Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area > BHCC 2011 Planning

Old 06-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Lightbulb Things to do in South Dakota before BHCC

We're making a full week out of the Black Hills Cruiser Classic. I'm bringing my wife and kids, and we want to do some fun vacation things before we show up to the BHCC. I'm hoping to hit the road on Friday night, July 10 or Saturday, July 11, so we'll have 3-4 days to have fun prior to the big wheelin' event.

What are some things we should do in South Dakota? The only thing on my list is Mt. Rushmore.

Also, any recommendations as to where to stay would be appreciated as well!
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Devils Tower NP is cool to see

Badlands NP

Crazy horse memorial

Deadwood

sturgis
TLCA#4180
Old 06-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Custer State Park is a great escape from the crowds at Mt Rushmore and Rapid City - nice place for a hike, picnic, drive, etc.

Evan's Plunge is on the way to Rapid City if your kids like to swim. It's nothing special, but I liked the fact that it seemed to be frozen in time - sort of a relic from many decades ago.

There's a boatload of touristy things in Rapid City, including various reptile parks and a drive through animal sanctuary (buffalo, mountain goats, big cats, etc.) that my kids enjoyed.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Custer State Park is a great escape from the crowds at Mt Rushmore and Rapid City - nice place for a hike, picnic, drive, etc.

Evan's Plunge is on the way to Rapid City if your kids like to swim. It's nothing special, but I liked the fact that it seemed to be frozen in time - sort of a relic from many decades ago.

There's a boatload of touristy things in Rapid City, including various reptile parks and a drive through animal sanctuary (buffalo, mountain goats, big cats, etc.) that my kids enjoyed.
Evans Plunge in Hot Springs, SD is an awesome pool! We never miss it when we head up there. The two indoor water slides and the one indoor/outdoor slides are great and the rope swings are always a hit too!

Reptile Gardens is cool to visit once maybe twice in your life. Bear Country Safari is a blast for all ages! We were disappointed last time though as they changed the baby bear area so you are not nearly as face to face as you used to be. There are many tourist venues in the Black Hills that are not worth the money. Caves are on example. There are tones of them everywhere! We have been to a lot of them over the years and our favorites are Wind Cave, Crystal Cave, Rushmore Cave and Jewel Cave. Jewel is out of the way but worth seeing but make reservations as the tours fill up for the whole day early. Borglum Historical Center in Keystone is also an awesome time kill and you will learn more about Mount Rushmore there than any other site!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Rock Stacker

The waterfalls in Spearfish Canyon, Ellsworth A.F.B. the wild life loop in Custer S.P. our kids enjoyed these and it was inexpensive.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Honorary Canuck Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbluefj

Just a hint it's my B-DAY before the event and i'm leaving here on friday the 10th so i'm hoping to be there late fri early sat to see some site's my self and do something different on my birthday this year..
Old 06-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluefj View Post
Just a hint it's my B-DAY before the event and i'm leaving here on friday the 10th so i'm hoping to be there late fri early sat to see some site's my self and do something different on my birthday this year..
You wont be disappointed! Take your Nephew again! My kids have always been in awe about the Black Hills just as I was/am!

Another absolutely must do thing is the needles highway!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

I think I have the perfect thing for at least you and Charlie. And, in typical Nathaniel stylee, guess what it is? Could it be a HAM radio geeks museum? A choo-choo? The worlds largest ball of twine?

Keepin ya guessing...
Old 06-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

You guys are great! Keep it coming!

Kevin, do you want to coordinate schedules? You can come check out some of the tourist sites (and sights) with the Farr family.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Honorary Canuck Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbluefj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
You guys are great! Keep it coming!

Kevin, do you want to coordinate schedules? You can come check out some of the tourist sites (and sights) with the Farr family.
That would be great i'll give you a call and see what we could put together, as for my nephew he's a working man now plus he's taller than i'am now 14 year's old now..

Kevin