Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 10-02-2015, 10:14 PM
Rock Stacker

No crap! We have donated over $2k in just registrations to this state...
Old 10-03-2015, 09:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

A few years ago Dem Gov Ritter added a fee onto registration to help pay for bridges and roads. Of course this is illegal because it is actually a tax hike that the people of Colorado did not vote for...sound familiar? And, of cours, the bridges and roads are not getting fixed. My utility trailer went from $11/yr to $44/yr after this "fee"was enacted.

Anyway I won't go on or we will have to move this to the Political and Controversial section.

Barry, to answer your original question, Alaska has made things a bit more difficult to claim the Sauidi-like oil royalty, but many people still try to maintain a "residence" there and keeping a vehicle registered there can help with their case.

Edit: this is the way it used to be....not sure what AK is doing now for the oil share program and it may just be that now AK is just a lot cheaper to have your vehicle registered there.

Horribly Painted Moonglow '95 FZJ80 Has Some - Still Needs More!
White 2008 GX470 - Begging for a lift
1967 FJ40 - Nearly Stock

"When you come upon the guy barely pushing on his pedals, barely turning the cranks, RESERVE JUDGEMENT...for you have no idea the HELL he conquered before you finally caught up to him." PDL

http://www.vrbo.com/322094

Last edited by LARGEONE; 10-03-2015 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 10-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yes CO taxes are crazy, they've gotten enough of my money ( plus everyone and their mother is moving here, CO is doing just fine with everyones money). Doesn't matter if your in the military or not, you are still required to get new plates in whatever state/country your in. In the end, police have a too much to deal with, than worry about an out of state license plate. I don't need to go to AK every 2 years either, they just send a sticker in the mail to my CO address. Until CO changes the ridiculous "system", I will continue to keep my AK plates (probably forever)!
'02 4Runner
Old 10-03-2015, 10:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

You have to be a resident for at least 2 years to claim the oil dividend
'02 4Runner
Old 10-05-2015, 09:01 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
Many people do what they can to retain residency in Alaska in order to claim the Permanent Fun Dividend every year. I think that probably has a lot to do with it.

Alaska required you to register your vehicle within 60 days of driving it into the state too, and they enforced it pretty strongly.

The one that blows me away in Montana plates. Montana will give you plates for life, and no emissions. So you see a lot of exotic sports cars and whatnot with MT plates.

Dan
As I recall the main reason for the MT plates on exotics and megadollar RVs (Prevosts, Newmars and the like) is the fact that there is no state sales tax, and anyone can set up a LLC to title their toy in Montana and not pay any sales tax.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGEONE View Post
A few years ago Dem Gov Ritter added a fee onto registration to help pay for bridges and roads. Of course this is illegal because it is actually a tax hike that the people of Colorado did not vote for...sound familiar? And, of cours, the bridges and roads are not getting fixed. My utility trailer went from $11/yr to $44/yr after this "fee"was enacted.

Roads definitely fall under a tax of some sort for those that drive on them, but why they need so many forms is what's nuts. (Fuel, Registration, Emission, and Toll) What's frustrating, is they continue the taxes but still need toll roads on top of it. What's really nuts, is that the current tax system actually encourages the one thing they don't want- old cars on the road that "pollute" more.

Meh...back to topic. Ok, so most people are likely former AK residents and they continue "residency" there to some extent to save $5k on registration here, and get the $3k Oil dividend. Makes sense to me.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL

Last edited by OilHammer; 10-06-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Rock Stacker

@milehigh, for folks on active duty you can typically keep your home of record drivers license and vehicle registration etc. Once you retire you need to comply with whatever state your living in or return "home". I had permanent plates for my 40 and m/c for many years. IIRC correctly lifetime plates were only offered for 11 year and older vehicles.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGEONE View Post

Anyway I won't go on or we will have to move this to the Political and Controversial section.

Barry, to answer your original question, Alaska has made things a bit more difficult to claim the Sauidi-like oil royalty, but many people still try to maintain a "residence" there and keeping a vehicle registered there can help with their case.

Edit: this is the way it used to be....not sure what AK is doing now for the oil share program and it may just be that now AK is just a lot cheaper to have your vehicle registered there.
FASTER really chapped my behind...
'Nuff said.

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 10-06-2015, 04:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

$145 fee to register my rig for 2 years (stickers are good for 2 years there, 1 year in CO). **** the system!! Don't even get me started on Income tax!!!
'02 4Runner
Old 10-06-2015, 09:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
FASTER really chapped my behind...
'Nuff said.
FASTER...that was it! I forget what it stands for...I only remember being pissed about the governor circumventing the state constitution to levy a tax on CO citizens, and that my utility trailer was then as much to register as my FJ40 was before the "tax" went into place.

Horribly Painted Moonglow '95 FZJ80 Has Some - Still Needs More!
White 2008 GX470 - Begging for a lift
1967 FJ40 - Nearly Stock

"When you come upon the guy barely pushing on his pedals, barely turning the cranks, RESERVE JUDGEMENT...for you have no idea the HELL he conquered before you finally caught up to him." PDL

http://www.vrbo.com/322094