Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Club Treasurer

Default Tire Life Report

The other day I noticed the tires on my wife's 4Runner were getting a little thin. They are BFG AT KOs 235/85-16s on her stock 2000 4Runner. I checked the mileage since we put them on ...

She's getting a new set this afternoon.

I gotta say these tires gave us great bang for the buck. Stock size 265/70-16s are $245 each at Discount Tire. These 235s are only $166. Long live pizza cutters! Literally.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
90 Honda XR600R
Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 AM

That's pretty awesome. I had a set of BFG AT KOs in 235/75/15 on my XJ long ago, and I think they had about 60k when I got rid of them. The crazy thing was I traded them in on some Mickey Thompson Baja Claws and the tire shop gave me $100 credit for the BFGs because they had enough tread to sell them as used tires! LOL
Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGoat View Post

She's getting a new set this afternoon.
I bet if you just got her that 100, they'd throw in some new BFG's

I've been happy with mine. They don't look as cool as mud tires, but they ride fine, take me where I need to go and seem to be wearing well. They were pretty good in the snow last year, but maybe not as good as my GY's.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 12-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Rising Sun member

I don't know if you want to turn this into a tire thread, but I think I'm done with my BFG A/Ts. They get louder as they wear, and I think the rubber compound gets harder as they wear so those last few thousandths take forever to go away. Hence you're riding forever on harder compound that doesn't grip as well.

I've also noticed in the winter that if you get into a sideways slide they will not correct the slide. I feel more stable in my FJ40 with a rear lockright and my Goodyear MT/Rs because as soon as I let off the gas with the FJ40 the sideways sliding stops and I go forward again. Not so with the BFGs.

Not sure what I'm going to go with on the next go-round, don't really need aggressive tires for the Tundra. I think I'm going Goodyear though.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

I dunno Matt, I'm not sure that is quite comparable. I wonder if power has something to do with it.

I base that on my two 4runners. In my old 87 (which did have the BFG's) it performed exactly as you describe for your 40. It would start to slip a bit, and I'd let off, and it was very easy to correct. In my 99, it kicks out and doesn't come back around, and that was with a set of nearly new yokohamas. Now, I haven't tried my MTR's

What I started to notice was that the gutless 22re was not able to kick out as fast, so I noticed it way before it got bad, where as the SC'd 3.4 is able to kick the rear end around much faster and by the time I react, there is more movement, and it doesn't come back around as nicely.

Both trucks have a very similar wheelbase, though the tire sizes were different.

That said, I agree with Matt that they seem to lose a lot of their grip as they wear down, and I haven't been running the BFG's on the new truck. I have read encouraging things on line about the duratracs. The MT/R's (new ones) are nice, but they are a bit loud and they are pricey. I may try a set of duratracs next go around just to compare.

Also, if we are turning this into a tire thread (sorry OP), for others, something to keep in mind is that aspect has a lot to do with it as well.

I had 33x12.50 BFG AT's on my runner (old), and that thing would lose grip on rainy wet roads. I switched to a 33 9.5 in the same tire, and it would hold the road really well in both wet and icy conditions.

Just food for thought.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

It think the weight of the truck plays a large role in tire life. I went through a set of BFG AT KOs on the 60 in 25k-30k miles. I went through a set of Cooper STTs on the 80 in 25k miles. I now have a fresh set of Duratraks that are great so far (1000 miles.)

All tires harden with age, some more so than others.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 12-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Club Treasurer

It's funny you guys mention the BFG automatic hardening feature. My wife just called me after getting the new tires mounted. Her exact words were, "It feels like my truck is stuck to the road. And the brakes work awesome. It's like I got a brake job, too!"

She thought she needed brakes because the tires were so hard that the ABS would engage on a hard stop on dry pavement.

She's ready for winter now, though. Bring on the snow! (After Saturday's Gulches run, of course.)

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
90 Honda XR600R
Old 12-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

I don't know if it's the compound is harder at the base of the tread or the rubber just hardens over time, but I notice this phenomenon, too. I'm a fan of the BFG A/T, but I think my next set will be Yokohama Geolander A/T-S. Crash has spoken highly of them in the past and now that I'm back on 30x9.5-15 I can actually get them.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 12-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGoat View Post
It's funny you guys mention the BFG automatic hardening feature. My wife just called me after getting the new tires mounted. Her exact words were, "It feels like my truck is stuck to the road. And the brakes work awesome. It's like I got a brake job, too!"
lol
TLCA#4180
Old 12-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

I dont think it was the tires. its that new car smell sensation. lmao I remember when i got new tires for the truck. it was boring. no more swinging around corners. hehe
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
02 1500HD
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....