Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-29-2017, 01:12 PM
Rock Stacker

Unhappy 22R Valve Train Problems

I've run into an issue that I believe to be related to the valve train of my 87 Pickup and would like some suggestions as to what to do next.

The symptoms:
  1. Clattering noise at certain throttle position and RPM combinations.
  2. After a few minutes of the above, the noise became louder and experienced loss of power.
  3. Rockers seemed to have most oil burned off.
  4. After removing valve cover, white smoke came from the timing chain well.

This shows the smoke from the timing chain well (can't get the embedded YouTube link to work):
https://youtu.be/F0RaX9J99b0

My assumption is that the timing chain skipped a tooth, then when the louder noise started, it has skipped another tooth.

I believe the motor to have 135,000 miles on it and while the previous owner told me that the timing belt was changed 15,000 miles ago, I suspect that to be false (turns out he wasn't honest about much).

In short, is my assessment correct and should I bother attempting to fix it or are the cylinders probably toast?

Any input is appreciated!

Last edited by ReedC; 01-04-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: YouTube Video Fixed
Old 12-29-2017, 03:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

There may be a problem with the video. Are you the owner of the blue pickup from the gulches run?
TLCA #23154
1984 Toyota Pickup "The Geisha"
1994 FZJ 80 "REDRUM" All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
Old 12-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

The smoke may or may not be anything. Was it oil smoke or coolant steam? The smell can tell you if it's burning oil, which is probably not terrible if the engine was hot but might indicate you overheated and cooked it.

If it's coolant steam that would mean the timing cover was worn through, there's no reason coolant should get into the oil side of the timing chain cover. That would definitely be bad.

I don't know if I'd assume the timing chain skipped. Although that's possible. If the timing chain tensioner is bad the chain can slap around and skip or wear the driver's side of the cover, which eventually causes coolant and oil to mix.

Since you have the valve cover off, look down inside the timing chain and see if you can see pieces of plastic from the guides or/and if the driver's side of the cover looks like it has railroad tracks worn in it. It sort of looks like a piece of guide on the left side of the video but a larger resolution photo would help.

Have you checked the coolant and oil condition and level? Also is it possible the coolant froze last week? IOW, have you checked the dilution of the coolant? Wondering if you cracked a block or head or the headgasket blew. Look to see if the coolant overflow is full with oily sludge in it or empty but with foam on the oil dipstick.

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 01-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyodaTocco View Post
There may be a problem with the video. Are you the owner of the blue pickup from the gulches run?
Yes, I'm the guy from the Gulches run. Also, I fixed the video. The embed wouldn't work so I just included the video link.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Commander

Looks like Denver and Aurora upull have a couple of potentially 22r powered trucks/4runnerís if you need parts.

2008 mall cruiser - aka Black Beauty - ramps good
1994 fzj80 - nearly 500,000 miles young - thrasher rig
84 FJ60 low gears, locked, fun, rebuilt-2FE - gone
1995 Toyota Camry, 4x4 at heart

"In God [i] trust. All others, bring data"
-E. Deming
Old 01-06-2018, 05:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

Does the engine turn by hand? You can use a socket wrench on the crank pulley bolt and turn it, or at least you should be able to. Try turning it until the bright link on the chain lines up with the dot on the cam gear.

Name:  IMG_1023_alt.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  90.4 KB

Then hopefully some of the intake and exhaust cam followers will be loose. Either way, look down at the crank pulley and you'll see there's a line in it that should line up with the numbers on the oil pump. They are degrees advanced, they are normally used for ignition timing, but obviously you want the line to be on zero. When that happens with the chain link on the dot it means you have #1 cylinder at TDC.

Name:  post-4544-0-05436500-1386070982.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  45.3 KB

Old 01-06-2018, 05:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

I not convinced that you have a timing chain issue, looks like to me the guides are intact and if they haven't broken (it would be the driver's side most likely) it's very difficult to see how the chain could have jumped. The 22R is an interference engine, so if that happened you'd know with bent valves.

Perhaps the oil pump, front main seal, HG. I'll be interested to hear if the cam timing is on or off.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

BTW, it's been a while since I did this, but there are two special links. Pretty sure there's a matching dot on the crankshaft gear and you use the two links when installing the chain. So it's possible that you'll have to try a couple of times to know you have the correct bright link at the top.

Name:  IMG_0894_mid.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  140.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0895_mid.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  108.0 KB

Tags
22r, carbureted, chain, timing, valve