Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Bloody L.: Carrier side bearings

I have a very nice Craftsman gear puller. It has a vise lock on the three jaws to prevent them popping out. Oh, they definitely won't.

But the carrier side bearings on my ARB will certainly grenade under pressure. (Koyos) There is no way to slip something behind them and pull the inner race, so you grab the cage. Unfortunately, both bearings grenaded. Yeah, on the second one I used a torch. That only seemed to induce thermal shock, and I watched as the roller popped the top ridge off the inside race.

I've not run into this before.

Well... now that the inner race is very easy to get to... what are my options? Take a die grinder and cutting wheel and CAREFULLY grind in something for the puller jaws to grab? Use said die grinder and cut them as much as I dare, and chisel them till they fracture off?

That seems pretty Neanderthal to do to a $700 carrier...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Rising Sun member

pictures
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Have you tried a bearing clam-shell and a press? Never heard of using a gear puller on bearings before.

I have always used the clamshell. It usually takes 5 or so tons of pressure to get them off. Robbie can give you a better idea on the tonnage, but usually gear installs require at least a 12 ton capable press.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 06-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Your pix are lovely... but not applicable to Toy bearings. Take off that outer race and expose the cage, and leave NOTHING for the clamshell to engage besides the roller cage, and you have it.

I started with a bearing splitter and my 12 ton press. That REALLY causes the cage to pop those rollers out. Believe me... you ain't gettin' NOTHING under the inner race such as shown in the pix.

I called it a gear puller, but it is a generic puller resembling other brands of side bearing pullers.

[edit] I do see where the clamshell in the article does not actually have to get under the inner race. Oh shiznit. Too late for me now. I have only inner races at this point.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/te..._Puller_Review

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, sorry Dave. My edit was meant to say, I am an idiot.

Actually, I was completely misled by a gear setup website that shall remain nameless. And suggested using what I used. I now see how clamshell pullers work, and realize that is what I needed (I hate this earn as you learn method of learning... or should I say, pay as you learn). It would have been perfect. I thought I was soooo prepared.

Don't trust everything you see on the web.

So now that I am screwed ... any ideas?
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 06-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

so... did your "uber reliable" arb break or sumtin????

this is a reference to a conversation that was about 6 or so years ago in moab.... on the trail... mending an arb....

right after you snickered at my detroit.

john (johnny) henley
Old 06-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Wow, I should put in a Detroit to stop all possibility of pinion breakage?
Who'd a thunk it? Sign me up!

LOL

I never snickered at your Detroit, kind sir. And what I mended was due to installer error leaving enough blue line slack to touch the exhaust.

Never mind that I was the installer. Just never mind that. That was another learning experience.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 06-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Either a cut off wheel or a die grinder with a small cut off wheel.
Cut on diagonal and do not cut all the way. Then with a chisel, you can split the race. This is sometimes the only way I can get some of these races off the carrier.
Cutting on the diagonal is the key. If yo cut straight across the race you can nick the carrier. I usually can gauge when I am almost through for the chisel to work. If you leave too much of the thickest part of the race, the chisel will not work. I am sure some others have some good tricks to tell.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Rising Sun member

I agree with Robbie. I did it on my power steering pump pulley. Be careful and patient and it'll work good. I don't know if you'll have to split the race completely; I split it just enough to loosen it up so it would slide off. 'specially with heat I'm sure you could get something to work. That's a thought though - could you heat it and make it expand and slide it off? Or is the fit too tight for that?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD