Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default FZJ80 New Windshield ??

I was researching putting a new windshield in my 80 the other day. The choices are blue tint with blue shading or gold tint with gold shading. I have the blue now. Does anyone have the gold? Just curious what it looked like.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
I was researching putting a new windshield in my 80 the other day. The choices are blue tint with blue shading or gold tint with gold shading. I have the blue now. Does anyone have the gold? Just curious what it looked like.
I have the amber tint on my front windshield. When I had it replaced a few years ago, the guy who showed up to do it had a green tint windshield with him. He insisted on coming back the next day with the amber tint, since he said it would more closely match the tint on the side windows.

You can see it next week if you want to wait.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Some places dont put the glue on the rubber seal when they replace the window and the window ends up leaking later. Lots of vehicles dont need the glue so its a common mistake

There are some threads on mud if you want to research it more
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 07-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Rising Sun member

I would recommend staying with what you have Chris. It is usually matched to the color of the vehicle plus the color of the trim, so I would go with what is already on there or else it might look funny.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Rising Sun Commander

If anyone knows of a good place, with sound 80 knowledge, willingness to glue, etc. I'd be interested to know as well... I've had a crack in mine for a year or so, been thinking I probably oughta replace it some day..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

what I did is dropped my vehicle at Olegs, he had a glass guy come by and do the job in his shop and Oleg provided the new gasket and ensure it was sealed. Course thats easy for me since I can walk to work from Oleg's

I would recommend calling a company and talking to them about how they do it. You should supply an OEM gasket
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 07-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I would recommend staying with what you have Chris. It is usually matched to the color of the vehicle plus the color of the trim, so I would go with what is already on there or else it might look funny.
It's been replaced before and is not a brand I recognize. That's a good idea going to Oleg's. I do have a replacement gasket. Just in case. The fronts look like they have a green tint. The rears, of course, have that brown/gold tint.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

I need to replace my windshield in the 60 as well, are they as picky?
82 FJ40
Old 07-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

I saved $40 by asking for a windshield without the tint band at the top. Also, for my FZJ they wanted $60 for a new gasket (I got the airbag speech about replacing the gasket each time), and the Toyota gasket was $60 - so I bought my own gasket. This was in about 2000, so prices have probably gone up. I was glad I could supply a Toyota gasket, rather than having them possibly use a generic one.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Don't get me started on windshield replacements for the 80!!!!

Whatever you do...get a fresh gasket and have them glue inside and around. And, if you can convince your insurance company, the OEM window is WAAAAAYYYYY better. It is just super expensive.

Mine is still leaking, and I've had the place come back three times. They are refusing to do any more, and I'm currently fighting with my insurance company to try to get them to pay for an OEM windshield. A bunch of idiots. The first time, they used the original gasket and didn't glue, even though I showed them the FSM. Then, duh, it leaked so they came back out and used the same old gasket and glued. It still leaked. Next time they used a cheapy windshield, a new gasket, and glue and it is still leaking. Many posts on MUD about this and in the end the only solution was new gasket, glue, and OEM windshield.

That's where I'm heading if I can get my insurance company to hook me up with the $700 windshield!!!
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"