Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

I think you're gonna wanna stiffen up the tcase crossmember. Like, with a vertical member welded 90*, same gauge or something. Unless your belly pan will be structural and bolted to it.

Lower arms on top of the axle, along with the upper arm just higher... interesting!

I've got some 3" ID HREW cut in half to wrap the axle housing right at the brackets, if you need to beef the bracket mounting locations at all.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Sorry if this was covered and I missed it, but do those control arms hit the shocks at all? Seems really close in the pics, but hard to tell.

But very impressive work! just amazing..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I think you're gonna wanna stiffen up the tcase crossmember. Like, with a vertical member welded 90*, same gauge or something. Unless your belly pan will be structural and bolted to it.

Lower arms on top of the axle, along with the upper arm just higher... interesting!

I've got some 3" ID HREW cut in half to wrap the axle housing right at the brackets, if you need to beef the bracket mounting locations at all.
The same thought has crossed my mind on the tcase xmember. I'll probably accomplish the stiffening by welding tented angle along the length.

If I see weakness at the brackets, I'll definitely hit you up for that 3" tube. Sounds nice!

The lowers are about at the centerline of the axle, so not quite on top. 8" of separation between the uppers and lowers is good for the axle end.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 06-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Sorry if this was covered and I missed it, but do those control arms hit the shocks at all? Seems really close in the pics, but hard to tell.

But very impressive work! just amazing..
Thanks!

Nope, the shocks don't hit. They get to about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch away.

Generation Dead
Old 06-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
The same thought has crossed my mind on the tcase xmember. I'll probably accomplish the stiffening by welding tented angle along the length.
I would think that would work.

Quote:
If I see weakness at the brackets, I'll definitely hit you up for that 3" tube. Sounds nice!
Yeah, I was rebuilding a Taco elocker axle housing. The spring perches are pretty notorious for collapsing into the housing itself, from axle wrap, and these were no exception. So I came up with the idea of thicker tube that would be just inside the U bolts, but wrap the axle and carry the force and dissipate it over a larger area. Should be hell for stout.

Keep an eye out for dimpling where your brackets mate with the axle housing, and if it starts the thicker HREW should make it mondo beefy. The only downside is, *careful* stitch welding is mandatory or you will warp your axle housing for sure.

Quote:
The lowers are about at the centerline of the axle, so not quite on top. 8" of separation between the uppers and lowers is good for the axle end.
You'll hafta learn me some of that control arm stuff. Sometimes it seems like it should be simple, sometimes it seems like dark arts.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

By the way... Mike Caskey is the only person I've personally seen who does pretty welding upside-down. I have to stitch weld or it comes out looking like glop.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 06-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I would think that would work.

Yeah, I was rebuilding a Taco elocker axle housing. The spring perches are pretty notorious for collapsing into the housing itself, from axle wrap, and these were no exception. So I came up with the idea of thicker tube that would be just inside the U bolts, but wrap the axle and carry the force and dissipate it over a larger area. Should be hell for stout.

Keep an eye out for dimpling where your brackets mate with the axle housing, and if it starts the thicker HREW should make it mondo beefy. The only downside is, *careful* stitch welding is mandatory or you will warp your axle housing for sure.

You'll hafta learn me some of that control arm stuff. Sometimes it seems like it should be simple, sometimes it seems like dark arts.
I may just pick up a section of the 3" from you, put it on at some point, for preventative measures. Whats the cost per foot?

As for link stuff, its kinda voodoo at first, but its not too bad. The key is that, you can engineer it till the cows come home, but in the end, there are a few basic rules to follow, and the rest is dictated by the body/frame/axle to frame clearance.

If you are building a tube buggy, you can build it picture perfect by the book. If you have a body, you work within acceptable ranges.

Generation Dead
Old 06-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
By the way... Mike Caskey is the only person I've personally seen who does pretty welding upside-down. I have to stitch weld or it comes out looking like glop.
Yup. Me too. Can't make it look super pretty. Strong, but its definitely stitched.

Generation Dead
Old 06-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

AWWWW SNAP!

Isaac! What a killer project, I didn't realize you were going to cut and paste a new rear suspension out back... I kept thinking in my head it was all tin work around the tranny tunnel.

It turned out GREAT man, your fab skills have increased dramitcally with this one bud.

I do have one question though, does one of those gazillion levers but the top down in the rear automatically?

Kidding, hold your head up high you should be proud!

Drew

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 06-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
AWWWW SNAP!

Isaac! What a killer project, I didn't realize you were going to cut and paste a new rear suspension out back... I kept thinking in my head it was all tin work around the tranny tunnel.

It turned out GREAT man, your fab skills have increased dramitcally with this one bud.

I do have one question though, does one of those gazillion levers but the top down in the rear automatically?

Kidding, hold your head up high you should be proud!

Drew
Thanks man!!!

No, the top is unfortunately staying on for now. No $$$ for a soft top right now. But hopefully sometime in the next year or so. We'll see. I need tires first.

Generation Dead