Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 10-13-2015, 01:56 PM
Trail Ready

Default My BBQ weekend

This past weekend I had the pleasure of traveling down to Texas to compete in my second ever, and the team's 3rd, "pro" BBQ event. It was a KCBS (Kansas City Barbeque Society) sponsored event and our second of the year. We aren't in it to be competitive, at least not yet, but to get together and cook some great food and give the real professionals a run for their money.

This event is one of a kind. It is the Ft Bliss Brews and 'Que. It is unique as it is the only event of it's kind on any US base right now. They actually open the base to the public and welcome the whole town of El Paso to come join in all the festivities. Music, beer, and of course some of the best BBQ one will ever get the chance to eat.

Our team, the Jolly Roger Bar-B-Crew, swept every event competing as a "backyard" or amateur team a few years before, which actually forced us to go "pro" if we wanted to compete in any other events. Last event over July 4th weekend in New Mexico, my first as a pro, we did extremely well by coming in 5th overall out of 41 teams. And the team has placed well at all of the events we have entered, so our hopes were set pretty high.

There are 6 different categories, but only the 4 meat categories are mandatory. This event was Margaritas, Chicken, Pork Ribs, Pork Butt, Brisket, and Dessert. We don't really put much effort into the two optional categories and focus on the meat. But this year we actually got 3rd in Margaritas! But we only placed in the top 5 (only payout positions) in one other category, Pork Ribs. There we picked up 5th place. We came in 17th overall out of 41 teams. Had hoped to do a little better but can't complain with two calls. Especially against the very tough competition. It's near the end of the season and the top teams on the circuit must have thought El Paso would be easy points, as it seemed like they all turned out. Proud of the team for hanging with the best of the best, and forcing them to put out such good food. Here is a link to all the weekend's scores: http://www.kcbs.us/event/5721/bliss-brews-que

And a few photos:

Our base cooking camp for the weekend:

Our team passes:

And the good stuff, the food. Sorry forgot to get photos of the margs and dessert. Will post later if one of the other members of the team got some:

Chicken (14th place):

Pork Ribs (5th place):

Pork Butt (35th place). We tried something new... Guess they didn't like it much:

Brisket, sliced and burnt ends (13th place):

Old 10-13-2015, 10:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nice work! I may need to try those ribs sometime...

and I'm in El Paso all the time, though never on a weekend unfortunately. But we just missed each other!

05 525EXC, 06 TW200, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-13-2015, 11:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

that is some fine looking meat
bbq chicken mmmm

impressive results too!
Old 10-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

NICE!

Makes me miss BBQ Fest in Memphis.

Thanks fr posting up and nice work out there, people are serious about their "Q" and placing that well ain't no small feat!
82 FJ40
Old 10-14-2015, 09:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

Wow...I was going to post up some pictures of my smoked elk roast from this weekend, but I think I will go crawl back under my rock! Nice work! I wish I knew more about professional BBQ, 'cause I'm sure there are some tricks that would make my Weber smoker put out even better results.

Good luck on your future competitions. We have a great Margarita recipe if you need one going forward

P

Horribly Painted Moonglow '95 FZJ80 Has Some - Still Needs More!
White 2008 GX470 - Begging for a lift
1967 FJ40 - Nearly Stock

"When you come upon the guy barely pushing on his pedals, barely turning the cranks, RESERVE JUDGEMENT...for you have no idea the HELL he conquered before you finally caught up to him." PDL

http://www.vrbo.com/322094
Old 10-14-2015, 11:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

this thread makes me hungry and thirsty. Shoot, if only there was a run coming up in the evening with a big potluck dinner, then optional camping afterwards. Man that would be sweet, right?

oh wait

05 525EXC, 06 TW200, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-14-2015, 01:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

So where can the average meat-eating, Land Cruiser driving dude get a taste of those ribs? Do you do any catering? Food truck? Or is this all just personal/hobby cooking?
Old 10-14-2015, 01:58 PM
Trail Ready

Thanks for the kind words everyone. The event was a blast and it was good to get together with lifelong friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
So where can the average meat-eating, Land Cruiser driving dude get a taste of those ribs? Do you do any catering? Food truck? Or is this all just personal/hobby cooking?
Sorry, I am not a caterer nor do I have any of the necessary licenses needed. Nor the time or required desire. I have a more then full time job that I can not take away from. My small metalworking shop is booked out over 7 months right now and that list grows everyday. We do this for hobby and in order to to see each other. Not to make money. None of us have the desire to get into that line of work.

But if you want to try some of the best BBQ you will ever get a chance to taste, head out to your local KCBS event. I know there are a couple in CO each year. They are always fun and the food is incredible.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Smokers and Charcoal Briquettes

What are your thoughts on charcoal briquette smokers and this one in particular?

I read great reviews on it an its results.

http://pitbarrelcooker.com/
TLCA#22277
2000 LX470 152k
Old 10-16-2015, 04:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Colorado is lacking in two areas: Ocean size bodies of warm water and really good BBQ. Good BBQ available to the general public, that is. Yours looks beyond edible and if the club could pony up for some of your product at, say a club Christmas party, I think it would be a major hit and a great affair. Congrats on showing so well at a big-time BBQ gathering.