Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-27-2005, 10:26 AM
rgsiii rgsiii is offline
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NM
Posts: 13
Default High altitude performance

I am normally driving at an altitude of about 200 feet and when I went to Colorado earlier this month there was a marked reduction in performance of my Land Cruiser. I was driving a 1994 FZJ 80 with 285 tires, weighing 6,250 pounds empty and not regeared. It was tuned up recently and the timing and compression tests are OK. I first noticed the problem in Denver and when I had some work done at Christo’s they commented on it on it being sluggish. I put some Toyota BG44 in the gas and it made a slight improvement. Driving on the Interstate to Grand Junction, there were spots when it was unable to go faster than about 30 mph. It was a heavily loaded vehicle likely well above 7,000 pounds. Off road it did OK except in one spot. What sort of speeds are normal on the Interstate for a FZJ 80 at high altitudes?

When I got back home, it appeared that the throttle positioning sensor was acting up and I replaced it. I got rebuilt fuel injectors from Man-a-Fre and the vehicle is doing better than I remember it doing in the past. Does anybody have other ideas on getting the vehicle ready for another trip? I will likely be hauling less stuff in the vehicle in the future—I brought a lot of camping and what I later realized was unnecessary recovery equipment.

Thanks,

Richard
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-27-2005, 10:44 AM
wesintl's Avatar
wesintl wesintl is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: in da house
Posts: 7,579
Send a message via AIM to wesintl
Default

30 mph is still faster than me...
__________________
See you on the trail
WØREK
Couple o' FJ40's, BJ70, UZJ100, TDI 66FJ40,82FJ60,97FZJ80
TLCA#4180
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Romer's Avatar
Romer Romer is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Englewood, Colorado
Posts: 7,074
Default

Maybe what you did alreday fixed it. I don't have any issues like those you talked about. Although it does get a bit sluggish on the steep mtn. passes.

Ken
__________________
Ken Romer - K0ROM
04 UZJ100
77 FJ40
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,153
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgsiii
I am normally driving at an altitude of about 200 feet and when I went to Colorado earlier this month there was a marked reduction in performance of my Land Cruiser. I was driving a 1994 FZJ 80 with 285 tires, weighing 6,250 pounds empty and not regeared. It was tuned up recently and the timing and compression tests are OK. I first noticed the problem in Denver and when I had some work done at Christo’s they commented on it on it being sluggish. I put some Toyota BG44 in the gas and it made a slight improvement. Driving on the Interstate to Grand Junction, there were spots when it was unable to go faster than about 30 mph. It was a heavily loaded vehicle likely well above 7,000 pounds. Off road it did OK except in one spot. What sort of speeds are normal on the Interstate for a FZJ 80 at high altitudes?

When I got back home, it appeared that the throttle positioning sensor was acting up and I replaced it. I got rebuilt fuel injectors from Man-a-Fre and the vehicle is doing better than I remember it doing in the past. Does anybody have other ideas on getting the vehicle ready for another trip? I will likely be hauling less stuff in the vehicle in the future—I brought a lot of camping and what I later realized was unnecessary recovery equipment.

Thanks,

Richard
You don't want to hear it but forced induction is the key to high altitude blues! I can do 65 on most any pass in my supercharged FZJ-80. Its all about how much your willing to spend for drivability!
__________________
KØUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-27-2005, 07:24 PM
rgsiii rgsiii is offline
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NM
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl
30 mph is still faster than me...
No wonder, you don’t even have spark plugs! I have a BJ42 that is turbo’d. I really think it would have done better at altitude. It would have killed me going across Oklahoma, Kansas and Arkansas. Maybe with the remedies, it will make the 80 more altitude friendly. I never noticed any real problem at sea level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer
Maybe what you did alreday fixed it. I don't have any issues like those you talked about. Although it does get a bit sluggish on the steep mtn. passes.

Ken
Ken, what sort of speeds can you get up to in the area of the Eisenhower Tunnel? I really was getting pretty nervous with 18 wheelers passing me up.

I really enjoyed meeting you in Denver. We didn’t make it to Moab, but had a great time around Ouray. Maybe Moab in the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
You don't want to hear it but forced induction is the key to high altitude blues! I can do 65 on most any pass in my supercharged FZJ-80. Its all about how much your willing to spend for drivability!
I am toying with the idea of a TC or Supercharger. I am thinking about going to Mexico and will have to figure out how available premium fuel is south of the border. I would hate to be stuck using a low octane fuel and get into trouble in a country with only a small Toyota presence.

Richard
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Romer's Avatar
Romer Romer is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Englewood, Colorado
Posts: 7,074
Default

I can do 50-55 getting up close no problem, 60 if I push it. The 40 would probably be doing . . . . 40.
__________________
Ken Romer - K0ROM
04 UZJ100
77 FJ40
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-27-2005, 09:29 PM
bh4rnnr's Avatar
bh4rnnr bh4rnnr is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Littleton
Posts: 3,965
Default

I can usualy keep the runner around 50mph going up the tunnel/vail pass.... New gears helped on that part alot... Befor it was around 40. Kinda get used to getting passed by truckers. It gets me home, thats good enough for me.
__________________
-Perry Loughridge aka "Skelator" aka KDØLDQ
4th gen Coloradoan.
-87 Toyota 4runner. Flat bed by Proffitts Cruisers 5.29 gears, rear locker. 33" mt/r tires. Snackster cooker. Eazi-Awn 1200 RTT and more tube work by the Homegrown Crew . And still more to come


COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2005, 03:11 PM
Rzeppa's Avatar
Rzeppa Rzeppa is offline
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kittredge CO, USA
Posts: 5,264
Default

You're on the right track, concentrating on fixing things that may not already be working optimally, but with fuel injection your mixture should be already properly compensated. As Kevin mentioned, the only remedy is forcing more air in there. You have a heavy vehicle, and the laws of physics aren't on your side. Gears will only compensate for tires, but can't make more power.

Welcome to Colorado!
__________________
Jeff Zepp
Kittredge CO USA
1971 & 1976 FJ40s, 1978 FJ45, 1987 FJ60
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-31-2005, 07:15 AM
farnhamstj's Avatar
farnhamstj farnhamstj is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: vail co
Posts: 2,583
Default uzj 100

I decided I wanted to do 75 over the passes. So I went for the v8. No comparison to the 80. Putting a header on my 40 maybe gained 5 mph up the pass. When I first arrived in the mountains I would get pissed at how slow I drove. You quickly decide that Land cruisers were just not made to go fast. Oh except the 100
__________________
98 uzj100. Factory rear-ARB front locked 4.88's. ARB Bull, Warn 9000, Irbis rear bumper, Slee sliders and belly pan. OME t-bars w/863 rears, HID, XM
KD0GWO
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.