, depress brake pedal, close bleeder, repeat).

I'll start with rear passenger wheel, passenger front, that thing above rear axles in the middle, driver side rear, then finally driver side front.

I am intrigued by the gravity bleed method - has anyone ever tried that on an 80?
Old 12-18-2017, 09:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

I gravity-bled my '95 years ago, and for some odd reason, one wheel (I'm imagining the RF) would not bleed. I helped it out with a MityVac and did it that way. I was just bleeding the system to get newer fluid in the lines.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:24 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
For bleeding brake lines, I'm going to try the traditional method with two people (pump brake, open bleeder, depress brake pedal, close bleeder, repeat).

I'll start with rear passenger wheel, passenger front, that thing above rear axles in the middle, driver side rear, then finally driver side front.

I am intrigued by the gravity bleed method - has anyone ever tried that on an 80?
I've been nervous about the pedal pumping method on older vehicles ever since I lost the MC in my '92 Runner right after doing that. Something about part of the piston that's never slid through the seals (or dirty or something, I can't recall) sliding through and messing them up. Maybe it was on it's way out anyway but I've used a Power Bleeder ever since.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:54 PM

Default MC Damage is worrying me...

Yes, I am worried about having done damage to my Master Cycliner by driving all the way from Fall River Road down to Idaho, buying a set of vice grips, refilling the reservoir with fluid and then driving down to Westminster with only about 10% of the normal braking power. I had to use them a few times, and so I pumped that pedal to get whatever braking power I could scrounge, along with pulling the hand brake. I pray that I didn't kill the Master Cylinder in the process.

How would I know that my MC has been damaged?! I suppose the system won't pressurize and the brakes won't work. I guess we'll soon see. I'm buying new steel braided lines from Slee later today.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:17 PM

Default More damage...

I took the DS Front tire off today and found more damage: the ABS sensor has been torn off the wheel hub and smashed, the wire broken....

What are my options? I suppose the vehicle could function without it (just no ABS), but can't leave that big gaping hole in there....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FvDQqgtEzpxCjypB2

It sure looks like I have to get both Right and Left front set together as one expensive set. Geez, it looks like $680 at Rock Auto for that set....

Last edited by Overlander; 12-19-2017 at 11:42 PM.