Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-27-2009, 12:47 AM

Mine is too obvious! Our 87 Honda is red also, but we call her Bessie. Our "purple" Honda is called Rose (don't ask, we will lie). Our Packard is called Dad's Baby, she was and I still am!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

Ok, let's see. Jacket started as an abbreviation for YellowJacket from my old days hanging out on college basketball discussion boards (I went to school in ACC country). I tried to leave it behind at some point, but then I decided I liked the double-meaning of the word in an outdoorsy sense. And I like the fact that it's not a random bunch of letters and numbers and is easy to remember and associate. And I've never come across a place where "jacket" was already in use.

So Jacket it is...
Old 05-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

I had a '97 F250 Powerstroke (don't ask why) that I traded straight across for a '97 green 4Runner, and figured I got the better end of the deal. That became my wife's truck (in partial penance for ever buying a Powerstroke), because it was nice, and because I wanted to get back into 4Wheeling after my 1982 Hilux, and 1989 XtraCab I so foolishly sold, I got her 1990 4Runner, which was red (and tired, but fair game for the welder and modifying).

So which 4Runner to take to the store? The red one, or the green one? Oh, and as it happened that day, I had just made a FINE batch of both red and green chili and I loved all manner of chilis in cooking. Family history in New Mexico will do that to a fella.

So they became Red Chili and Green Chili. The current incarnation of Red Chili (RC2) happened after RC1 stopped the forward progress of an undocumented driver running a red light. No one was hurt, and it was a blessing in disguise, because what I really wanted was an earlier 4Runner with the removable top, so not only did I get that, I got seed money for the project besides.

And so it began...
More in my bio.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default I wouldn't belong to a club that would have me as a member...

My personality type is one that will not speak up much unless I have something I feel is important to say. When first playing around on the internet, email and forums were loaded with those cool ih8mud, red69bug, oicurmt, ftwbtwfu, etc handles. I did not want to search my brain for something witty.

So I found somebody witty to do it for me. Once VHS became popular, my grandfather always had Marx Brothers movies around, and sooner than later, so did our family. We rented from the Video Station in Boulder, before Blockbuster and Hollywood video. They always had at least one or two Marx movies. We would watch them until we knew them verbatim. I always loved Marx Brothers humor, because if you weren't paying attention to it, you would miss it. It made you think.

Since Groucho wasn't being used, I chose it.

Groucho: I have half a mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

From Duck SoupRufus T. Firefly(Groucho): Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot, and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: he really is an idiot. I implore you, send him back to his father and brothers, who are waiting for him with open arms in the penitentiary. I suggest that we give him ten years in Leavenworth, or eleven years in Twelveworth.
Chicolini(Chico): I'll tell you what I'll do: I'll take five and ten in Woolworth.

From Go WestS. Quentin Quale (Groucho): Id have thrashed him to within an inch of his life, but I didnt have a tape measure.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

in the very early days of mailing lists and forums I needed a screen name and did not want to use my name or some combination of letters and numbers.

We lived in a really spectacular spot in Mendocino County, CA and I took that name. I have used it ever since and so far have not encountered another Mendocino.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:42 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino View Post
We lived in a really spectacular spot in Mendocino County, CA and I took that name. I have used it ever since and so far have not encountered another Mendocino.
Now explain your avatar.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
When I first choose my Screen Name I was looking for something easy but descriptive. I have no idea if it is descriptive but here goes it. It is from Finding Nemo which I thought was applicable because I never show and I am always out of town so my friends were always asking my where I was so applicable at the time. Now that I can wheel and cover anywhere in this country I want to I figured I could really get lost now.... MEH....

I think it is still good.

Sweet. Another Finding Nemo reference.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 05-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

60wag began on another, now defunct, Land Cruiser forum. The meaning is pretty clear and is actually redundant since all 60s are wagons. An unintended alternate meaning comes from the acronym "wag" which sometimes describes my responses to forum questions. Clear as MUD?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 05-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino View Post
in the very early days of mailing lists and forums I needed a screen name and did not want to use my name or some combination of letters and numbers.

Isn't it legal to grow weed in Mendoncino county? Saw something like that on the TV the other night. CNBC I think.

So is there more to that story?

Drew

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 05-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

This has been cool to read through, thanks for the insight!

Drew

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili