Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 06-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Red_Chili's Avatar
Red_Chili Red_Chili is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Littleton CO
Posts: 8,409
Default

I think you're gonna wanna stiffen up the tcase crossmember. Like, with a vertical member welded 90*, same gauge or something. Unless your belly pan will be structural and bolted to it.

Lower arms on top of the axle, along with the upper arm just higher... interesting!

I've got some 3" ID HREW cut in half to wrap the axle housing right at the brackets, if you need to beef the bracket mounting locations at all.
__________________
-Bill Morgan
Heb Dduw, heb ddim; Duw a digon
Abnormally aspirated
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-26-2009, 09:46 AM
nakman's Avatar
nakman nakman is offline
Rising Sun Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: north side
Posts: 9,791
Default

Sorry if this was covered and I missed it, but do those control arms hit the shocks at all? Seems really close in the pics, but hard to tell.


But very impressive work! just amazing..
__________________
99 uzj100, 05 525EXC

www.gamiviti.com

Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-26-2009, 09:52 AM
AxleIke's Avatar
AxleIke AxleIke is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arvada, CO
Posts: 3,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I think you're gonna wanna stiffen up the tcase crossmember. Like, with a vertical member welded 90*, same gauge or something. Unless your belly pan will be structural and bolted to it.

Lower arms on top of the axle, along with the upper arm just higher... interesting!

I've got some 3" ID HREW cut in half to wrap the axle housing right at the brackets, if you need to beef the bracket mounting locations at all.
The same thought has crossed my mind on the tcase xmember. I'll probably accomplish the stiffening by welding tented angle along the length.

If I see weakness at the brackets, I'll definitely hit you up for that 3" tube. Sounds nice!

The lowers are about at the centerline of the axle, so not quite on top. 8" of separation between the uppers and lowers is good for the axle end.
__________________
Isaac

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-26-2009, 09:53 AM
AxleIke's Avatar
AxleIke AxleIke is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arvada, CO
Posts: 3,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Sorry if this was covered and I missed it, but do those control arms hit the shocks at all? Seems really close in the pics, but hard to tell.


But very impressive work! just amazing..
Thanks!

Nope, the shocks don't hit. They get to about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch away.
__________________
Isaac

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Red_Chili's Avatar
Red_Chili Red_Chili is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Littleton CO
Posts: 8,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
The same thought has crossed my mind on the tcase xmember. I'll probably accomplish the stiffening by welding tented angle along the length.
I would think that would work.

Quote:
If I see weakness at the brackets, I'll definitely hit you up for that 3" tube. Sounds nice!
Yeah, I was rebuilding a Taco elocker axle housing. The spring perches are pretty notorious for collapsing into the housing itself, from axle wrap, and these were no exception. So I came up with the idea of thicker tube that would be just inside the U bolts, but wrap the axle and carry the force and dissipate it over a larger area. Should be hell for stout.

Keep an eye out for dimpling where your brackets mate with the axle housing, and if it starts the thicker HREW should make it mondo beefy. The only downside is, *careful* stitch welding is mandatory or you will warp your axle housing for sure.

Quote:
The lowers are about at the centerline of the axle, so not quite on top. 8" of separation between the uppers and lowers is good for the axle end.
You'll hafta learn me some of that control arm stuff. Sometimes it seems like it should be simple, sometimes it seems like dark arts.
__________________
-Bill Morgan
Heb Dduw, heb ddim; Duw a digon
Abnormally aspirated
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Red_Chili's Avatar
Red_Chili Red_Chili is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Littleton CO
Posts: 8,409
Default

By the way... Mike Caskey is the only person I've personally seen who does pretty welding upside-down. I have to stitch weld or it comes out looking like glop.
__________________
-Bill Morgan
Heb Dduw, heb ddim; Duw a digon
Abnormally aspirated
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-26-2009, 11:10 AM
AxleIke's Avatar
AxleIke AxleIke is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arvada, CO
Posts: 3,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I would think that would work.

Yeah, I was rebuilding a Taco elocker axle housing. The spring perches are pretty notorious for collapsing into the housing itself, from axle wrap, and these were no exception. So I came up with the idea of thicker tube that would be just inside the U bolts, but wrap the axle and carry the force and dissipate it over a larger area. Should be hell for stout.

Keep an eye out for dimpling where your brackets mate with the axle housing, and if it starts the thicker HREW should make it mondo beefy. The only downside is, *careful* stitch welding is mandatory or you will warp your axle housing for sure.

You'll hafta learn me some of that control arm stuff. Sometimes it seems like it should be simple, sometimes it seems like dark arts.
I may just pick up a section of the 3" from you, put it on at some point, for preventative measures. Whats the cost per foot?

As for link stuff, its kinda voodoo at first, but its not too bad. The key is that, you can engineer it till the cows come home, but in the end, there are a few basic rules to follow, and the rest is dictated by the body/frame/axle to frame clearance.

If you are building a tube buggy, you can build it picture perfect by the book. If you have a body, you work within acceptable ranges.
__________________
Isaac

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-26-2009, 11:11 AM
AxleIke's Avatar
AxleIke AxleIke is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arvada, CO
Posts: 3,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
By the way... Mike Caskey is the only person I've personally seen who does pretty welding upside-down. I have to stitch weld or it comes out looking like glop.
Yup. Me too. Can't make it look super pretty. Strong, but its definitely stitched.
__________________
Isaac

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Rezarf's Avatar
Rezarf Rezarf is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 3,899
Default

AWWWW SNAP!

Isaac! What a killer project, I didn't realize you were going to cut and paste a new rear suspension out back... I kept thinking in my head it was all tin work around the tranny tunnel.

It turned out GREAT man, your fab skills have increased dramitcally with this one bud.

I do have one question though, does one of those gazillion levers but the top down in the rear automatically?

Kidding, hold your head up high you should be proud!

Drew
__________________
Rezarf <><
My rig... "Maude"
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks.

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-26-2009, 11:42 AM
AxleIke's Avatar
AxleIke AxleIke is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arvada, CO
Posts: 3,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
AWWWW SNAP!

Isaac! What a killer project, I didn't realize you were going to cut and paste a new rear suspension out back... I kept thinking in my head it was all tin work around the tranny tunnel.

It turned out GREAT man, your fab skills have increased dramitcally with this one bud.

I do have one question though, does one of those gazillion levers but the top down in the rear automatically?

Kidding, hold your head up high you should be proud!

Drew
Thanks man!!!

No, the top is unfortunately staying on for now. No $$$ for a soft top right now. But hopefully sometime in the next year or so. We'll see. I need tires first.
__________________
Isaac

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.