Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default FJ60 Rear Brakes Advice

Hello All,

So this weekend notices a grinding noise coming from the right rear while we are exploring the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness area so i took the rear drum off..

and it has a broken spring laying in the bottom of the drum. God only knows how long it's been like this..

Anyways, I built the rear axle with all NAPA parts about 30-40k miles ago and am wondering if it is just stupid to do it again. NAPA can get the shoes and Spring kits for me tomorrow, and I hesitate to think I can get OEM that fast. I've never shyed away from NAPA stuff in the past, but take a look at these shoes.. they are all cracked up.

What do you think? Get NAPA again and call it a day? Only stick with toyota and possibly wait? leave the shoes as they are and buy new springs and forget about it...

I want to go wheel wed. so I want to fix it tomorrow night.

-Marco
Attached Images

82 FJ40
Old 06-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'd go with a NAPA spring and leave the shoes. If you have further problems, replace them then. On my 60s, the rear brakes needed nothing except the occasional un-sticking of the parking brake cable levers.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 06-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Did you talk to your local Napa guys and ask what was going on?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

yeah, you know they are bonded shoes.. so they'll be fine i guess.

I'll cheap it out and just get NAPA springs and call it a day.

haven't showed them to NAPA yet, maybe i'll run up there with them tomorrow and see if they'll just swap them out under warranty.
82 FJ40
Old 06-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Administrator

I had a set of rear 60 shoes completely grenade on me once, they were napa shoes that were only in for about 6 months. however on one of those days i drove baja style down a dirt road with parking brake on and didn't notice until i saw smoke coming out of the rear drums when i stopped, so i can't say the napa shoes were really at fault. needless to say there was a very healthy v8 in that truck. you can imagine what happens to that whole assembly when brake shoes grenade in there when driving, i'd replace 'em.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

well, it was my own fault.

so the parking brake lever was pulled way out and jammed. I think it had everything moved around enough that it broke that spring and the cracked shoe might have been because it got hot when the parking brake stuck.

It was all messed up a while ago when I replaced the e-brake cable and I thought it was just the old cable causing everything to stick.. but that e brake lever in the drum was sticking in the engaged position too. Anyways, I bet it wore those shoes out enough that the ebrake lever kept pulling out farther and farther untill it jammed. It kind-of acted like an adjuster itself.

anyways, spring kit $30 from NAPA, and they swapped my shoes for free under warranty. so she's fresh and ready to go again. no more double pumping the pedal, and it actually stops nice again.

And the e brake works.

I guess I should actually check that stuff more often than once every few years.
82 FJ40