Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Not an answer to the color question but I remember UB posting up about the 80 series windshields....

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...1&postcount=39

Per UB, "Elite uses PPG......They fit good in the 80!"
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 07-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yes. They have merged with Safelite. Not sure what the implications are of that.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

My experiences:

- Dealership can look up the "correct" tint based on your VIN. IIRC, they're either Green-ish or Gold-ish. Holding a white piece of paper behind the glass may help you see the "-ish-ness".

- Cheaper installers (in my experience, the ones that offer to save you a buck) will use non-PPG/OEM glass and likely scrimp on the new gasket/seal/glue. I've actually had them quote more than twice the dealer retail price for OEM/PPG glass -- I'm guessing because there's little to no margin in it for them.

- If insurance is paying for it, I would take it to the dealer -- they'll be certain its done correctly (come-backs affect their customer-service rating).

- The last time I had it done, it was around $600 at the local Lexus dealer. They did it right, but this is Colorado and it's cracking again a year and half later.

- I *always* watch the installation off and on, and chat up the installer. I ask innocent (nice) questions if something looks a little off, and they always do a "better" job with it. I try not to hover or be a pest, just show up for a few minutes at a time and chat a bit.

- Look closely after they take the glass out. The tools they use will commonly cut the paint & primer, and you can get rust in there. They're *supposed* to grind out any rust and prime anywhere where the paint is damaged. They have special glue-friendly primer.

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 07-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

two years ago, the guy Oleg had come by cost about $200 and it was done right. It is cracked along the bottom from a flying rock.

Who teaches those little rocks to fly anyways?
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 07-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Rising Sun Commander

$600 at the dealer? dang.. and I've got a $1000 deductible too, guess I won't be going to dealer route.

so Ken was that $200 including glass? Or just the install?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

I think that was about everything, but it was 3 or 4 years ago now that I think about it. Could have been $220. I did buy the gasket seperate.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 07-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

We have windshield replacement on our insurance. Karie tells me we don't pay anything extra for it, and it's $0 deductible. I had my glass replaced 3 years ago, and there are no leaks and it still looks great.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Hulk...do you remember who came out to do your window?

Nakman...at the time mine was done, I didn't have any coverage (liability only) so I paid cash. The company lowered the price since I was not billing insurance and I believe it was around $250. But, like I said, they attempted to do it without changing the gasket. You should buy a new OEM gasket at least and then show them what the FSM says they are supposed to do.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 07-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

That was at the Lexus dealer... :princess:

I've been told that the big-name insurers won't cover glass crack issues (I know State Farm doesn't).

Many of the 2nd tier insurers do. Stop by any of the chip repair places and they'll let you know which do and don't.

If the crack is "short", they can probably fill it for a lot less than replacing it.

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 07-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Huh. So yup I'm with State Farm, I just called them to verify- they will cover the $600 windshield it if I want to pay my $1000 deductible My other option is I can buy windshield coverage for $15/6months/vehicle and it will be free replacements, but it wouldn't be able to be used until I replace my current windshields, since that's a pre-existing condition- yes they'd have to inspect them before I get the coverage.

I will think about that one... I guess it would be cheaper particularly if I wanted a new windshield every 2-3 years. I think my current one is 5 years old, honestly can't remember though. Doesn't really change my predicament today though, I guess I could switch to a lower deductible, pay the difference for the change in insurance coverage, get the windshield, then switch back? Seems shady though, borderline fraudulent even..

www.gamiviti.com