Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-09-2018, 10:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Alarm systems and security thoughts?

I'll be bringing my 4runner to an area where I'm more concerned about vehicle break-ins and theft in the near future. Currently I've got a couple kill switches installed and if I'm concerned, I'll put the transfer cases in LO-LO to confuse a wouldbe thief. However, I'm thinking that I should do more.

I've tried getting something like a stated or agreed upon value or replacement value insurance policy for my truck but have been unsuccessful because I can't put my truck in a garage.

Does anyone have suggestions/thoughts on what else I should be doing? Best bang for the buck?
1989 Honda Pacific Coast PC800
2001 Ford Focus ZX3 hot hatch
KD7YBQ
TLCA #23604
Old 01-10-2018, 12:32 AM
Trail Ready

Are you going to be near the vehicle or far away from it? What is the situation here exactly? Is this at home while your on a trip or Something? I use a club as a simple visual deterrent to give a message to buzz off. After that I have taken further steps if they want to go ahead and get through the club.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

On older trucks without airbags, a Grant removable steering wheel and a kill switch. Anything more isn't useful since they're probably using a flat bed. Alarms don't work since people just ignore them and a pro will know how to defeat it anyway.

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 01-10-2018, 07:05 AM
Trail Ready

I've always thought the removable steering wheel was cool. As far as a flat bed, and while its unpreventable for them to haul it away, it's possible to know where your vehicle is at all times. So u can just go to where they take it and bring the police with u.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Stripe View Post
I've always thought the removable steering wheel was cool. As far as a flat bed, and while its unpreventable for them to haul it away, it's possible to know where your vehicle is at all times. So u can just go to where they take it and bring the police with u.
Using a tow truck to steal cars isn't unheard of. No one gives a tow truck a second thought and there's no hassling with alarms or engine immobilizers. Most of the pros are taking cars for parts or to ship out of the country anyway. GPS trackers and Lo-Jack are what you need then and you need to know immediately to track it. What we're trying to avoid are opportunity thieves and tweakers.

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 01-10-2018, 08:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

A doubled transfer case in low-low may not be the best anti-theft, but it would make for a good chase
77 VW Beetle
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed

Long live the carburetor!
Old 01-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Put this in the front seat. http://animalprops.com/416-zeus-dobe...play-prop.html
Attached Images

1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL

Last edited by OilHammer; 01-10-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

HAHAHA that dog plush toy wins hands down.

Basically I'm moving somewhere with no driveway and the garage is too small to squeeze the truck in. While the area is nicer, there is car theft.

And yeah with a tow truck or flatbed, it's bye bye truck very fast. I've heard that some of the chop shops will have a vehicle apart and dispersed within an hour or two of it being stolen.

I might look into that Grant removable steering wheel solution. And in the interim I'll probably get a club and look at some of the vehicle trackers that I could do a month-to-month plan on.

I'm debating just storing the truck in a shipping container about four hours away from where I'll be living on some land my parents have in the mountains. Would suck though because I wouldn't see my truck very often. Like maybe once a month and for four or five months of the year when there's too much snow it would be locked away and out of reach.

*sigh* maybe this will be what drives me to get a newer Taco that's harder to steal.
1989 Honda Pacific Coast PC800
2001 Ford Focus ZX3 hot hatch
KD7YBQ
TLCA #23604