Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Rising Sun member

I'm so mad after watching that video I could start cursing. What in the WORLD is wrong with our government? In whose mind was it a good idea for the environment to crush and trash perfectly good cars? That has GOT to be the least effective way of using all these cars that have been traded in! Obama's so interested in giving everything to the poor, why doesn't he give these old cars to the poor? Or geez instead of just completely wasting the money by having them crushed, why not sell them to Mexico or some place where they are always dragging old wrecks anyway? I bet by reselling them we could have gotten some of our money back from the program and stayed under the $1 billion limit, rather than increasing it another $2 billion out of frickin' thin air! What kind of Fed chairman do we have that can pull money out of a frickin' hat?

By the way that video was just sickening - my heart rate probably went up to 150-160! I wish I could have ran in there to stop them! DO THEY UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY ARE DOING!?!?!?!?!?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Trail Ready

They're not pulling money out of thin air, they're stealing it from your paycheck. Working for a living will soon be one of the stupidest things anybody could do!

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is currently for sale
Old 08-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Miller View Post
They're not pulling money out of thin air, they're stealing it from your paycheck. Working for a living will soon be one of the stupidest things anybody could do!
I think we need to bring this video back to the top...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 08-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

If it makes you guys feel any better, pretty much all the "clunkers" we have taken in have been 1/2 ton platform GM products. (pick ups, suburbans, tahoe, etc..)
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Its like Crash said - its the person who traded in the 62 who is the posterchild for what is wrong with society. The government did not pick the vehicle.
Also, does the government prevent it being parted out?

A government program to remove less fuel efficient cars/trucks/whatever is not in itself a bad idea. Its all in the execution. Does the reduction in quantity of fuel efficient cars really make up for the new production? Likely this is just a way to boost new car sales negotiated in a back room by the US automakers.

I still prefer the CCC and WWW model - just put the unemployed to work in low paying basic jobs on public works projects.

BTW, I watched it all and the damn cruiser ran 12 minutes!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

We were forced to kill a FJ80. It was hammered and the PO stripped off what they wanted. But I was told it took some time to kill it. We have only had 2 other Toyota's traded on the clunker bill. A taco with front end damage and a 4runner with blown HG's. Everything else has been big 3 junk that probably was near its time anyway.

I will base my opinion on this bill after its all said and done. I want to see what happens when the money is gone.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-09-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
What a waste. So wrong...

I AM doing my part to help save the environment. I drive a recycled vehicle that is worth fixing. How much pollution and waste comes from every new plastic piece of crap car made in 2009 that will have a shorter life and end up in a landfill anyway...

I hate our throw-away culture.
Really good point! This is pretty awful.

2004 Audi A4: 4 RINGS
1981 FJ60: 6 LEAKY RINGS

--KG4JJW--
Old 08-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Uh oh, troubles in paradise... http://www.manufacturing.net/article.aspx?id=212680

Quote:
'Cash For Clunkers' Hits Speed Bump

Manufacturing.Net - August 17, 2009

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) -- Joy from boosted auto sales and increased showroom traffic has been replaced by frustration as auto dealers wait for Cash for Clunkers repayments.

Delayed government reimbursements have caused many dealers to hold off on making new deals and at least one Mississippi dealer has decided to stop participating.

"I quit," Rudy Dossett Jr., of Dossett Big 4 dealerships in Tupelo said. "We have told people 'Come get your clunker and go somewhere else.' I don't want anything to do with the program."

Dossett, who sells GMCs, Buicks, Cadillacs and Hondas, has 11-14 applications awaiting approval but will not do anymore.

He said he is owed about $45,000 for clunkers and has not heard when he might get the money.

Dealers are to be paid within 10 days after a completed application is submitted, according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, which is running the program. But if an incomplete application is rejected, it goes to the back of the line when it is resubmitted. The agency is holding information sessions with dealers and has increased its computer network capacity to help process applications.

But dealers say the government is not meeting the timeline.

Watson Quality dealerships in Jackson and Canton submitted 48 applications as of Friday afternoon, general manager Cliff Mitchell said.

"We are still doing deals and still haven't seen any money yet," Mitchell said.

Walt Massey, chairman of the Mississippi Auto Dealers Association, said a majority of dealers, including him, have stopped accepting clunkers until some reimbursements arrive.

"It is an incentive for the consumer but they are putting the burden on the dealer to collect the money," he said.

The program aimed at replacing older vehicles with more fuel efficient models gives consumers a $3,500 or $4,500 credit depending on the vehicle.

Massey, who owns a GM dealership in Lucedale and four others in Alabama, said a $4,500 clunker credit is about triple the profit a dealership receives on each new car sale.

"We are not (just) waiting to get our profit," he said of the credit. "We are in the hole."

He said if a car sells for $18,000 and the customer receives a $4,500 manufacturer's rebate and $4,500 from the clunker program, then a dealer is left waiting for $9,000 -- half the sale price.

He said manufacturers pay dealers two to three weeks after a car is sold. In the meantime, dealers have to keep paying salaries and other operating costs.

Mitchell said because of the large volume his dealership moves normally, they have been able to wait on the government to fix problems with the system.

"There are not a lot of dealers with that type of cash flow," Mitchell said.

Dealers seem most frustrated by the lack of information coming from the government.

Dossett predicted some businesses that took in many clunkers may end up in bankruptcy because of slow government payments.

Massey and Mitchell said they have each assigned a full-time employee to file clunker applications with the government.

"This is a college graduate that I am having to pay $65,000 a year to sit on the phone," Massey said. The employee was recently on the hold for six hours without talking to a person, Massey said.

"It is a good-natured program and the purpose's intent is great for the consumer, dealer and good for the environment," Massey said.

Another concern has been whether funds will be gone and dealers will be on the hook for tens of thousands in unpaid reimbursements. And because they have to disable the vehicle engine, the trade-in vehicles are scrap metal.

As of Friday, the agency had received 358,851 applications nationwide valued at more than $1.5 billion. The program has a $3 billion pot and will run until Nov. 1 or when the funds are spent. The agency does not track how much money has been paid out.

But Massey said the program has been more popular than anyone contemplated.

"We need to give the government a little bit of a break. They weren't prepared and had no way of knowing what the response would be."

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

This is how this works....the government starts by making people feel entitled. The next step is a planned poor execution of making people feel entitled. The final step is to seek total control as soon as you have the majority convinced the plan has failed. The sad part is people will blindly give the government total control...

Apply this to health care, cash for clunkers, bailouts, etc.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
This is how this works....the government starts by making people feel entitled. The next step is a planned poor execution of making people feel entitled. The final step is to seek total control as soon as you have the majority convinced the plan has failed. The sad part is people will blindly give the government total control...

Apply this to health care, cash for clunkers, bailouts, etc.
I was reading the other day that besides Congress, some private citizens have (or had) the option of not enrolling in Social Security and Medicaid/Medicare. For example the clergy have this choice to consciously refrain from feeding at the trough. No idea how many do. The draw to public teat is strong (particular when they consider that opting out of Social Security also means not receiving Medicare as older sages), even for morally principled people who vow not to pray to false gods.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler