Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

New irritating issue

My new interior is great and all, and I love the carpet, gives everything a finished look.

However, the smell is starting to really bug me. It STILL smells like carpet glue/new carpet after like 2 months. I've been letting it sit with the windows open as much as possible, and usually drive with the windows down.

Any suggestions on a deoderizor?

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 08-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Any suggestions on a deoderizor?
Febreeze? I saw on TV where it works for that teenager's room so it should be able to handle your carpet
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

Obviously it's still outgassing, probably the fire retardant they used. That stuff is nasty.

Never had the issue of new car plastic outgassing like that, our 4Runner was almost 3 years old when we got it. And my truck, yeah. Of course the Tuffy arm rest did outgas for a while I think. :-)

I would personally encourage the outgassing rather than cover it up with shampoo or something. It's still there and you're still breathing it in, even if it doesn't smell as much.

Probably be thinking along the lines of keeping the windows almost totally up in the sun to get the inside really hot and then run an air filter with some sort of carbon filter. Probably a fan to keep the air from settling inside.

My thinking would along the lines of rigging up something like this filter:

With a couple of these carbon pre-filters:

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 08-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Rising Sun Commander

vomit, wet dogs, beer, fishing.. just some of the many ways to alter vehicle carpet smell. Let me know if you need more!!

And nice fab work, again!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Febreeze? I saw on TV where it works for that teenager's room so it should be able to handle your carpet
FWIW, I use Febreeze on WilderNest fabrics that have a musty smell, usually from mold that gets started in the fabric when they are folded up wet and not dried out. The fabric itself can stink, but mostly it's the foam in the mattress and the fabric of the mattress cover, curtains, etc. Washing that stuff works OK but Febreeze and Lysol work much, much better to make the stink go away permanently.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 08-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Not a bad idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Obviously it's still outgassing, probably the fire retardant they used. That stuff is nasty.

Never had the issue of new car plastic outgassing like that, our 4Runner was almost 3 years old when we got it. And my truck, yeah. Of course the Tuffy arm rest did outgas for a while I think. :-)

I would personally encourage the outgassing rather than cover it up with shampoo or something. It's still there and you're still breathing it in, even if it doesn't smell as much.

Probably be thinking along the lines of keeping the windows almost totally up in the sun to get the inside really hot and then run an air filter with some sort of carbon filter. Probably a fan to keep the air from settling inside.

My thinking would along the lines of rigging up something like this filter:

With a couple of these carbon pre-filters:

I thought about an idea like this briefly...The issue is, I don't have any of that stuff, and, since my whole interior cost me about 70 bucks, including lumber, I'm not going to spend a boat load on a filtration system.

If I can get my hands on something borrowed or for free, I'll go for it, but I'm not looking to spend big bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
vomit, wet dogs, beer, fishing.. just some of the many ways to alter vehicle carpet smell. Let me know if you need more!!

And nice fab work, again!
Thank you sir! And excellent suggestions!

I'll have to try the beer/fishing...Hope to avoid the vomit/wet dog smell..Those don't seem pleasant!

Generation Dead
Old 08-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Forgot to add that the next fab installation will be to move the lower link mounts down on the axle tube. They are currently sitting above the centerline, which adds considerable pressure to the upper link. They used to be just slightly below the centerline, but, when I rotated the axle upward to get my pinion set properly, they moved up too high.

Moving them down should give a slightly better ride too, although it will shoot my anti-squat numbers, so I'll have to re-calculate everything and move the upper accordingly. Good thing its adjustable!

And, since I can take them off easy breezy now, why not?

Generation Dead
Old 08-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
I thought about an idea like this briefly...The issue is, I don't have any of that stuff, and, since my whole interior cost me about 70 bucks, including lumber, I'm not going to spend a boat load on a filtration system.
Yeah, I dig that. You'll not be surprised to hear that I don't have any of that stuff to lend out...

OTOH, maybe rent a carpet steamer and give it a good cleaning? Might just be that simple and usually the most obvious answer is the right one.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Not a bad idea!

I'll have to try the beer/fishing...Hope to avoid the vomit/wet dog smell..Those don't seem pleasant!
Just avoid taking Natalie on any shelf road/big rock trails and you should be OK!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Yeah, I dig that. You'll not be surprised to hear that I don't have any of that stuff to lend out...

OTOH, maybe rent a carpet steamer and give it a good cleaning? Might just be that simple and usually the most obvious answer is the right one.
I think that might be the ticket for the first go around! If that doesn't work, I can start looking into more drastic measures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Just avoid taking Natalie on any shelf road/big rock trails and you should be OK!
BTDT, Lesson learned. She either gets out now, or just doesn't go! LOL

Generation Dead