Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Default How far back should I move my axle?

My back tires rub when the tire stuffs. I still need to clearance the bottom of the flares, but it's hitting pretty much the whole inner fender well, makes a horrendous noise particularly when it's really stuffed in there

According to world renown expedition expert, great guy, and family friend Scott Brady, I need to create a "lift block" that repositions my axle. His site says...
Quote:
For rear tire fitment the most critical adjustment is to center the axle in the wheelwell. This can be accomplished by replacing the springs with an engineered solution like Deaver, or use a .5" lift block with repositioned pin location.
After centering the axle, the fenders need to be trimmed along the wear marks and the hex bolts replaced with the fender washers and screws.
The tires still rub slightly under full compression, but have not caused any damage.
http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...bfg_mt_km.html

So my lift block will have a hole in it that allows the spring pin to rest inside, then it will have a pin that will poke down into the spring perch, and the distance between the hole and the pin is how far my axle moves. Simple enough, right? here's a drawing of the lift block:
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Rising Sun Commander

So the question is, what should that distance be? I'm thinking .750", which is what I drew above. here's a picture:
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

All the way behind the bumper. Just think of the trails you can do with a super long wheel base, brutha!
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

You're starting down the mini truck path, so get to know our tools and techniques.
  1. Do nothing. It'll self clearance.
  2. Do a little more. Go 'wheeling and use hammer (I prefer the 3 lb Eastwing drilling hammer, YMMV) to smash sheet metal that has rubber on it
    Attachment 13260
  3. Be preventative. Use Sawz-All to make wheel wells bigger.
    Attachment 13259

Or I suppose you could be all nerdy and do it your way. Incidentally, if you look at the front edges of my back wheel wells, they are clearanced using method #1 with a little of #2. My front fenders are clearanced using method #2 just about exclusively.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 08-26-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

Just to show the way it happens, the rears getting some additional clearance put into them. In my case the wheels are close to the rear lip and so either the front or the rear needed a little more space. So yeah, totally ghetto, but I let the tires tell me where I needed to cut and bend... BTW, the plastic flare (on mine it was just a little plastic rock guard) can be removed and that'll give you a bit more space, too.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I already did #2 Dave to my front wheel wells, I cut the inner fender then mashed over a pinch weld, so no more rubbing there. I can nick the front bumper occasionally, but I'm not going to worry about that one as I'll eventually get a different front bumper.

Matt this long wheelbase is noticeable- feels like a school bus when going around switchbacks, and pretty humbling when you know the 80 would have done it in one shot, and you're backing up for another line. But you do have a good idea, if only I had a parts 80 sitting outside with some free full floaters...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

I've been running the self-clearancing method for some time, but eventually you end up mutilating your expensive tires (if sheet metal is involved)...

I have the same problem as you Tim, and it's worse on the driver's side for me. I think if I had an extra 1/4" to 1/2" clearance toward the back of the truck I'd be fine. Does someone make those plates for re-centering the spring pin?

Another option would be extending your bumpstops a bit to keep the tire out of the fender.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I have the same problem as you Tim, and it's worse on the driver's side for me. I think if I had an extra 1/4" to 1/2" clearance toward the back of the truck I'd be fine. Does someone make those plates for re-centering the spring pin?

Another option would be extending your bumpstops a bit to keep the tire out of the fender.
You bloddy gol dang right someone makes those... do you know the OD of the spring pin off-hand? That's the only dimension that's holding us up from producing these, just need to know what size hole to put in there, and what size pin. But you're in for a set!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

Hey Tim,

How are you liking those tires?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 06-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I used option #3 to fix mine.........

And yes, 4+ sells those relocation plates pre-made. I'm not sure if they come in different sizes though.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang