Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default 8274 in portable winch cradle?

I have seen many planetary gear winches put in cradles to make a portable winch.

An 8274 came with my 1980 FJ40 project, and wondered if it's practical to put that size/weight of winch in a cradle. What say ye? My winch has the standard (?) 5/16" cable - presumably 100' or so. I've never seen an 8274 in a cradle, but I presume you could modify/fab a cradle design to work with it. If the result is a 160 lb anchor, then that's not very practical.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 02-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Can you mount an M8274 feet down? I didn't think you could but wouldn't you need to in order to mount it in a cradle (as least the type I'm thinking of)?

Edit: looking at it again I guess you could modify a cradle to work but it would have to mount feet forward...

As for the cable...standard from Warn is 150' of 5/16" wire rope. Weight with cable is listed at 110lbs...with sythetic it would be a lot less, but that is still a chunk depending on the weight of the cradle to move around

M8274
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

I figure removing this winch from my truck will be something like a 1" lift kit right there ;-)

Thanks for the weight figure and the idea of using synthetic rope.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

These things are HEAVY! I bet you'd blow an o-ring just huffing the thing around!

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Lifted

I'll try to put my 9.5xp (with Amsteel blue) on the scale here soon. With the Warn MultiMount it is a pain to move at times. Hauling the 70ish pounds from one end of the truck to the other, over uneven terrain can risk injury to the back. That M8274 sounds heavier then my winch, then add weight for the extra plate needed for the face mounting of that winch. I think the ability to remove the winch when not in use or winch from the rear position is worth it. Expect to spend over $100 on electrical welding cable to run it from the rear.

As long as you scream "beefcake" while moving it you should be ok.
94 pickup in a pile of parts
Old 02-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Hi Steve,

I wouldn't do it. My 8274 is one heavy SOB, even after I went synth. Add the plate (as others have mentioned) and you have an accident waiting to happen.

Whilst pondering the advantages of having a winch on the rear (in addition to the front) with the cost savings of only having one winch, a thought occurred to me years ago. There ought to be a way to mount a pulley or some such that the front-mounted winch's cable pulled from the rear. Obviously, if you're in snow or gumbo up to your axles that would be a non-starter if the cable had to route underneath though.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 02-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Whilst pondering the advantages of having a winch on the rear (in addition to the front) with the cost savings of only having one winch, a thought occurred to me years ago. There ought to be a way to mount a pulley or some such that the front-mounted winch's cable pulled from the rear. Obviously, if you're in snow or gumbo up to your axles that would be a non-starter if the cable had to route underneath though.
Here you go

TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

Still off original topic but search under Foers Winch for system to allow single winch to pull forward and backward. I could not find a good diagram quickly but essentially you mount the winch centrally on the vehicle. Run the rope out one end of the vehicle then back through the vehicle inside a frame rail. Protect the rope on all bends and have a secure attachment point at the end of the frame rail.

Now you can pull both directions without having to relocate the winch. One direction will always be doubled. Wish I could find a pic/diagram online...

edit: these diagrams sucks but hope you get the idea. Can't find the one I saw years ago...
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Here you go

Kinda sorta what I had thought of, but way too many moving parts. My thinking was something that only required an anchor at the rear, but yeah, with 3 snatch blocks and an anchor in the front that works too.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Still off original topic but search under Foers Winch for system to allow single winch to pull forward and backward. I could not find a good diagram quickly but essentially you mount the winch centrally on the vehicle. Run the rope out one end of the vehicle then back through the vehicle inside a frame rail. Protect the rope on all bends and have a secure attachment point at the end of the frame rail.

Now you can pull both directions without having to relocate the winch. One direction will always be doubled. Wish I could find a pic/diagram online...

edit: these diagrams sucks but hope you get the idea. Can't find the one I saw years ago...
But - this requires (I presume) access under the vehicle, which was the huge weak part of my original thought. That is, if you are up to your axles (or worse) in snow or gumbo you don't have access to the underside.

Prolly the best thing is to not venture into said deep snow or deep gumbo without a buddy