Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-06-2018, 06:16 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Limp Rear Window

So a few months ago my rear window started to not work without hand help. The motor and gears are fine, but the driver's side isn't being pushed or pulled properly. (See attached pic)

I figure there are some 23 year old plastic parts in there that are probably broken and was wondering if any of you fine people may have some insight into what's wrong and/or what I need to order (some kind of window rehab kit?) to fix this. I don't really want to tear it apart more than once if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2018, 08:36 PM
Wincher

I had an 86 4Runner and the back window has 2 tracks on the base of the window the guides the arms inside. Guessing one or both tracks have rusted out. If the tracks have not rusted the arms inside have rollers/bearings attached to them which could of come loose and fallen off. Notice the window in this pic and the 2 tracks at the base. You would have to open it up to see
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2018, 03:29 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basaltfj40 View Post
I had an 86 4Runner and the back window has 2 tracks on the base of the window the guides the arms inside. Guessing one or both tracks have rusted out. If the tracks have not rusted the arms inside have rollers/bearings attached to them which could of come loose and fallen off. Notice the window in this pic and the 2 tracks at the base. You would have to open it up to see
Thanks a ton for the info/image. I don't think it's rusted based on the general condition of the truck but could be possible. It acts like one side is for sure broken though.

I will investigate further.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:04 AM
Lifted

I had a 93 and would have to lube up the tracks with some lithium grease. It was in a spray can and was pretty easy. I would lay the gate down and trick the sensor to run the window up then hit it with the spray. I would also use a can of food grade silicone to lube up the rubber seal along the upper frame where the window seats and that would make it move easier as well. The gears in the motor would also get a spritz of lithium from time to time. I did have to end up replacing the motor around 250k on the truck. I think I got the motor for $80 at a bone yard if I remember correctly. I have the rear window seal if you think you can use it or want to store it for 15 years in a box like I'm doing right now! It's still in the Toyota wrapper!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 03:02 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the RX View Post
I had a 93 ... I have the rear window seal if you think you can use it or want to store it for 15 years in a box like I'm doing right now! It's still in the Toyota wrapper!
I guess I'm gonna open it up this weekend to do an exploratory search, I will let you know if I rip up my seal lol

Hopefully I'll be able to get the parts I need on a weekend and not have to wait a whole extra week! I'll keep this updated for future reference.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

I cleaned the tracks with water and soap, air dried the with compressed air,hit the with dry silicone and bam, mine fly again.
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks

My 100 Series Land Cruiser Build Thread

My camping trailer build up thread.

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili