Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-21-2017, 01:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
You have an AFM (flapper style) on the 22re. Not a MAF like the 97. On the 97, it has a little unit that measures the mass of air coming in (compensates for temp, etc.). This can misread if it gets dusty/oily.

On your 22re, you have a little gate that opens further the more air you pull in. It can get jammed but it doesn't care about a little dust like the 97. If its not jammed, I'd check voltages coming off of it when you move it with your hand. If that is okay, you don't need to replace it.

Just FYI.
Yup! I have an AFM from the same year of truck as mine coming. I looked at the flapper on mine and while it moves correctly, a few of the readings I got when I probed it (using the FSM) were a bit wonky. I have the details on the first post of the wonky readings.

Worst case, I'm going to end up with a space AFM to keep in my spare parts inventory.
1989 Honda Pacific Coast PC800
2001 Ford Focus ZX3 hot hatch
KD7YBQ
TLCA #23604
Old 07-25-2017, 11:49 AM
Rising Sun Member

I installed a used AFM last night. Unless this one has an identical problem to mine, the problem I'm having wasn't the AFM.

Tonight I am going to see about changing out the TPS for a known-good unit. The hunt continues!
KD7YBQ
TLCA #23604
Old 07-25-2017, 12:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

What brand wires are you using on the plugs?

I had an issue that was a bit different on a 95 4runner (full on cylinder miss). Turned out the cheapo parts store wires had such bad insulation that the current was jumping to the head cover rather than to the plug on one cylinder (wires were brand new). Second set from the parts store had the same issue. This was pretty consistent though, not really intermittent. The other thing was that if you bumped the wires while the truck was running, you'd get a hell of a shock.

Factory set of Toyota plug wires solved the issue entirely.

probably not the issue, but you've done so much that I'm reaching at straws. And if your wires are factory, then forget it.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 07-25-2017, 12:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
What brand wires are you using on the plugs?

I had an issue that was a bit different on a 95 4runner (full on cylinder miss). Turned out the cheapo parts store wires had such bad insulation that the current was jumping to the head cover rather than to the plug on one cylinder (wires were brand new). Second set from the parts store had the same issue. This was pretty consistent though, not really intermittent. The other thing was that if you bumped the wires while the truck was running, you'd get a hell of a shock.

Factory set of Toyota plug wires solved the issue entirely.

probably not the issue, but you've done so much that I'm reaching at straws. And if your wires are factory, then forget it.
The current wires are NAPA brand. Previously I believe they were OEM. I'll double-check that when I get home. The problem was the same before and after. I'll see about firing up the truck after dark and watching for telltale sparks jumping around.
KD7YBQ
TLCA #23604
Old 07-25-2017, 01:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, I'm guessing not. Especially since you only see it on decel. I think its likely a different issue.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 07-25-2017, 01:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'm guessing not. Especially since you only see it on decel. I think its likely a different issue.
I'll tell you my sneaking suspicion... I think it's the Sky Manufacturing drive line E-brake. If the disk was being grabbed by the caliper/pads just enough to make it jerk when the right amount of heat builds up and the right loads are on the drive shaft, that could cause the drive shaft to momentarily stop spinning and load up the two rear wheels just enough to cause a bit of a jerk. Turning on the rear locker would make that not possible because the two rear wheels would then be locked together so you couldn't momentarily load up between the two wheels...

It would figure if it were that e-brake. The thing has been nothing but a headache since I bought it when I did the full floater conversion.

That e-brake, the TPS, the knock sensor, the rear left wheel bearing, the rear diff, the t-cases, the trans and the engine itself are the only things at this point that I haven't ruled out.
KD7YBQ
TLCA #23604
Old 07-25-2017, 02:57 PM

I would drain the rear differential oil and inspect for metal. Coasting while engine braking puts an odd force on the rear diff that could be the indicator of a future/current ring gear failure.

Have you ever noticed a clunk while backing up?
Old 07-25-2017, 03:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatkid View Post
I would drain the rear differential oil and inspect for metal. Coasting while engine braking puts an odd force on the rear diff that could be the indicator of a future/current ring gear failure.

Have you ever noticed a clunk while backing up?
Nope, no clunk backing up. I just did the diff oil (and t-cases, and trans, and front diff) about 500 miles ago (a couple weeks ago). Nothing abnormal in any of them.

It would be surprising if these gears are already starting to fail. Jackson built this diff for me last fall. Brand new ARB locker, all new bearings, new Yukon gears, V6 housing. I followed the break-in procedure, etc.
KD7YBQ
TLCA #23604
Old 07-25-2017, 09:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Removing the caliper on my drive shaft e-brake didn't change the situation.

Another data point: It will now happen when I am coasting down the driveway with the transmission in 1st gear BUT with the clutch not engaged (engine and trans are disconnected from one another so the engine is idling). It seems that it happens more often/worse when the truck is cold than after I've been driving it for a while.

That leads me to believe it is drive train or suspension-related... so I'm going to hold off on replacing the TPS for now.

I took some videos from the vantage point of underneath the truck. They're currently uploading and I will post links once they're done in 30 minutes or so.
KD7YBQ
TLCA #23604
Old 07-25-2017, 11:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Front view: https://youtu.be/YrSaq9iuqqw

Rear view:https://youtu.be/MeG-r3jrolM

It happens every few seconds while coasting down the driveway. Doesn't happen while going back uphill or while in reverse.

I can't watch with sound now so I'm not sure if the noise that I hear in the cab can be heard in the video.

Does anyone see anything abnormal? I don't when I watch but maybe I'm missing it.

edit: was able to listen with sound briefly ( paused watching The Bachelor so I could listen) and yes, the clunking sound is the sound I hear when I get the jerking.
KD7YBQ
TLCA #23604

Last edited by DouglasVB; 07-25-2017 at 11:08 PM. Reason: paused The Bachelor so I could listen