Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-07-2017, 03:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via MSN to 74fj40

I say tape your phone to the windshield!

2005 Silverado 2500hd Duramax
1972 Toyota FJ40
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)

[/font]
Old 12-11-2017, 07:51 AM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontrange View Post
That would take a helper, maybe SteveH will volunteer next time he comes over.

I am planning on coming up to Denver for the next meeting to join R/S if anyone planning on being at the meeting anyway wants to see it run live.
Updates?
Old 12-11-2017, 08:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

Sadly, I blew head gasket last Monday. I'd been fighting an overheating issue I think I had just solved, but too late to save the gasket.

Timing was bad as I'm really busy with work so I haven't been able to make the time to replace it. Guess I'll have to try again for the next meeting in January.
TLCA #23619
Old 12-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Trail Ready

That stinks. Sorry to hear. Why was it overheating?
Old 12-12-2017, 01:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Awe thats a bummer... sorry man. bump in the road I guess, not too bad of a fix so thats good..
82 FJ40
Old 12-12-2017, 02:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Stripe View Post
That stinks. Sorry to hear. Why was it overheating?
The bottom line is the turbo and it's water jacket complicated things with a new long loop to trap air and I had no provision to vacuum it out. The last thing I did after seeing the temperature spike in the road was fit an overflow bottle made of al with a flare fitting on top to apply vacuum, but it was too late I guess. I had already done the damage the last run. I was literly just trying to get it warm again to draw coolant into the radiator before vacuuming the air out when I realized the gasket was already toast.

Its not all bad. I already had decided to replace my intake with a 3FE, so I had a chance to figure out what had to be moved in order to make room.
TLCA #23619
Old 12-13-2017, 08:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

Cool. Did you upgrade any internals? Or simply balance the OEM rotating assembly?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 12-13-2017, 09:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Cool. Did you upgrade any internals? Or simply balance the OEM rotating assembly?
Not really. I did coat the skirts of the pistons with a dry film lubricant and the tops with a thermal coating. And the distributor was replaced with a missing tooth wheel on the crank and Ford EDIS ignition.

That's about it at this point but I have a lot of custom parts that I've made over the last few years that will be added to it over time.
TLCA #23619
Old 12-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontrange View Post
The bottom line is the turbo and it's water jacket complicated things with a new long loop to trap air and I had no provision to vacuum it out. The last thing I did after seeing the temperature spike in the road was fit an overflow bottle made of al with a flare fitting on top to apply vacuum, but it was too late I guess. I had already done the damage the last run. I was literly just trying to get it warm again to draw coolant into the radiator before vacuuming the air out when I realized the gasket was already toast.

Its not all bad. I already had decided to replace my intake with a 3FE, so I had a chance to figure out what had to be moved in order to make room.
Look forward to your progress.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

As a follow-up, I discovered that the gasket didn't fail due to heat. It turns out there was a small pinch in the armor around cylinder #5, and that was where the leak started. I just didn't notice it till it failed. It looks like the gasket got damaged before I installed it (maybe something dropped on it?), and I didn't inspect it closely before I put the head back on, my bad.

I'm going to fix a couple other minor things before putting it back on the road. I noticed my missing tooth wheel for the EDIS ignition was off by about 4 degrees, something easily compensated for in the tuning S/W, but I decided to cut wheel another and get the next one installed at exactly TDC before putting the head back on.

Also, I drilled and tapped the head for a third NPT port for a K type thermocouple so I can get a much more accurate temperature reading than I've been living with so far.

The last thing I plan on doing will be to make another downpipe for the turbo that will incorporate an external wastegate since I have a minor linkage interference problem with the integrated wastegate and the 3FE intake I want to install next spring. I also need to fit a floor mounted parking brake lever, its cable coming out of the firewall was the other thing that interfered with the 3FE intake.
TLCA #23619