Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Ok, let's see. Jacket started as an abbreviation for YellowJacket from my old days hanging out on college basketball discussion boards (I went to school in ACC country). I tried to leave it behind at some point, but then I decided I liked the double-meaning of the word in an outdoorsy sense. And I like the fact that it's not a random bunch of letters and numbers and is easy to remember and associate. And I've never come across a place where "jacket" was already in use.

So Jacket it is...
Go Jackets! [insert Buzz smiley here]

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 05-31-2009, 09:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
Isn't it legal to grow weed in Mendoncino county? Saw something like that on the TV the other night. CNBC I think.

So is there more to that story?

Drew
Mendocino County is an interesting study in sociology. There are ranchers, vintners, hippies, Hollywood types, dope growers, archaeologists and foresters (that would be me and Ann) and migrant agricultural workers. It is also the place where California's medical marijuana law was first implemented by the district attorney and the sheriff. Drew, this is probably where the CNBC angle came from. Lots of people there grow pot for personal purposes.

The Libertarian DA, Norm Vroman, was a really interesting guy and I am glad to have known him. I did not agree with all of his politics but I did agree with enough of them to help him get elected twice.

Once Norm and I were teaching a pistol class and he asked me to get some targets for him from his car. I opened the door and was hit with the smell of marijuana. I kind of chuckled, here was the district attorney, obviously with pot in his car, and teaching a pistol class for CCW students. He certainly was an interesting character.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Now explain your avatar.
We like to can, and being a bit of a tight fisted guy I frequent garage sales looking for various items, particularly canning items. About 8 months ago I found an original box of Ball "Good Luck Jar Rubbers" from the circa 1940s. The package was in amazing condition for its age. I found the name entertaining and a bit of a departure from the standard Cruiser-Glam-shot.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Well, OK, then. I joined a forum a long time ago and my nickname was taken, which is neither surprising (1) in that it was taken nor (b) particularly fitting for me.

I have been known as Opie to my wide multitude of groupies and beer drinking buddies.

But Opie is not exactly a hard nickname to nail down in appropriateness... My buds back then were nothing if not captains of the obvious, eh? But it naturally morphed well, Pie-man, Oh-pie, simply Pie, etc.

Anyway, joining some forum that required registering already had a Opie, so I need something else. Not being particularly creative at the moment I went with something equally uninspired. Now just for consistency I use the same one just so I don't have to remember what my screen name is for a bunch of different places.

But the avatar here works out in a funny sort of 2 degree sorta way, Goober and Opie, etc, etc, etc. It's also one of the few avatars that actually has some meaning, it was part of a response to something Hulk said I think. Most times my avatars are just random or maybe have some relatively obtuse connection to the forum subject.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 05-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

BTW, I guess I can see it. Ron Howard does look a lot like The Dave.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 08-26-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:18 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

The color of my runner is "Imperial Jade Mica".
Old 05-31-2009, 09:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Well, OK, then. I joined a forum a long time ago and my nickname was taken, which is neither surprising (1) in that it was taken nor (b) particularly fitting for me.

I have been known as Opie to my wide multitude of groupies and beer drinking buddies.

But Opie is not exactly a hard nickname to nail down in appropriateness... My buds back then were nothing if not captains of the obvious, eh? But it naturally morphed well, Pie-man, Oh-pie, simply Pie, etc.

Anyway, joining some forum that required registering already had a Opie, so I need something else. Not being particularly creative at the moment I went with something equally uninspired. Now just for consistency I use the same one just so I don't have to remember what my screen name is for a bunch of different places.

But the avatar here works out in a funny sort of 2 degree sorta way, Goober and Opie, etc, etc, etc. It's also one of the few avatars that actually has some meaning, it was part of a response to something Hulk said I think. Most times my avatars are just random or maybe have some relatively obtuse connection to the forum subject.
I knight thee Sir OPIE
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KØVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 05-31-2009, 09:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert View Post
I knight thee Sir OPIE
Done!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Lifted

Well came originally from a Jeff Foxworthy joke about drive-bys in his time mooning people. So the first time I had the top off of my cruiser we did drive-bys with Star Wars nicknames. I was Rogue Leader my Co-Pilot was Chewbacca, Han and Luke were the gunners in the rear. So it kinds stuck.

MACINNES CLAN
Well we allready got one (holy grail)
I fart in your general direction
SEAN JONES KD0DHU

Fighting fire in the last frontier.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Your name will always be Radar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
- A nickname that was earned for sure
And if I remember right I got that nickname because last year I spent basically the whole summer driving around picking up parts and being early on the boards to find good deals (or at least cheap deals - some of them weren't so good). It seemed like there were lots of parts going up for sale and I was always in need and always early to swipe them up. I also put 22,000 miles on my truck that year BTW.

And I had to watch a season of M*A*S*H just to understand the reference. I don't sleep with a teddy bear though...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD