Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 07-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 5th Annual Ghost Town Run

Early report as the group is not finished yet. I had to depart last night so I can only comment on Saturday's activities.

First, it was a great day! I think we had 24 rigs in all. Some joined up at St. Elmo on Sat while others came early.

A BIG thanks to Groucho (Nathaniel) for excellent leadership and commentary on the history and countryside. It is always a pleasure to be on one of his runs.

A second big thanks to the experienced folks (Cheeseman, Rover67 and several others) who assisted in a recovery that could have been very serious. I will let others brief you on this as I was up front and did not see what happened first hand. We all need to appreciate the value of these experienced folks in our group.

We had a wonderful pot luck dinner at camp, again with more food than we could possibly eat. And Barb Miller made her famous dutch oven cherry cobler. I proposed shortly after tasting my first bite, out of earshot of Bruce.

Great group and a fun time. I will post a few more pics. Thanks again to all. Terry
Attached Images

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"

Last edited by ttubb; 07-26-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Upload of pics
Old 07-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Rising Sun member

Don't know how to convey the awesomeness of the weekend! Jacki and I had a great time, always love hearing and talking to Nathaniel about the history of the areas we go to, and I want to thank everybody for being so gracious to my copilot and I am honored to have been recognized in the "public" setting around the campfire for our upcoming marriage and also for the little influence I had on the route that was chosen this year! Also want to thank Tim Nakari for keeping a cool head the whole day, from half hanging off a loose rock ledge (serious ) to helping us find our way out of the labyrinthian trail system we got ourselves into while trying to find the "back way" into the campground on Saturday. Thanks to Marco for taking leadership when it was needed, and for shepherding a group of trucks over Hancock Pass back to St. Elmo today. Thank you Treeroot for the amazing pasta you cooked up Saturday night, it was amazing. And thank you to the Millers for putting on an outstanding run yet again!
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

We had a great time and can't wait to see everyone again soon. Thanks to all there for such a good atmospere. I got a kick out of all the different routes used to arrive and depart the event. 2m allowed us to communicate well. Last year's GTR convinced us we needed to go HAM. I'm glad I have, mostly so I don't miss out on Nathaniel's historic snipits. I'm happy that the kids are such a big part of this event.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Awesome run, thanks again Groucho & family for all the efforts at setup. And special thanks to Marco, Subzali, Jacket, Jethro, Perry, Corsair & family, PhatFJ, Chris, Cheeseman, and I'm sorry anyone else who pitched in that I may have been too busy to recognize... we absolutely owned that recovery effort- I never once doubted our success. Next time I do Tomichi I'm going to hug the bank a little more on that loose part..

And you know, the extra credit "get lost" run on Saturday afternoon was a ton of fun when you think about, I'd do that one again. Lots of pics, but here are a few highlights of a couple of you guys...

edit: and one video of Terry on one of the many gorgeous sections of the Saturday afternoon "shortcut" back to camp run.. link.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Last edited by nakman; 07-27-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

I will post an "official" trip report tomorrow. Right now just want to relax after a great weekend.
Here are a couple of teaser shots to spark everyone's interest...
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

OK. 5 more and that's it tonight.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Wow, that's all I can say for this years run. I'll start my own picture thread but here are a few.

Marco, your becoming a valuable asset to the club. Always fun to hang out with you, Allison and Mead. Sorry I bailed on dinner.

Thank you everybody for making this run what it is. Something I very much look forward to every year. And Thank you Nathaniel, Terry and others for putting up with me.

See you guys next year, same time and place
Attached Images

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 07-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Just got back and all unloaded!

Allison, Mead, and I had a wonderfull time this weekend with a great group. Thanks to Nathaniel and the others who set everything up (and tore down), it was quite a site we had all to ourselves. I have to say it was very nice to roll in friday night and have a nice campfire waiting .

Saturday was a great day even though the trip up Tomichi got a little exciting. Thanks to everybody who helped get Tim's truck back on the road. I have to say that one of the big reasons I love wheeling with the folks in this club is that everybody knows how to keep situations like that from getting worse... and I've learned a ton from everybody.

Driving through those Aspen groves on the "extra credit" portion after Tomichi was super gorgeous and relaxing, and finally getting into camp with a big potluck waiting after the long day just put the icing on the cake!

We had a blast today exploring the Alping Tunnel area, seeing a piece of history that well preserved was a real treat.

Unfortunatly we did not bring a camera this time so we don't have any pictures to add

Thanks again to everybody for a heck of a trip!
82 FJ40
Old 07-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Thanks Again Nathaniel and Andrea!

We'll be back next year! I didn't get many pics but here's our parting shot.
Attached Images

TLCA#4180
Old 07-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
Thanks Again Nathaniel and Andrea!

We'll be back next year! I didn't get many pics but here's our parting shot.
Wes,

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"