Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 07-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
I'll post pictures when I get home...

80 decided to shear off all the knuckle studs and allow the steering to part ways with the wheel bits. It was impressive but not as awesome as stealing studs from the other side and driving on the trail fix. I am hoping that when the wheel tried to leave the truck it destroyed the axle seal but I cannot figure out why there was so much 90 weight pouring out of the axle housing. I drained about a gallon out the knuckle wile trying to bolt the wheel back on.
That's just scary, Mike, where did this happen? All 4 studs broke?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
That's just scary, Mike, where did this happen? All 4 studs broke?
I didn't get any pics of before...this is after stealing studs from the other side for the trail fix. We made it off Tincup and into St. Elmo. Not sure when it failed but going into the first high speed turn, she handled like an old 40. The wheel turned and the steering didn't respond. I guess all those years driving a 40 paid off because we figured a combination of greasy road and aired down tires were to blame. When we pulled off to air up, there was a river of 90 weight flowing and parts were no longer attached. Cheeseman and Jill stuck with me until we had her on the trailer and dad came through with the GMC and trailer all the way from Denver. Big thanks to all! Could have been a very, very, bad ending if the failure occured anywhere other than where she decided to die.

added action pic of the repair...
Attached Images

pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Last edited by treerootCO; 07-29-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

DANG Mike!!! Glad it turned out as well as it did.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 07-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

As said, it was a GREAT event - On with the pictures

Looking back toward Middle Quartz - you can see FR 839 cutting across the side of the mountain (center of pic)

Some of the sites to see

West Side of Hancock Pass

Marco coming up the west side of Hancock Pass....We'll come back to this picture later...

Chris and Art coming up...

Burrito anyone?

At the top...

Kids doing what they do best...Playing

Nakman took some of the kids on a lion hunt

Panorama looking north from Hancock pass

Heading back down the west side of Hancock pass

Smile!!

Looking at the west side of Tomichi Pass from Hancock Pass

If you don't know what this is then you weren't listening to Nathaniel's history lesson

Where's Perry? We'll come back to this pic too...

Tomichi 'bridge'

Little waterfall/spring on the east side of Tomichi Pass

Tomichi Cementary

Heading toward Black Sage Pass

Beginning of the back way route into Middle Quartz...Or so we believe

Another shot of the 'back way' - beautiful drive

Nathaniel explains the Alpine Tunnel turntable

Looking down the east side of Hancock Pass

Group heading down the east side of Hancock Pass, headed for home...

Click here for a slideshow of these pics

Click here for a slideshow of all my GTR '09 pics
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 07-28-2009, 03:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Recovery effort...

This was a much discussed "event"...We are all VERY grateful that everything turned out as well as it did...I was extremely impressed with both Tim and Michele's 'calmness' during this, especially Michele while she climbed into the back seats to get the little ones out

I mentioned coming back to this picture in my earlier post...The area with the red circle is where the event took place...
Name:  Nakari 5.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  127.3 KB

In this pic, Perry is just below the area...
Name:  Nakari 6.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  116.4 KB

What we saw coming up from behind Tim

As you can see, there is pretty much nothing to strap to or winch to etc. in the area other than the one tree on the wrong side of the trail. There was a tree maybe 50 yards up the trail on the uphill side but given how loose the ground is in the area, who knows if it would have held...

A better view of just how precarious it was...by this time Marco and Tim had devised a plan which included getting everyone out of Tim's truck and my truck for obvious reasons...

This is last shot I took before concentrating on being a good "anchor"...In the end we moved my truck as high toward the uphill side as we could and I tried to keep Tim's rear end from sliding further down the hill while he winched his front end up to the blue FJC...As heavy as the LX is, through this Tim's truck still managed to pull my front end over to the edge...

Kudos to all involved, especially Marco and Tim for coming up with the plan...I'm sure we all learned from this. It was a stressful trip the rest of the way to the top and I for one hugged the uphill side of the trail for sure...Also, no matter how easy you think the trail runs are going to be on any given day, DON'T leave your recovery gear (straps, shackles, etc.) at home. I did and I felt helpless when Tim was calling out for a strap
TLCA #17037

:

Old 07-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Many Thanks!

Stacy and I just wanted to thank everyone on the Ghost Town Run for being so welcoming to first-timers and for making this an awesome trip! You all are the best group of people we have met in a long time - and we hope to see you all again at an event in the near future. The professionalism with which this run was conducted truly impressed us.

A special thanks to Nathaniel - your leadership and history lessons made us feel that we were on a guided tour. Cheeseman and Jill - thanks for leading us safely up the trails. Thanks to Subzali - if it wasn't for your Ham communications prior to St. Elmo - we wouldn't have made it to Saturdays trail runs. And Terry - Stacy says "thanks for sharing your wine!" Again - thanks to everyone involved - see you soon.

Will post some pics soon.

-- Sean
Old 07-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Thanks for the pics Jeff, you know like the say it never looks that bad in the picture, always feels worse in real life. Anyway that last one was the first setup.. where we got it secured enough to think about our next move. The second revision involved swapping your strap with a short treesaver, and swapping the strap on the FJ out with my winch cable. With you keeping the back end in check, several guys on a strap on the B pillar, I had the security I needed to drive/winch the front end back up off of the FJ-

One of the best things I took from my Robbie/Chris Nelson Trail Team training a few years back is the quote "don't just do something, stand there!" implying that you shouldn't rush into every recovery situation- secure the truck, get everyone safe, but unless the world is about to end think for a minute and come up with a good plan. We really did a good job at this and I'm glad it happened in a manner that everyone involved could learn something, I know I did and always do.

www.gamiviti.com

Last edited by nakman; 07-28-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Rising Sun member

When Jacki and I walked back down to where you guys were, I was thinking through my head how I would try and rig up your truck if it were me in charge. I thought if we could get a truck in front to be as close as possible to you so that the pull on your winch would be sideways that would probably be best. When I arrived I saw that you had done just that, plus you had secured the back end, and I knew it had taken some good, careful thinking and no over-reacting to come to that conclusion. I was very impressed with the way the recovery went.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

Looks like a great run. Sorry to have missed it.

I remember that stretch on Tomichi from last year when Matt, Wes, Ige and myself ran it. We spent a few minutes with shovels leveling that section of trail before driving by. It was really loose and off camber. Here's a pic of Wes' 70 going over that stretch but in the opposite direction.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Wincher

Send a message via AIM to cougar337

My wife Christie and I rode up with Treeroot in the white FJ80 and we both had a GREAT time! Christie fell and sprained her ankle pretty bad at the top of Hancock pass but she was a trooper and made it through the rest of the trip. I have never been on this run and have always wanted to go so a big thank you to Nathaniel and the rest of the Rising Sun crew for allowing me to tag along for this one.

It was really great to meet some new faces and see see those I have met before on other runs. The pot luck was amazing as it usually is with this group and there was so much food I didn't know where to begin. Another big thanks to Cheeseman and Jill for sticking with us all the way to Denver when we were having trouble with the FJ80.

Here are some of our photos. you can click the link for the rest:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cougar3...7621750753327/

My wife Christie, Mike (Treeroot) and myself Ian

Lined up for the beginning of our run near St. Elmo

Perry getting the shots that few others get

Subzali helping out a mountain biker with a flat tire. This is why I love this group. they are willing to help out ANYONE in need!!

Dry Stack rock Palisades

Williams Pass sign showing the dates it's open

At the gate near Alpine Tunnel