Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 06-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default NMO Trunk Lid Mounts

What are you running? Did it come with a section of skinny cable to sneak through the gap between the trunk and the body?

HRO had a diamond mount that came with a cable but it was $75.. I was wondering if there was a more cost effective option..

I searched a bit in the forum bu only foun PN's for what Root was running and it dosen't look like What i need.

Hulk, which mount do you have?
82 FJ40
Old 06-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
What are you running? Did it come with a section of skinny cable to sneak through the gap between the trunk and the body?

HRO had a diamond mount that came with a cable but it was $75.. I was wondering if there was a more cost effective option..

I searched a bit in the forum bu only foun PN's for what Root was running and it dosen't look like What i need.

Marco,

I can help you terminate any cable you have. Adding connectors just adds loss (resistance). What cable do you have and what connector do you need on the end?

--Jeff
Old 06-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Marco,

I think Matt, Romer, and myself are all running the same/similar mounts...There is probably a thread in this section with pics but for ideas check:

NMO Mounts

I have the K400CNMO mount and it has the thin RG316 coax (6.5') that runs inside. You can get mounts with longer coax leads and different connectors to suit your needs. I went with this mount and then an extension of the RG316 coax to the front to connect up to my HT. It works well but of course range is limited due to the 5W max output of my HT. But, I can also use the mount with a real mobile rig when the time comes and hopefully I won't get too much loss with the connector change.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

well, so right now I have the Antenna building party antenna mounted on the front fender.

The cable coming from it is one of the fatter ones and it has to squeeze a bit to get through the hood/fender gap.

So... I wanted to do two things. I want to move the antenna to the right rear trunk lid to try and get it up a little higher, and go to an NMO mounting style so I can swap between what Matt has and a smaller one. I don't like staring at it right in front of me and it gets bent up on the trail.

I figure I can let somebody else have that one and get the really flexy whip Matt got and not fret if it bends or breaks... maybe even run a shorter one in tighter spots.

also, having the splitter for the CB and FM/AM radio isn't working so well, so I think I want to go back to a dedicated CB antenna and put it where my HAM antenna is now on the front left fender with another NMO mount so I can leave it off most of the time.

So.... I was looking for a rear trunk mount that had that skinny cable so I could not have the thick cable squishing problem in the rear. But th eskinny cable that they come with is only 6'. The K400CNMO mounti that Jeff posted is the one I was looking at at HRO, and it seems like the best option. I may just run down there today and get it.

Can a longer section of skinny cable be wired directly to it to avoid the connection from the 6' to a longer cable half way? I guess I can cover that with the HRO dudes.

I was just amking sure that mount was the best option for the $$ before I went and got it and it sounds like it may be.
82 FJ40
Old 06-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Marco the lip mounts are going to be independent of the cable connector in most cases. My rear hatch mount is the Comet RS-730, and I think several guys here have the same one.

But my antenna connection is not NMO, it's the smaller one (SO-239) that fits all the Comet antennas.. it is super long at 16' 6", and the last 18" of it is the mini RG-188A/U type coax. Part number CK-3M5 (yes I have a AES catalog in front of me)

I would think they'd have the same cable but with NMO on the end, however when I was down at HRO a few weeks ago they didn't and that's why I ended up with NMO and the exact same big cable poking through the hood situation. I'll be making a similar move in the near future..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Looks like the CP-5NMO is similar to what Nakman has but is a NMO mount.

Here is the description:

COMET Heavy-Duty Lip Mount (RS-730) w/ 16'9" of Cable Includes 18" of Mini RG-188 Teflon Coax Easy Entry to Mount, 3 Adjustments, Supports 70" Antennas. NMO / PL-259

That seems to fit what you are looking for if the 16'9" of total cable length is enough to reach where your rig is mounted...
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 06-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

OK, so I ended up getting the K400CNMO mount and a larsen 5/8 wave whip and sticking it on the back left corner of the tail gate.... I really like the way it all fit on the truck. The HRO stuff is MUCH nicer than the radio shack stuff i had it all together with before. connectors are nicer, cables are nicer.. mounts are nicer. It just looks like a professional setup now.

I have noticed an improvement in receive quality already while listening. Seems to be much clearer with the truck running, before I was getting interfearance.

I basically did just what you have Jeff.

Thanks for all the input!!
Attached Images

82 FJ40

Last edited by rover67; 06-17-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

- looks very nice

Is that antenna "tuneable"?
TLCA #17037

:

Old 06-18-2009, 07:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks! Pretty simple now that I look back..

yes, it's that Larsen 5/8 wave 2 meter one that Matt bought. I just took some dikes and cut it to legnth for 146..
82 FJ40
Old 06-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
I think mine is the $64.95 Diamond mount at HamCity. I'll have to look, but I think that is the one. I did buy it at HRO (which is where I have purchased almost all my stuff -- gotta support our local retailer). They said the wider heavy-duty mount was a better option than the narrower base medium duty version
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.