Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 07-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default CB SWR Meter control

I have a brand new Uniden 510 that I'm putting into the FJ40. I am a ham guy all the way, but found I missed being in the CB loop on the BOWAGW run. Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of communication on the 146.460 during the run and I was never out of contact with the Leader or Gunner - its just a gabby guy like me wants to maximize my gabbing opportunities.

So on to my post. I borrowed an SWR Meter to use in tuning my antenna. This afternoon I hooked everything up on the bench and my SWR readings are off the chart. It could be the cheap antenna or it could be the SWR meter. I am pretty confident the CB is good as it is brand new, of course it could turn out to be bad.

Anyone out there interested in a experiment to help narrow down the variables? If you have a good CB installation and SWR meter I would like to compare the readings of your SWR meter to the readings on my borrowed SWR meter. If the meters read the same, it is just the empirical evidence needed to get a better antenna. If the meters don't read the same, it is just the empirical evidence I need to share with the meters owner when I tell him "SWR meter don't work".

Of course, if it turns out the meter is not good - I'd likely want to borrow your meter to tune my antenna.
TLCA #18941
Old 07-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Hmmm....

Interested in the findings of course
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

Sounds like you need to make a trip to Radio Service Center. He helped me trouble shoot my CB trouble. Nice guy.
KDGWM
Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

I bet it is reading right, Ricardo. I tried to blame my radio, meter and cables. It turned out that my antenna tune was really that bad. My problem was reflection. I had the antenna mounted in the bed of my 4runner, INSIDE the top. Not good.

Even trying to tune the antenna with it mounted higher, I found the aluminum garage door really made it un-tunable. I had to park in the street to get the meter to work right so I could tune my antenna.

First thing to check for is a short at the antenna mount using your good ol' ohm meter. I bet that covers 9 out of 10 "cb problems."

I can bring my SWR meter to he meeting Wednesday. I MAY even have the truck!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
I bet it is reading right, Ricardo. I tried to blame my radio, meter and cables. It turned out that my antenna tune was really that bad. My problem was reflection. I had the antenna mounted in the bed of my 4runner, INSIDE the top. Not good.

Even trying to tune the antenna with it mounted higher, I found the aluminum garage door really made it un-tunable. I had to park in the street to get the meter to work right so I could tune my antenna.
- You may be on to something here. My "bench" consisted of setting everything up on my parts washer inside the garage. I had the antenna wire all bundled up (IIRC it was coiled) and the whole works being inside was likely not helping matters. I know better, but sometimes it is the basics that we get tripped up on.
TLCA #18941
Old 07-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

I didn't catch the details in your first post that you were SWR testing it outside your vehicle. The only results that will matter will be with the radio and antenna installed and your vehicle out in an open area. If it's still giving you grief, I'll have my 40 with CB and SWR at the rally and we can compare.
KDGWM
Old 07-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

I went to the local park that is clear and hooked everything up with the same results. Spanky, if I can't lay my hands on an SWR meter between now an next Wed., we'll compare the SWR meters before the meeting.
TLCA #18941
Old 07-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

I stopped by Radio Service Center on Sheridan to pick up Wilson 4' flex antenna, mount and some coax. The gentleman there was very nice, patient and listened to what I was experiencing with the SWR meter. I left it with him to check out and headed home. I just got off the phone with him and there is the meter is not good. It is not a typical problem, loose connection, bad solder connection, etc. which is easily remedied. His next step would be a detailed process along the lines of replacing parts until he got the bad component replaced. While there are not many parts in an SWR meter, it would end up costing more than the meter is worth work through the further diagnosis/repair. I'll stop by there on the way home tomorrow and pick up the meter and get a new one.
TLCA #18941
Old 07-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Success.

My FJ40 is now old technology compatible with a Uniden 510XL, and Wilson 4' Flex antenna. My SWR is tuned for channel 4 with a reading just over 1.4 and my channel 40 reading is just under 1.6.

In typical FJ40 fashion, the job could not be completed without using the grinder. I mounted the antenna to my front bumper, which is made from c-channel. I had to grind down the bumper surface and make it thinner so the two halves of the antenna mount could be screwed together. It was a good time to break out the rattle can to touch up the scrapes.

Spanky, I just was too impatient to wait until next week, but thanks for offering to bring your meter to the meeting.
TLCA #18941